ASRock's Latest BIOS Removes SkyOC Feature

HKZeroFive
1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Nvdia and intel don't block OC'ing or SLIing card with a slightly different model not to make it preform faster, but just to make more money.

I could Xfire a HD 7870 XT with a R9 280x GHz if I wanted to, it will not be as fast as a HD 7950 Xfire, but it isn't a slow as a single R9 280x GHz.

what you'll actually be doing with your non-sense concept is creating bottlenecks every where, and you know what i'm done, you should really contact intel and nvidia and every god for sacking chip manufacturer with you genius concept 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Just now, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

what you'll actually be doing with your non-sense concept is creating bottlenecks every where, and you know what i'm done, you should really contact intel and nvidia and every god for sacking chip manufacturer with you genius concept 

I should, but they are dicks (Especially Nvidia) and would say no.

3 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

To have a multi tier ecosystem?

That isn't a good reason.

It's an extremely good reason. Each market segment gets tailor-made solutions, which is good for consumers and Intel's bottom line.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Imo it's not about $$$, all of the cpus are theirs. Its more about saving their more expensive k cpus from becoming extinct. Majority of their profit isnt from k cpus anyway. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Imo it's not about $$$, all of the cpus are theirs. Its more about saving their more expensive k cpus from becoming extinct. Majority of their profit isnt from k cpus anyway. 

You are the 600,000th post in this subforum

This is the 600,001st post :D

on topic: Easy fix: Don't update your BIOS if you can. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 hours ago, mikat said:

that reason is: intel is greedy af

Oh really.

Tell me then. What are the differences between the 4790 and the 4790K?

And before you say "you can overclock one and that's it", I'll stop that there and say you're wrong.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You are the 600,000th post in this subforum

This is the 600,001st post :D

on topic: Easy fix: Don't update your BIOS if you can. 

Do i get a badge? :D

Want to oc then, I'll grab a k cpu.  No need for skylake doe. Running on xeon e5.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I like how (find it funny) the tune went from "its just a rumor, calm your tits guys" when it was a rumor thread to "its intel's product/perfectly justifiable theyre doing this." When its finally shown intel is doing something xD

more on topic, im sorry guys, it kinda feels like a money grabbing move from intel. They didnt clamp down on bclk oc-ing cause it affected other components. But now that its seperate. I guess theyre afraid that not only us builders but probably some of the oem partners start to buy lower specced parts and trying to get better perf than the equivalent non OCed part. Intel is within their rights to do this, but still its still a dick move (to me at least) well it doesnt matter anyway, I just hope that someone comes up and is able to compete with them to force them to do better and possibly not have them do stuff like that but yeap well just wait and see.

It was good while it lasted

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

4 hours ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

well, dude you can't, period .No should's, we talking about what we can and cannot do not what we wish to do, and nvidia blocks that to guarantee optimal performance ;) 

His point is that the gpus in question are able to be SLi'd, but Nvidia (being assholes) block it to artificially lock users away from options.

AMD for example, lets you Crossfire a 290 with a 290x, hell a Nano with a Fury X and even an R9 295x2 with a 290 or 290x.

Because they're the same GPU chip.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

11 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

His point is that the gpus in question are able to be SLi'd, but Nvidia (being assholes) block it to artificially lock users away from options.

AMD for example, lets you Crossfire a 290 with a 290x, hell a Nano with a Fury X and even an R9 295x2 with a 290 or 290x.

Because they're the same GPU chip.

i know, absolutely i know, my point is that (yes they do it partially to make money obviously) they do that so that you'll be guaranteed the best performance and to avoid any issues being caused by the different GPUs (i know they develop a driver for it as well but, again they do need to make money) 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Wow, the sad day came sooner than I thought. Why intel?! It was so cool until you ruined it.

5 hours ago, Gofspar said:

you do know how Intel manufacturers CPU's right, all the 1151 CPU's come from the same Silicon wafer. The dual cores are damaged quadcores that they use a laser to cut the other 2 damaged cores off. Of course theres binning in place. IE 6100 vs 6320.

It would make no economical sense for intel to produce dual core chips from disabled quad cores given the amount they sell, on lower end and in the mobile. Dual cores come from different wafers, if not they'd just be throwing away half their production.

I hate it when products loose functionality, but only to be sold as a different tier of product to make more money.

Kinda sucks, you know you're old when you're talkin to the young'uns bout the good old days... when base clock and multipliers weren't locked... and multiple processors wasn't limited to Xeons. And whole milk had cream and butter floating at the top.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

15 minutes ago, mikat said:

but intel is still greedy af xD

You're not answering my question.

So clearly this is a waste of time trying to and explain to you how this whole thing works.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

As long as the old bios copies are still around that's good enough for me.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

6 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Intel, stop being dicks. Make every CPU unlocked and have 2 series of motherboards, the overclockable ones, and the locked one.

I don't agree with that stance

manufacturers saw a vulnerability and they exploited it, just like ASUS did with those 3 extra pins - this time Intel showed them who's boss

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

don't recall exactly what LGA it was but ASUS discovered that the CPU could be supplied with extra power via 3 additional pins that weren't present in the initial LGA socket configuration

Interesting. Kinda reminds me of the LGA775 BSEL mods. Wonder how many motheboards had built in software or hardware to mod the pins there...

Don't see much a problem with this, honestly.  There're still the older bioses, and Intel sells the locked chips cheaper than the overclocked ones - the overclocking bit was more of a bonus, the bonus is gone(if you update your bios every bios update), and you still get an excellent processor.

I'm glad to see the OC on non K chips discontinued for that fact it lessens the chances of what was going on in late 90's and early 2000's with venders selling prebuilt systems

with lower spec CPU's then Overclocking them to make it seem like they were a higher part inside. I know most of use here could care less about prebuilts and blame people for not understanding the spec/s and partlist inside a machine but for dear old grandma and grandpa out there that might be upgrading and just want to use a PC this protects them.

6 hours ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

it was a bad idea in the first place, we have this K and non-K Limitations for a reason 

There is no reason for a cpu to be locked. None. Zip.

There ARE reasons for which you may not want to oc on some chipsets.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*