Powercolor RMA... is this Legit

ryanmmax
Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

case it's fine you have fans to take card of that...

Or, and this is just a thought mind you. You push the heat out of the case and don't need as many fans. Lower case temps means lower CPU and RAM temperatures.

2 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Please reply to my thread 

Hi :)

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

which thread son? lol :P

This site is broke...

look at my signature and guess

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Lolololololol. They did technically "upgrade" you. 

I would've just kept the PCS+ and zip tie 120mm fans on it. That cards a relic.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Is time left to cancel the whole Deal?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

That is bizarre. 

But, I think the trade off is a toss up - you got a better performing card in trade off for worse cooling. 

I'd just point another fan at it and run it into the ground. lol 

7 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Lolololololol. They did technically "upgrade" you. 

I would've just kept the PCS+ and zip tie 120mm fans on it. That cards a relic.

I'm sorry but if I buy a 2015 mustang with leather seats, 19" rims, navigation, sun roof, exhaust, extra....  A base line 2016 mustang is not an upgrade UNLESS it has the all the same good features plus something to make it better. 

Especially since were talking 2 cards of the same generation and architecture that are both supposedly new.

Adding a "x" does not make it an upgrade!!  There are several benchmarks used when comparing cards EX: temp, noise, fps, appearance, ect.  The 290x "might" out perform the overclocked 290 but that is only one metric...and who cares about 2fps when you have a jet engine next to you (especially when you wear open headphones)

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

19 minutes ago, ryanmmax said:

I'm sorry but if I buy a 2015 mustang with leather seats, 19" rims, navigation, sun roof, exhaust, extra....  A base line 2016 mustang is not an upgrade UNLESS it has the all the same good features plus something to make it better. 

Especially since were talking 2 cards of the same generation and architecture that are both supposedly new.

Adding a "x" does not make it an upgrade!!  There are several benchmarks used when comparing cards EX: temp, noise, fps, appearance, ect.  The 290x "might" out perform the overclocked 290 but that is only one metric...and who cares about 2fps when you have a jet engine next to you (especially when you wear open headphones)

they didn't give you a 2016 mustang, they gave you a 2015 mustang gt.

even if it's the base model - it has more performance. 

37 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

they didn't give you a 2016 mustang, they gave you a 2015 mustang gt.

even if it's the base model - it has more performance. 

But what if the non-gGT is super charged to get similar performance to the GT...  Oh and the speed limit is still 60mph so who cares about getting 256fps?  I payed for heated leather seats and a convertable don't give me a Pink GT with blue canvas seats and tell me it's an upgrade.

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

1 hour ago, ryanmmax said:

I ain't here to argue about cars. I'm just suggesting that you should've kept the card. Its such a bae :x Pair it with 2 CM Jetflos and voila. 65*C underload, just like me ;) 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

47 minutes ago, ryanmmax said:

But what if the non-gGT is super charged to get similar performance to the GT...  Oh and the speed limit is still 60mph so who cares about getting 256fps?  I payed for heated leather seats and a convertable don't give me a Pink GT with blue canvas seats and tell me it's an upgrade.

That's fair enough. 

You are more concerned about the options list then the raw performance. And that is completely fine and reasonable. 

I think they were hoping you were the other type of individual - with the sole focus on horsepower. They compromised to meet the demand and you felt that compromise. It's not an ideal circumstance to satisfy the customer. 

2 hours ago, Alexokan said:

That's fair enough. 

You are more concerned about the options list then the raw performance. And that is completely fine and reasonable. 

I think they were hoping you were the other type of individual - with the sole focus on horsepower. They compromised to meet the demand and you felt that compromise. It's not an ideal circumstance to satisfy the customer. 

Yep, I am trying to convince them of that.  I would guess the cost of their PCS+ cooler is only 20-30$ so it shouldn't be a big deal to them.  

I guess I don't see how the 290x is a better performer...  In what usage would a 290x be better??  Seems like at 1080 both cards are currently overkill (hopefully futurish proof).  And at 1440 neither card is enough to grab 60FPS... 

290 = 2560 cores, 290X = 2816 cores.

Even though base clock is 10 MHz slower, performance wise, the 290X faster.

Slower memory clock, be honest with yourself, doesn't make a difference.

Ugle and plastic, ok sure.

Loud as hell, ok sure.

Hot as hell, technically that's because it's a more powerful card, it's more or less a given with a 290X. Unless you mean the running temperature at 94C which according AMD shouldn't damage the GPU anyways.

An upgrade? Performance wise yes. Aesthetic wise depends on preference. Acoustic wise a downgrade.

Personally I'd take a reference 290X over a 290 any day.

Like other's said, stick an accelero xtreme in there and you're good to go. If you really want to argue with powercolor, acoustic level is your only legit defense.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I sent back the 290x and i got an email confirming my new card was shipped.  They told me that they were sending me a new 290PCS+ card, which is odd since last month they told me they dont have any????  If I get my original card back I am going to lose it.

They specifically said they would not send me the card I RMA'd but at this point I am not sure.  I had put some sharpy marks on different parts to make the card Identifiable, so I will know if it is my original card (maybe they replaced the fans, I have sharpy on each fan too so ill know)

Maybe 290x is an upgrade if you have a 2k, 4k, 144Hz monitor but for 1080 its the same thing.  Not to mention if you look at the picture bellow, you will notice that Powercolor uses the same rear IO shield independent of cooler style.  They 290X they sent me was even more restrictive then the reference design, so it had to spin up even faster and louder then you see in peoples benchmark/reviews!!

Spoiler

56d09152f082a_coolercompair.jpg.1da68a98