Theory of what happens after you die

Gregrs

So my friend and I were just talking, and it got to the point where I was wondering what happens after you die. I don't believe in a god, so it was easy for me to theorize, but my friend believes that god created everything and there is some magical gates heaven or something. I'm not saying that it's wrong, it's just that I want to know with facts and science.

Regardless, we were watching a video in science about how they can copy and paste a particle, then delete the original, so it's like the particle teleported. So I tried to apply that with a brain. This isn't necessarily reincarnation, but it kid of sort of is. What I'm trying to say it, what if certain parts of the brain are teleported after you die to another brain (before they're born) and the original is deleted. For example, I was able to read and do basic math when I was 3 1/2, I'm a pretty smart guy. But what if there was a guy that lived 90 years ago that was able to do that, and when he died, that certain skill was teleported to my brain, so I am capable of doing that. And then when I die, that part of the brain is basically being passed down the line.

You're not necessarily the same person, it's just that certain parts of the brain are actually someone else's.

What do you guys think happens after you die? I know this might not make a lot of sense, but it's not supposed to, it's just a hypotheses.

this is a very deep subject - it all depends on your belief system - how you were raised and educated etc. There are many books written about this and every one's version is different. There is no right or wrong viewpoint to this topic. 

Lian Li PCV1020 -G1 Assassin X58 - i7 950 - 12 GB DDR3 G Skill Ram - GTX 580 - Intel SSD for gaming - 2TB WD HDD storage

Wait for it...

Nothing.

tim-eric-mind-blown-space.gif

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Just so we're all clear, it's more accurate to use the term "hypothesis" as we have no scientific evidence to support an afterlife. We only have lack of evidence that an afterlife exists in the first place. Theory doesn't fit here unless you're using it to mean a guess.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well first a forensic ambulance will pick you up if you were not at a hospital and either way you'll be transported to a morgue. By this point your consciousness is probably forever lost (unless you die in the future after you can upload consciousness to a computer of course) and you are as good as any other inanimate object. For most people, unless your cause of death was pretty self evident and not involving any possible criminal activity, you'll undergo an autopsy.

After that your family will probably have to notify your extended family, relatives, co-workers, etc. And contact a funeral services company (Please pay for your funeral in advance, it's kind of unfair your family has to cover all that). Then they'll transport you to be embalmed or prepared for cremation, followed by whatever funeral rites are customary on your family and culture (likely a wake and a mass). 

After that either your ashes will remain inhert for hundreds of thousands of years or your body will begin to decompose until eventually nothing remains and all of your particles are absorbed by your surroundings on the cemetery.

Your personal effects, properties, money, etc. will likely be assigned according to your will (again, please write a will and avoid terrible in fighting among your relatives) or otherwise will be divided among your family members. Life insurance claims can also be made (Again something to think about specially if you know you're short changed due to illness, depression, etc) Also they might have to contact your social media accounts to have your profiles memorialized.

-------

Current Rig

-------

31 minutes ago, eLucid said:

Wait for it...

Nothing.

Kek'd hard.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Thou has brought upon thyself a very sensitive topic. Be careful what you hath brought to thy forums, a flame war only needeth a spark...

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

I always thought it would be interesting if when you die, you actually switch to living in another multiverse where you didn't die. So to you it just seems like nothing happens and you live until you die of age or whatever, but your family and friends in the original multiverse see that you died. This is kind of weird topic. Just thought I'd share a random thought I had.

Well man, I have to say that I believe in that. After dying my soul "teleports" to another body. Soul is some kind of energy You should try finding someone who knows more about it. My mother told me that she has visited one man, who has "shown" her previous lives. She said it was like dream and she remembers what happened, in her previous lives. And it's said that all your lives are all the same e.g. when you love one person, it happens that you meet him/her in another life. There is specific number of those lives in which you meet. And about that man, he was just talking to her, not saying what happened, so you can see it yourself. It was just like dream but very short. She could feel everything even smell something but there were more dreams but very short. Man what more? There is a lot to talk about this and one may call it theory, but I believe in that.

My other has just told me more about meeting the same "soul" in another life. So when you swear something e.g. that you will protect someone and you fail in it , you are going to meet him in another life and one more chance to success in it. 

she had one dream since childhood for 30 years and when visiting that man she had that dream. That dream is always about the same, she is in the park, she falls into the pond and drowns. During that visit, she fell into the pond but she survived. After that visit, she hasn't had that dream for 4 years.

4 hours ago, eLucid said:

Wait for it...

Nothing.

Agreed xD

I remember seeing this gif before, what is it actually from?

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

How would this teleportation work and why is it limited to only teleport particles from one brain to another? Why not from a brain to a acorn?

Also, your "self" is not made up of individual particles. It is made up of several different particles that creates chemical reactions in your brain. So, only transporting some of them wouldn't make this new person "you".

Also, if there is an afterlife I didn't experience it the time(s) I died. I didn't see a light, I didn't hear screams of agony, I didn't experience my soul drifting into another physical form.

Being dead feels like a absolute nothingness. It's like dreamless sleep. Only, in most cases, it lasts forever.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Nothing.  Once the brain is dead you no longer exist.

You can argue philosophically that as long as your life still has some effect on the world you still exist is a sense.

Like the saying that as long as people remember you, you not truely gone.

But you are still dead.  There is nothing more for you but the echo of your life.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

40 minutes ago, Volbet said:

How would this teleportation work and why is it limited to only teleport particles from one brain to another? Why not from a brain to a acorn?

Also, your "self" is not made up of individual particles. It is made up of several different particles that creates chemical reactions in your brain. So, only transporting some of them wouldn't make this new person "you".

Also, if there is an afterlife I didn't experience it the time(s) I died. I didn't see a light, I didn't hear screams of agony, I didn't experience my soul drifting into another physical form.

Being dead feels like a absolute nothingness. It's like dreamless sleep. Only, in most cases, it lasts forever.  

When you say you have died before I'm assuming your heart had stoped.  You 'died' in a medical sense.  But as long as your brain didn't deteriorate yout were still 'alive'.  The death we are talking about is the death of the person.  At least that's my opinion.

I consider the person to be their conscious and unconscious mind.  The body is not important in deciding life.  Only the mind.

So if you were able to completely transfer my mind to another vessel and my body died I would consider myself still alive.  Likewise when a person is braid dead I no longer consider them alive.  There body may still be alive but the person is not.

This is just my opinion obviously.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Well the thing is,  we don't know,  and might never know.  It all boils down to belief and theories.  Anyone who says they know for a fact that there is or isn't an afterlife is an idiot. 

Edit : i dont mean to say its wrong to believe in an afterlife,  just claiming it does for a fact exist,  no questions asked, is stupid. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

One word. Heaven.

(That is all I have to say)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 hours ago, Gregrs said:

What I'm trying to say it, what if certain parts of the brain are teleported after you die to another brain (before they're born) and the original is deleted. For example, I was able to read and do basic math when I was 3 1/2, I'm a pretty smart guy. But what if there was a guy that lived 90 years ago that was able to do that, and when he died, that certain skill was teleported to my brain, so I am capable of doing that. And then when I die, that part of the brain is basically being passed down the line.

You're not necessarily the same person, it's just that certain parts of the brain are actually someone else's.

I think that goes along with a lot of the 'new soul/old soul' ideas that are found with a lot of reincarnation theories.

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

My uncle (I don't know him very well, a story told about him from my mom) worked for a funeral home for one night. He had to pick up a body, and while they carried it down stairs on the gurney, the body sat straight up (your muscles will still fire after you're 'dead'). He quit after that.

2 hours ago, whitephoenix said:

I always thought it would be interesting if when you die, you actually switch to living in another multiverse where you didn't die. So to you it just seems like nothing happens and you live until you die of age or whatever, but your family and friends in the original multiverse see that you died. This is kind of weird topic. Just thought I'd share a random thought I had.

You should watch 'Vanilla Sky.'

19 minutes ago, rmac52 said:

When you say you have died before I'm assuming your heart had stoped.  You 'died' in a medical sense.  But as long as your brain didn't deteriorate yout were still 'alive'.  The death we are talking about is the death of the person.  At least that's my opinion.

I consider the person to be their conscious and unconscious mind.  The body is not important in deciding life.  Only the mind.

So if you were able to completely transfer my mind to another vessel and my body died I would consider myself still alive.  Likewise when a person is braid dead I no longer consider them alive.  There body may still be alive but the person is not.

This is just my opinion obviously.

True, my heart stopped, and in a medical sense I was dead. I obviously wasn't delared brain dead (although, a lot of people would say that I'm already brain dead)

The problem with defining "person" soley on their mind, is that the mind is not a constant.

For example, I am a very different person today than I was when I was 20 years old, but that doesn't mean that I'm a different person, nor does it mean that the 20 year old me is dead.

Also, the body is immensly important when we determine life, since we have no evidence to suggest that life can exist outside of a physical form.

This is why a person is usually declared brain dead after immense physical damage has been done to the brain, so you could argue that the person is dead, since a very important part of their physiology is damaged beyond repair.

If you you were to transfere your mind from one body to another (or to another physical vessle) you would just transfer one physical property (your brain chemistry) to another physical property. 

It is still tied to the existance of a physical form. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

True, my heart stopped, and in a medical sense I was dead. I obviously wasn't delared brain dead (although, a lot of people would say that I already am brain dead)

The problem with defining "person" soley on their mind, is that the mind is not a constant.

For example, I am a very different person today than I was when I was 20 years old, but that doesn't mean that I'm a different person, nor does it mean that the 20 year old me is dead.

Also, the body is immensly important when we determine life, since we have no evidence to suggest that life can exist outside of a physical form.

This is why a person is usually declared brain dead after immense physical damage has been done to the brain, so you could argue that the person is dead, since a very important part of their physiology is damaged beyond repair.

If you you were to transfere your mind from one body to another (or to another physical vessle) you would just transfer one physical property (your brain chemistry) to another physical property. 

I think your mind can change over time and it doesn't create a new person.  I do think that if you were to completely remove all memories from a person you would have killed them, at least in a sense.  I think the continuity of a mind is important.  Your reference to changing is good but your mind still existed continuously over that time period.  So therefore I think that you have existed continuously over that period.  

To your point about the physical body. 

I would argue that aside from the brain the entire rest of your body exists solely to support your brain.  We can create synthetic respiratory and circulatory systems.  The only thing we really cant replace is the brain.  We do not yet have the technology to create a synthetic brain.  But a person can exist If everything from the neck down does not work.  If you were able to transplant every aspect of that persons brain into a fully functioning body; I believe that new body would be the same person.

This is really interesting as a philosophical discussion.  Unfortunately I have class starting right now so I cant elaborate any further.

That couldn't happen the way you said it because the population is increasing.  What you have technically said is.  If ten people die then all of their brains move into other bodies.  however, what if 10 people died but there were say 12 new bodies.  What would happen then? 

Sometimes there aren't enough dead people to reincarnate so a pretty much complete new life begins.  So I do suppose that is a valid theory. 

I say the biggest theory is that there is just absolute nothingness, you can't think or anything.  It is hard to imagine since it is practically impossible to image nothing.

I can't make my mind up about anything but there is one thing that still haunts me.  It is probably the scariest thing in life:

You will die eventually, there is nothing you can do about it.

Spoiler

Aha!  Screw you life!   SCIENCE BITCH!

2 hours ago, whitephoenix said:

This is exactly what I was thinking when I was explaining this to my friends.

When I was explaining it, I was explaining that you were in a coma, if you die, you die in this world, but you get put into a different world in a scenario where you survived.

The problem with this is what happens when you like 102, and you die, are you just going to live until you're 200+ years?

1 hour ago, Gregrs said:

This is exactly what I was thinking when I was explaining this to my friends.

When I was explaining it, I was explaining that you were in a coma, if you die, you die in this world, but you get put into a different world in a scenario where you survived.

The problem with this is what happens when you like 102, and you die, are you just going to live until you're 200+ years?

I don't know, I mean if we're saying the multiverse is real literally anything will happen

I have a new hypothesis

What if, for example, you're reborn, but nothing from your old self is transferred.

For example, maybe 17 years ago (I'm 17) someone died and I was born, I am them.

So if I were to die tomorrow, my life would just start over completely. Being born, going through schooling, etc... But I wouldn't think anything of it because I'm a new person, clean slate.

It's kind of hard to explain something that is explainable...

I take great pleasure in knowing I will decay and become nutrients for whatever needs it the most. There is life and death everywhere in the Universe and its no different for human beings, so live and enjoy life and no need to worry when your brown bread.

That's my take on it.