Microsoft plans to make Windows 10, Xbox One game “crossbuys” a habit

Gamers who preorder Remedy’s upcoming Xbox One game Quantum Break will receive a free digital copy for Windows 10 PCs—a “crossbuy” strategy that Microsoft’s Xbox chief plans to make a “platform feature” of the gaming console.

The preorder deal will also include Remedy’s earlier hit Alan Wake, and its sequel, Alan Wake’s American Nightmare—all for free. (You only have from February 11 until April 4 to score the preorder deal, though, as the game launches on April 5.) Gamers who who buy a physical copy of Quantum Break on the day of its release will get the Windows DLC as well as Alan Wake

Behind the scenes, Microsoft has worked to tie its Windows 10 and Xbox One operating systems closer together, sharing features and data. The Xbox One includes versions of Skype and Microsoft Edge, and Microsoft has said that universal apps written for Windows 10 can theoretically run on the Xbox One, as well as Windows 10 PCs and Windows 10 Mobile phones. Windows 10 PCs also include an Xbox app that allows a PC to remotely control and play Xbox One games.

Apparently even saves will be shared.

jz9poAH.png 

a user asked if it was only for Quantum Break but Phil Spencer (Head of the Xbox division) answered that it was a platform feature.

CwWXnsw.png

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3032510/software-games/microsoft-plans-to-make-windows-10-xbox-one-game-crossbuys-a-habit.html

I dont play with consoles and I never intend to but I think it's a very good thing to do. I remember back in the Playstation days, I had to buy FF7 on console and then on PC when it got out because my cousin bricked my playstation. I was 12 and it sucked. It might actually make the windows store worth using now.

edit: How do you embed tweets on the forums now?

Dat reservation, lol.

This would honestly make an xbone more enticing.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Yes we saw it with the announcement of Quantum Break pre-order

that is cool except that we'll have to use XBOX app on Windows and I don't have anything non-desktop working on my Win10 install

xD like my win10 is so funny - I can't even use Windows Search and Edge thinks I don't have internet

also I believe we could do without the Pre-Orders altogether, but this one does seem like a very good deal if you do have an XBOX as you get like 3 or 4 additional games while you wait two more months for the release which is cool and a good way to practice pre-orders

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

8 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Apparently even saves will be shared.

http://i.imgur.com/jz9poAH.png

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3032510/software-games/microsoft-plans-to-make-windows-10-xbox-one-game-crossbuys-a-habit.html

I dont play with consoles and I never intend to but I think it's a very good thing to do. I remember back in the Playstation days, I had to buy FF7 on console and then on PC when it got out because my cousin bricked my playstation. I was 12 and it sucked. It might actually make the windows store worth using now.

edit: How do you embed tweets on the forums now?

So we have to preorder the Xbox One version to recieve the Windows 10 version or is it the other way round?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

3 minutes ago, Lazmarr said:

So we have to preorder the Xbox One version to recieve the Windows 10 version or is it the other way round?

Investigating :o

6 minutes ago, Lazmarr said:

2 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Investigating :o

There's only one of them available for pre-order and that is XBOX version

basically you get a universal app for your Microsoft account that can be run on all platforms

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

basically you get a universal app for your Microsoft account that can be run on all platforms

I'm asking more for the feature aspect of it then for Quantum Break.

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Hmmm I'm tempted to buy it for Xbox one, even though I don't have one...yet, just so I have it for PC too xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I'm expecting them to release their own platform on PC to actually make this work. Let's hope it doesn't bring back GFWL...

as long as it doesn't require the windows app store or xbox app

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

For it be "crossbuy", it'll have to be on the Windows Store and you'll have to use a Microsoft account. GFWL is dead and I don't see them putting on more DRM when selling on other services(Steam).

So expect crossbuying to be only available on Windows Store, but if they do release it on Steam then don't expect it to qualify as a crossbuy unless they have a required/optional sign-in to register that purchase on a Microsoft account.

I'm hoping it comes to Steam and is an optional sign-in, so we can expect future Microsoft games to do the same(Halo, GoW, Forza, etc.). But this is MS, so I doubt it.

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Microsoft would add a license to your account to download it from the Windows Store.

1 minute ago, EChondo said:

For it be "crossbuy", it'll have to be on the Windows Store and you'll have to use a Microsoft account. GFWL is dead and I don't see them putting on more DRM when selling on other services(Steam).

So expect crossbuying to be only available on Windows Store and if they do release it on Steam then don't expect it to qualify as a crossbuy unless they have a required/optional sign-in to register that purchase on a Microsoft account.

I'm hoping it comes to Steam and is an optional sign-in, so we can expect future Microsoft games to do the same(Halo, GoW, Forza, etc.).

Yeah, hopefully it comes to steam as I'm pretty sure that steam would sell more copies of the game unlike the Windows Store, look at Rise Of The Tomb Raider more copies of the game were sold on there instead of the Windows Store, or they could have a one-time thing when it authenticates your account or something like that.

5 minutes ago, RZeroX said:

Microsoft would add a license to your account to download it from the Windows Store.

bleah!

7 minutes ago, EChondo said:

I'm hoping it comes to Steam and is an optional sign-in, so we can expect future Microsoft games to do the same(Halo, GoW, Forza, etc.).

hopefully

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'd actually consider getting an Xbone because of this....but until Microsoft allows its x86 Xbox Original Games to run on the Xbone....then I've still got no reason to buy it. (I don't want to have 2 consoles for the same thing).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

25 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'd actually consider getting an Xbone because of this....but until Microsoft allows its x86 Xbox Original Games to run on the Xbone....then I've still got no reason to buy it. (I don't want to have 2 consoles for the same thing).

can't they just emulate the xbox 360 then emulate xbox original games on it :^)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, EChondo said:

So expect crossbuying to be only available on Windows Store, but if they do release it on Steam then don't expect it to qualify as a crossbuy unless they have a required/optional sign-in to register that purchase on a Microsoft account.

I'm hoping it comes to Steam and is an optional sign-in, so we can expect future Microsoft games to do the same(Halo, GoW, Forza, etc.). But this is MS, so I doubt it.

I think this might be their answer to Steam, an attempt of strengthening Windows Store in games, or actually even an attempt to take a bit of Steams monopoly to be fair, so I don't see their games released for Steam.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

46 minutes ago, Suicidal Korean said:

can't they just emulate the xbox 360 then emulate xbox original games on it :^)

The 360 isn't x86...like the Xbone and Xbox Original.

PMSL

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I think this might be their answer to Steam, an attempt of strengthening Windows Store in games, or actually even an attempt to take a bit of Steams monopoly to be fair, so I don't see their games released for Steam.

I think our main concern(PC gamers), we don't want another GFWL fiasco on our hands. Windows Store is already having a bad reputation for their PC games(lack of options, issues, etc.) while the Steam counter-parts do not have these qualms.

Personally I won't ever buy anything from a Microsoft store. I left their ecosystem(Xbox) back in 2012 and I'm not going back in. For me to buy their games they need to put them on Steam(or any other service really) and allow an optional sign-in for Microsoft services. And if that means I'll never be able to play these Microsoft games then so be it, I've been getting along fine these past four years without Microsoft and its games.

Hopefully their service is fleshed out and great, otherwise it's GFWL 2.0.

Baby steps microsoft, baby steps. Every day brings us closer to the day when consoles become pc's.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Honestly,.. if they would do it the other way as well. So buying on PC, getting second copy for console,... i MIGHT (still uncertain) actually buy a console again. 

Not saying this is enough to get me to buy a console, but it is the right way. Now the next xbox will probably have less power then my current PC, so that is a minus again lol.

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

The 360 isn't x86...like the Xbone and Xbox Original.

I was joking, xbox 360 can run xbox original games ( it does some sort of emulating) so I was referring to running a xbox orininal emulator on a emulated xbox 360 on a xbox one.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Let's just say... I know a few things...

So far, it's been proven to be true. Where is this going? somewhere great, well, if you're okay with Microsoft.

(Also, this shouldn't be obscure... It's fairly obvious.)

1 hour ago, Suicidal Korean said:

I was joking, xbox 360 can run xbox original games ( it does some sort of emulating) so I was referring to running a xbox orininal emulator on a emulated xbox 360 on a xbox one.

All I can say is this. It'd be a lot easier to run Xbox Original games on an Xbone than Xbox 360 games as the Original Xbox and Xbone are actually quite close (both have custom 8x6 CPU+GPU/x86 APU).

PMSL