HOLY $H!T - Man-sized UPS

3 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

They're doing the right thing.  They just need to vent that room a lot better.  Keeping batteries buttoned up on a small closet like that is a recipe for disaster.  They out-gas, and you do NOT want that bottled up.

Actually in the moving vlogs they say there is high power ventilation system in that room. don't remember which one has him talking about it but you can see it in this shot @5:17   

Just now, WillG said:

Actually in the moving vlogs they say there is high power ventilation system in that room. 

Good deal.  That'll prevent the badness.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

How long will that UPS power your smartphone?

Will it offer all day battery life for a single smartphone or laptop?

You should do a mod where you reduce it to 1 power module and fill the rest of the slots with batteries, then wire in a switching buck regulator for a 5V output, then create the ultimate "portable" (it has wheels) USB power bank for your smart phone.

5 hours ago, BlackUnicornGaming said:

maybe they didn't want anyone to see that it isn't working

Ya this whole time they actually ran out of video ideas so now there making fake videos. Lol.

It's starting to feel like these holy $hit videos are just the old unboxing/first look format but with the price in the title and the what the product is dumbed down to get more clicks.

Well Linus, apparently half-decent minds think alike, albeit, on vastly different scales. Due to the frequent power outages I've been having lately, I bit the bullet myself yesterday and grabbed a UPS. This is quite funny for some odd reason.

Slogan for UPS: They say lightning never strikes twice, but UPS users know even once is too many. xD

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 hours ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

Does anybody else feel that the server room is not adequate enough? Its just a wood and drywall closet... Does not seem to be very fireproof to me. The disconnect breaker also should have a lot more room around the front of it. 100 amps is nothing to play around with. 

You do realize that drywall itself is a fire resistant material right? And you also do realize that if there were to be a fire, the cost of "fire proofing" a room would be pretty high? That's what insurance and backups are for.

While 100 amps "is nothing to play around with", you do realize that your home electrical panel most likely has a 200 amp breaker in it too, right? There are clearance requirements for electrical panels though.

Excellent choice, I negotiated Eaton UPS products for our data centres for years replacing APC's a very long time ago.  Fantastic products, not 1 bad thing to say about them.

You know I really like the holy shit line of videos, but you guys really should slow them down a bit. You won't have cool shit to show off after a few more weeks like these last two.

It's more like something I'd like to see weekly.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, beavo451 said:

You do realize that drywall itself is a fire resistant material right? And you also do realize that if there were to be a fire, the cost of "fire proofing" a room would be pretty high? That's what insurance and backups are for.

While 100 amps "is nothing to play around with", you do realize that your home electrical panel most likely has a 200 amp breaker in it too, right? There are clearance requirements for electrical panels though.

Drywall in itself doesn't give much of a fire rating probably 30 minutes tops. You need to stack them up if you want a decent fire rating. Using mineral/rock wool insulation also bolsters your fire rating. Then seal all penetrations with intumescent sealant and use radiation dampers on all ventilation openings. Then you can get a proper 1 hour+ rating easily.

10 hours ago, WillG said:

Actually in the moving vlogs they say there is high power ventilation system in that room. don't remember which one has him talking about it but you can see it in this shot @5:17   

Except in a power outage the HVAC air handler will shut down and the room could be without ventilation in the middle of summer for an hour with 5000W of equipment running. (It will get boiling hot in there) Just plug a thermostatically controlled blower to the power outlet on the UPS so it comes on if the room temp gets too high.

Nice little box, did you put in a maintenance wrap around in case you need to do work on it?  I used to work for Eaton doing the startup and repairs on the big ones.  That picture is a 4 unit parallel 9390 at 160kVA each.

2012-11-12 10.18.33.jpg

Just now, iPolymer said:

So do you need a UPS for a small home NAS?

If your using a raid array and have a write cache enabled (for best performance) yes you should have a small UPS that has a USB connection to shut the NAS down properly.

2 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

If your using a raid array and have a write cache enabled (for best performance) yes you should have a small UPS that has a USB connection to shut the NAS down properly.

So would it be For 6 HDD's or the riad card?

1 minute ago, iPolymer said:

So would it be For 6 HDD's or the riad card?

Well both actually. Especially if your using a hardware raid card and its write cache. The main thing is that you need to gracefully shut down otherwise there is a risk that either the raid card won't flush or the OS will corrupt something in the hard shut down. 

Generally speaking unless you disable all write caching even on a regular PC you should have a UPS or you risk data corruption on a power failure. A NAS just has more important data so you really don't want it getting corrupted on a power failure. A raid card is even more vulnerable to a sudden power cut as they can have large DRAM buffers that take some time to flush to the disks.

16 hours ago, sailorcolin said:

Why no go with a standby generator? Like this one: 25000w Standby Generator

Can run continuously till it runs out of fuel? Also can be non power interrupting? and use the power backups that you already have? 

You would still need a UPS this size to carry the load till the generator can start up after a power failure. And almost always there is an extra delay added after power loss before starting the generator since most outages are short and starting the gens to run for a minute is not a good idea.

A UPS is the first step: Keep the load running long enough for a safe shutdown.

A generator is the next step: Keep the load running 24/7/365. This is typically not something most need unless power outages are expected frequently.

2 hours ago, iPolymer said:

So do you need a UPS for a small home NAS?

If the data is important and you already have a backup system in place for it (like an offline external HDDs everything is cloned to periodically then stored somewhere safe), and if you have the budget for it (around $120), then a small UPS would not be a bad idea.

If you have a desktop that is important (like for work), then a single UPS for the both would good.

For things like this, you should try a cost-benefit analysis/thought experiment. Example, If my workstation looses power while I'm in the middle of a project and if that causes lose of work that could result in costly delay to recover, or worse, complete lost back to last backup; is this greater than the cost of something that could mitigate this risk?

8 minutes ago, Kadah said:

You would still need a UPS this size to carry the load till the generator can start up after a power failure. And almost always there is an extra delay added after power loss before starting the generator since most outages are short and starting the gens to run for a minute is not a good idea.

A UPS is the first step: Keep the load running long enough for a safe shutdown.

A generator is the next step: Keep the load running 24/7/365. This is typically not something most need unless power outages are expected frequently.

If the data is important and you already have a backup system in place for it (like an offline external HDDs everything is cloned to periodically then stored somewhere safe), and if you have the budget for it (around $120), then a small UPS would not be a bad idea.

If you have a desktop that is important (like for work), then a single UPS for the both would good.

For things like this, you should try a cost-benefit analysis/thought experiment. Example, If my workstation looses power while I'm in the middle of a project and if that causes lose of work that could result in costly delay to recover, or worse, complete lost back to last backup; is this greater than the cost of something that could mitigate this risk?

There is also a stabilization time for the generator itself as well and you generally don't want to suddenly apply all loads to the generator (going from idle to 150% inrush surge could cause a voltage sag, generator trip) Basically you probably want at least 20-30 minutes of backup time to cover any problems like say the automatic starter failing to automatically start.

A generator hooked to natural gas can also make fuelling easy (although in a super catastrophic disaster the gas main could be damaged). Having large fuel tanks is a pain due to the chance it might leak.

4 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

There is also a stabilization time for the generator itself as well and you generally don't want to suddenly apply all loads to the generator (going from idle to 150% inrush surge could cause a voltage sag, generator trip) Basically you probably want at least 20-30 minutes of backup time to cover any problems like say the automatic starter failing to automatically start.

A generator hooked to natural gas can also make fuelling easy (although in a super catastrophic disaster the gas main could be damaged). Having large fuel tanks is a pain due to the chance it might leak.

Generators are usually tested regularly with the load they are to run along with the UPS. I don't think inrush isn't really a factor here as the load is already running normally and the gen will be brought up to level to carry that, the UPS system will manage the transfer of the source from battery to gen once ready.

My experience here is limited, I had a big gen at my first/last job, but I was an entry level part-timer working extra hours for summer at the main office. The only involvement I had in that project was on-site location, unpackaging, and initial base installation of the UPS system for the electricians to complete later after I was back at my at usual campus for fall when the generator would arrive. (I missed all the fun!)

You'd size the battery capacity to something like [time to full shutdown] + [generator startup] + [startup delay] + [% safety fudge] < [expected battery capacity after 3 years]. Once runtime gets close [time to full shutdown] without mains returning or backup power online, it should start the automatic shutdown of the load.

I live in California, every generator I've seen or dealt with as been natural gas.

Main issue with fuel tanked types is that you have to worry about old fuel. The storage life of diesel is 6-12 months. Liquid propane or similar would be much longer, but with higher setup costs.

I visited this "UPS" last week in Oregon. Capable of powering a city (1.25 mega-watt-hours) of ~160,000 people for 15-20 mins. EATON makes some cool stuff. This is what $25mill can buy you for back up power.

The Inverters (20 of them in this room):20160210_103509.thumb.jpg.6b0663950e5020

The Lithium-ion battery banks:

20160210_102525.thumb.jpg.0465d9f7f21de120160210_103717.thumb.jpg.6203e5cc40dad6

The Eaton UPS (9390) for the electronics that run this room:  

20160210_104122.thumb.jpg.d19020ce180448

More picture if you are interested: http://imgur.com/a/RHxXO

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

20 minutes ago, xentric said:

I visited this "UPS" last week in Oregon. Capable of powering a city (1.25 mega-watt-hours) of ~160,000 people for 15-20 mins. EATON makes some cool stuff. This is what $25mill can buy you for back up power.

The Inverters (20 of them in this room):

The Lithium-ion battery banks:

20160210_103717.thumb.jpg.6203e5cc40dad6

Strange are those yellow wires going to the lithium batteries look like Ethernet cables are they being used for balancing or a pack level monitoring boards.

1 minute ago, Roawoao said:

Strange are those yellow wires going to the lithium batteries Ethernet cables are they being used for balancing or a pack level monitoring boards.

Yes that is part of the "CAS" system (I think is what they called it because there is no ground). Each battery has a chip in it and they can monitor voltage, temperature and many more. All those go into that rack at the end of the aisle then to the main system.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q