my friends ddos me, help

hi.  my friends ddos attacked me about 20 min ago.  it was a link.   I dont really know much about this stuff so can someone tell me what can happen?   I read  online that systems get compromised with trojans and turn into botnets.   It was a practical joke im sure so no credit card info, trojan virus, or botnet whatever... right?

edit: my friend wont tell me where he bought the ddos so it could be from the darkweb right?

You need better friends lol

Just keep changing your mac address everytime they DDOS you, it'll stop them temporarily. Download TMAC

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

A link typically isn't what causes a ddos, what exactly happened when you clicked the link?

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

Why would your friend ddos you in the first place?

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

Just now, Sportiva said:

A link typically isn't what causes a ddos, what exactly happened when you clicked the link?

People can give you a link that send you to a site temporarily to track your IP address before it redirects you to a normal site.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

not sure if troll or not, but anyways:

ugh. don't worry about it. 

edit: so just to clarify, he said friends

If he got attacked and that attack got transfered to you, then I suggest turning off your computer, plugging it off of the internet, starting it again, and look for any problems and damage, using your phone to access the internet. I don't know much about DDos (despite the TechQuickie video) but I know that it's pretty serious, and this is what I would do if it happened to me.

If he did this as a joke, that's not a nice friend.

Just now, Badazzz said:

People can give you a link that send you to a site temporarily to track your IP address before it redirects you to a normal site.

Oh, well you learn something new everyday. 

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

i dont think you know what a ddos is

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

exactly my thoughts

If i were you i would just run a antivirus a few times and see if anything comes up,

report them to the FBI

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

43 minutes ago, Enderman said:

42 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

exactly my thoughts

my friends texted me right after that they just ddos me.   if your not going to be helpful, why did you comment in the first place?

40 minutes ago, Minibois said:

report them to the FBI

fbi wont do jack shit

6 minutes ago, Blue172 said:

fbi wont do jack shit

Maybe it will scare them a bit though? :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

20 minutes ago, Blue172 said:

my friends texted me right after that they just ddos me.   if your not going to be helpful, why did you comment in the first place?

because if you got ddosed then you would not be on this forum...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020