HOLY $H!T - Man-sized UPS

I didn't see them use the stabilizer brackets which is required and included for their unit installation to prevent the tipping hazard the 12 slot tower presents.

The manual states, 

Spoiler

Stabilizer Bracket Installation (Twelve-Slot Cabinet Only) The 12-slot Eaton 9170+ UPS cabinet with non-isolated output is shipped with two stabilizer brackets. These brackets must be attached to the wall or the floor behind the UPS cabinet. Under all module-loading conditions, they act as a protective stop to prevent the cabinet from falling forward if it is unintentionally pushed away from the wall. Each bracket has holes that enable it to be attached by screws to either the wall or the floor (or both) behind the intended cabinet installation (see Figure 8). The stabilizer brackets are not attached to the cabinet base itself.

Untitled.png.19049c9a2b0a5824efc66108f0a

Would be very bad if linus got crushed by the man sized UPS. Please don't just drywall back up the closet just put a door in or something so you can remove it if you need to.

A temperature switched blower that can be run off the UPS is needed as well because the room will overheat if your HVAC goes down in the outage and the servers/UPS running full tilt in that tiny room would get toasty really fast even with a vented door.

13 minutes ago, gonvres said:

$1000 car, $17,000 UPS.

Got his priorities straight then!

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Saw it from start to end and I gotta say, it's sweet and all, but the server extension area will likely be sealed of and it wont be seeing the light of day so long as it works fine. It's saddens me a bit to hide expensive hardware hidden in a cubby-hole.

Just now, leonard_sun said:

Saw it from start to end and I gotta say, it's sweet and all, but the server extension area will likely be sealed of and it wont be seeing the light of day so long as it works fine. It's saddens me a bit to hide expensive hardware hidden in a cubby-hole.

It would also be bad for servicing if they have to take modules out of the UPS or replace a battery. They should just add a second door or a removable panel at least. It is also not very code compliant to make it difficult to reach the electrical disconnect switch.

This isn't a UPS. This is a mini power station.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Did you guys consider a Tesla battery wall? Or are they not available yet? Too expensive maybe? 

Was it much more profitable to get that man-sized battery? 

The End is Near

Most recent benchmark: Click

18 minutes ago, Zjurc said:

Did you guys consider a Tesla battery wall? Or are they not available yet? Too expensive maybe? 

Was it much more profitable to get that man-sized battery? 

they needed something that is more enterprise because servers :)

consumers dont need all this fancy enterprise stuff, but they (LMG) do :)

Just now, mikat said:

they needed something that is more enterprise because servers :)

consumers dont need all this fancy enterprise stuff, but they (LMG) do :)

Ah, Okay :) Thanks.

The End is Near

Most recent benchmark: Click

Does anybody else feel that the server room is not adequate enough? Its just a wood and drywall closet... Does not seem to be very fireproof to me. The disconnect breaker also should have a lot more room around the front of it. 100 amps is nothing to play around with. 

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

Why no go with a standby generator? Like this one: 25000w Standby Generator

Can run continuously till it runs out of fuel? Also can be non power interrupting? and use the power backups that you already have? 

i7 4790k 4.7ghz 1.28v | Gigabyte G1 970 | 16gb Hyper X RAM | 240+500gb SSD / 3tb HHD

colinrupp.com | sailorcolin youtube | Overland Ready Xterra

1 hour ago, sailorcolin said:

Why no go with a standby generator? Like this one: 25000w Standby Generator

What Linus and crew are doing is building a (very) mini data center.  Generally, DCs don't run on electrical power from a sub station directly, they run on batteries.  The sub station feeds the batteries.  In the case of power outages (lines, lightning, etc), they'll fire up whatever form of generator they have which will continue to keep the batteries charged.

Running off of batteries is the purest way to prevent any power disruptions, power spikes, etc.  It's just smooth, constant, and perfectly-conditioned DC power.  Obviously, you need to keep those batteries charged, and that's where the power (from the building, from a generator, from ...) comes into play.

They're doing the right thing.  They just need to vent that room a lot better.  Keeping batteries buttoned up on a small closet like that is a recipe for disaster.  They out-gas, and you do NOT want that bottled up.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |