Interesting Observation about best GPUs at each price point.

DocSwag

I'm sure some of you might have noticed this before, but I felt like posting this anyways :)

So if you look at the best GPU at each price point:

$650-980 ti>r9 fury x

$500-r9 nano or r9 fury> gtx 980

$400-r9 390x

$300-r9 390>gtx 970

$250-r9 380x

$200-r9 380>gtx 960

$150-gtx 950>r7 370

$100-r7 360x or gtx 750 ti

If you note at EVERY price point except 400 and 250 dollars the better gpu is the one based on a cut down GPU. For example, the 980 ti is a slightly cut down gm200 GPU. It competes with the fury x, which is a fully enabled fiji GPU.

The only exceptions to this are the r9 390x and r9 380x, with the only reason being they don't have an Nvidia equivalent (yet). As well at $100 this doesn't hold but that's because the two competitors are both fully enabled GPUs.

I found this interesting and felt like sharing it with you guys :)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Interesting chart. But what exactly do you mean by a "cut down" GPU?

4 minutes ago, Idefix said:

Interesting chart. But what exactly do you mean by a "cut down" GPU?

You would take a Titan X for example, and take away CUDA cores and memory, thus making a 980Ti, that's an over simplified explanation, but holds true.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

The problem is your chart is biased, therefore not accurate and throws off your results. Therefore your hypothesis needs revision.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

You would take a Titan X for example, and take away CUDA cores and memory, thus making a 980Ti, that's an over simplified explanation, but holds true.

Oh ok, Thanks!

The problem is your chard is biased, therefore not accurate and throws off your results. Therefore you hypothesis needs revision.

I've looked at multiple benchmarks and reviews and this the conclusion I've come to as for best GPU for each price point.

If you believe a different GPU is better at one of the price points you can show me the benchmarks that prove that. I am happy to change the chart.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, App4that said:

The problem is your chard is biased, therefore not accurate and throws off your results. Therefore your hypothesis needs revision.

Can you show data?

Just now, Idefix said:

Oh ok, Thanks!

Your welcome.

The problem is your chard is biased, therefore not accurate and throws off your results. Therefore your hypothesis needs revision.

What's a chard? ;)

Just now, Idefix said:

Can you show data?

Sure, at reference clock speeds the two cards are similar in average fps throughout the game, but watch until the end when the 970 is overclock.

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

What's a chard? ;)

Good catch, edited.

Sure, at reference clock speeds the two cards are similar in average fps throughout the game, but watch until the end when the 970 is overclock.

But that would be with an overclock. We should probably use stock speeds for a good comparison of the actual GPU. However, given that some may overclock, you point could be valid, though not all will do this

Just now, Idefix said:

But that would be with an overclock. We should probably use stock speeds for a good comparison of the actual GPU. However, given that some may overclock, you point could be valid, though not all will do this

The 970 gain less from overclocking, but also overclocks much better than a 390.

But the main issue is that Nvidia drivers have less overhead, therefore work better with less powerful CPU's in CPU intensive posts. So you can't look at thing in the general sense, because all our rigs are different, and we have different tastes in games. What works best for me, won't for you, and etc.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

The 970 gain less from overclocking, but also overclocks much better than a 390.

But the main issue is that Nvidia drivers have less overhead, therefore work better with less powerful CPU's in CPU intensive posts. So you can't look at thing in the general sense, because all our rigs are different, and we have different tastes in games. What works best for me, won't for you, and etc.

Fair point

Flame war and pragmatic are not word's usually associated with each other, I applaud you @App4that and @Idefix. ??