Powercolor RMA... is this Legit

ryanmmax

So I RMA'd my R9-290 PCS+ GPU because the 2 of the 3 fan bearings were bad.  The initial 15 business day quote turned into 30+ days " because it’s a discontinued model.  "   So today I received my brand new REFERENCE card!!   I begin to see the complaints that people had with Powercolor when I was reading reviews...

The Blower is so much louder! I cant stand it...  If they ask me to mail it back I'm going to lose my mind after spending 25$ to send the last card back!

*EDIT it is a R9-290x with reference BLOWER

Before and After...  I dont see the upgrade???

56b943564aea8_GPUcompare.jpg.669c45727f3

Slower engine clock... Check

Slower Memory clock... Check

Ugly and plastic... Check

Loud as heck.. Check

Hot as hell.. Check

Yep a huge upgrade!

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Email them. Ask them to upgrade you to a PCS+ 390.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Just complain. Don't be a dick, but explain to them why you would like a replacement and why they shouldn't have sent you a blower card.

I used to be quite active here.

Shouldn't you have technically gotten a 390 because the 290 is a discontinued model?

Or are they just trying to get rid of the reference 290s?

This is why I get frustrated when people tell me overclocking matters more than customer service. No one cares about customer service until they need it, which is why so many companies get away with horrible customer service.

Sorry for your frustration OP, and thank you for sharing so maybe someone looking to buy is saved the experience you're having.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

That is a downgrade that is against the law (I think)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Sent when They got my card

"Please allow 15 working business days for us to process your RMA request.  *Special cases and scenarios may results in delays in RMA processing time. "

Sent 20 busness days later

" The rma dept is waiting on your replacement card about 1 week because it’s a discontinued model. "

Sent 25 busnes days later

"We will ship out by beginning of next week. You will receive a tracking number email after it’s ship out. Thank you for your patience. "

sent 30 busness days later

"Your unit was just shipped out!"

I have informed them that I am not happy and asked how this is going to be rectified. But seeing that a discontinued card is "a special case" I am not hopeful.  HOW is last years top of the line card not a stocked card for RMA???  do they only stock RMA cards for 3 month old cards??  such BS

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

2 hours ago, ryanmmax said:

Sent when They got my card

"Please allow 15 working business days for us to process your RMA request.  *Special cases and scenarios may results in delays in RMA processing time. "

Sent 20 busness days later

" The rma dept is waiting on your replacement card about 1 week because it’s a discontinued model. "

Sent 25 busnes days later

"We will ship out by beginning of next week. You will receive a tracking number email after it’s ship out. Thank you for your patience. "

sent 30 busness days later

"Your unit was just shipped out!"

I have informed them that I am not happy and asked how this is going to be rectified. But seeing that a discontinued card is "a special case" I am not hopeful.  HOW is last years top of the line card not a stocked card for RMA???  do they only stock RMA cards for 3 month old cards??  such BS

Just explain to them, in a calm manner, with proper grammar, you are unsatisfied.

• R9-290 with their own performance PowerColor GPU cooler
  • Now replaced with a R9-290 with reference cooler
  • Increased temperatures, and noise -- can say you purchased their PCS+ for this very reason
  • Say you understand the RMA process did take longer due to "special case"...yada yada...
  • Kindly request for a R9-390 instead; probably mention the R9-390 is basically a R9-290..with some facts
  • (If you are willing, or if they are willing, to pay for the return shipping if they allow replacement)
  • Ask if there is a phone number they can give you, so you can call in to talk to real person
  • Say thank you, and hope to get a response from them soon, etc.

I've dealt with Sapphire, Gigabyte, ASUS, NCIX, and even Swiftech (and ol' EA) customer service with some computer related issues over the years. Keep it civil, and it  usually goes your way.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

On 2/6/2016 at 4:26 PM, -rascal- said:

Just explain to them, in a calm manner, with proper grammar, you are unsatisfied.

• R9-290 with their own performance PowerColor GPU cooler
  • Now replaced with a R9-290 with reference cooler
  • Increased temperatures, and noise -- can say you purchased their PCS+ for this very reason
  • Say you understand the RMA process did take longer due to "special case"...yada yada...
  • Kindly request for a R9-390 instead; probably mention the R9-390 is basically a R9-290..with some facts
  • (If you are willing, or if they are willing, to pay for the return shipping if they allow replacement)
  • Ask if there is a phone number they can give you, so you can call in to talk to real person
  • Say thank you, and hope to get a response from them soon, etc.

I've dealt with Sapphire, Gigabyte, ASUS, NCIX, and even Swiftech (and ol' EA) customer service with some computer related issues over the years. Keep it civil, and it  usually goes your way.

So I spoke with them today on the phone...  They did move me from a R9-290 to an R9-290x (with reference cooler).  They insisted that it was a newer better card LOL! (angry LOL)

R9-290 Pro's- Lower temps, less noise, better looking, higher engine clock, higher memory clock\

VS.

R9-290x Pro's- They don't even advertise this but it has 9% more stream engines 2816 vs 2560 THATS IT

From their website comparing what I had to what they gave me

56b943564aea8_GPUcompare.jpg.669c45727f3

From Thier website pointing out why the PCS+ cooler is so much better then reference cooler

cooler.jpg.dc321fb63e8ba72642ef0de011a2b

Am I being unreasonable???  

3 minutes ago, ryanmmax said:

So I spoke with them today on the phone...  They did move me from a R9-290 to an R9-290x (with reference cooler).  They insisted that it was a newer better card LOL! (angry LOL)

R9-290 Pro's- Lower temps, less noise, better looking, higher engine clock, higher memory clock\

VS.

R9-290x Pro's- They don't even advertise this but it has 9% more stream engines 2816 vs 2560 THATS IT

From their website comparing what I had to what they gave me

From Thier website pointing out why the PCS+ cooler is so much better then reference coo

Am I being unreasonable???  

No, get back with them and insist on a 390 or comparable replacement.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, get back with them and insist on a 390 or comparable replacement.

The customer service guy said he was the only one who answers the phone and reads email.  Then he said that the techs don't really know the difference between card.  Then he said that my new reference card was tested for 2 hours and he didn't thing it was that loud.  He suggested that I try the card on a difference motherboard that it might be quieter...  Oh then he proceeded to tell me that the managers don't talk on the phone and don't care.

In general I get the feeling that there there are like 3 people there just tooling around.  It sucks because there is really nothing I can do.

1 minute ago, ryanmmax said:

The customer service guy said he was the only one who answers the phone and reads email.  Then he said that the techs don't really know the difference between card.  Then he said that my new reference card was tested for 2 hours and he didn't thing it was that loud.  He suggested that I try the card on a difference motherboard that it might be quieter...  Oh then he proceeded to tell me that the managers don't talk on the phone and don't care.

In general I get the feeling that there there are like 3 people there just tooling around.  It sucks because there is really nothing I can do.

That does suck. My advice is sell the 290x and get something else. From MSI or EVGA.

i think i'd rather have the 290X with the blower honestly...even underclocked and undervolted the card should still be faster than the R9 290.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i think i'd rather have the 290X with the blower honestly...even underclocked and undervolted the card should still be faster than the R9 290.

You wana buy a 290x?????

But seriously, I have a 1080 60hz monitor...  I already get 100+ FPS in the game I do play...  Actually I cap my FPS in all games to keep my fan speed down.    

Just now, ryanmmax said:

You wana buy a 290x?????

haha no thanks, i have a 980ti :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

But that noise level. And heat. Please allow me to elaborate through interpretive youtube

1 minute ago, App4that said:

But that noise level. And heat. Please allow me to elaborate through interpretive youtube

and i answer with this:

http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Efficient-VRM-Cooling-DCACO-V800001-GBA01/dp/B00HHMJIIO

accelero-xtreme-iii-radeon-r9-290-coolin

The only thing off in that video is that it implys that it kicking off a lot of heat... Really the card just bakes!!  Seriously This is the back of my computer! look at the size of that exhaust!!  NO AIRFLOW

R9.thumb.jpg.edfa499595a06369ecfbe6fb85b

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

If you're going to throw money at the problem go AIO. That would be cool.

have you looked at the pics on amazon? this thing is freaking huge man i tell you it will keep the card cool for sure...even with a sustained overclock.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

have you looked at the pics on amazon? this thing is freaking huge man i tell you it will keep the card cool for sure...even with a sustained overclock.

And where does all the heat go? The case, right?

AIO

Just now, App4that said:

And where does all the heat go? The case, right?

AIO

case it's fine you have fans to take card of that...

That video though...very funny :P ...that uber mode holy moly! i'm crying right now...

Please reply to my thread 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Please reply to my thread 

which thread son? lol :P