ASRock's Latest BIOS Removes SkyOC Feature

HKZeroFive

I remember back in the days of Core 2 Duo/Quad, everyone would just buy the cheapest Duo or Quad and overclock it instead of getting the higher end/extreme CPUs.

I'd imagine that led to too many higher binned chips being forced to be lower end SKUs for Intels liking. So,  Intel introduced the concept of unlocked and locked SKUs to force enthusiasts to spend more for the higher binned chips so Intel can make more money. 

They didn't do it for a better experience for anyone but their bank account,  any claims to the contrary are shilling to Intel.  It's anti consumer but when they are getting closer to a monopoly by the day even when doing things like that die to lack of competition it's to be expected for it to continue. 

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

3 minutes ago, BobbyG2 said:

I remember back in the days of Core 2 Duo/Quad, everyone would just buy the cheapest Duo or Quad and overclock it instead of getting the higher end/extreme CPUs.

I'd imagine that led to too many higher binned chips being forced to be lower end SKUs for Intels liking. So,  Intel introduced the concept of unlocked and locked SKUs to force enthusiasts to spend more for the higher binned chips so Intel can make more money. 

They didn't do it for a better experience for anyone but their bank account,  any claims to the contrary are shilling to Intel.  It's anti consumer but when they are getting closer to a monopoly by the day even when doing things like that die to lack of competition it's to be expected for it to continue. 

Right from the beginning of LGA775 we had unlocked Pentium Extreme....so its a bit before Core 2 Duo/Quads...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On Thursday, February 04, 2016 at 0:07 PM, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

One : have you been inside intel to tell me they coast the same to make and develop, cause i'm damn sure they don't 

You clearly need to research what binning is.  All Skylake chips come from the same wafer. The chips that come out perfect are made into 6700ks, the chips that aren't are made into lower end SKUs. Depending on how imperfect they are determines how low of a SKU they will be.  Also, if yeilds are better than market demand better binned chips might be sold as lower end SKUs due to too many good chips than market demands.  All chips cost the same to make but not all chips are worth the same. 

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

27 minutes ago, BobbyG2 said:

You clearly need to research what binning is.  All Skylake chips come from the same wafer. The chips that come out perfect are made into 6700ks, the chips that aren't are made into lower end SKUs. Depending on how imperfect they are determines how low of a SKU they will be.  Also, if yeilds are better than market demand better binned chips might be sold as lower end SKUs due to too many good chips than market demands.  All chips cost the same to make but not all chips are worth the same. 

Imagine buying a 6700, but it really being a 6700K, and never being able to push it to realize what you have.  That would be a shame.  :(

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

Imagine buying a 6700, but it really being a 6700K, and never being able to push it to realize what you have.  That would be a shame.  :(

Just saying the highest end bins are ALWAYS so much lower volume that this is more common than not.

Esp with binning into the same core count at lower speeds (which can sometimes be a harder bin due to lower tdp constraints).

950 was a great choice, as was the 980x, the 4930k, the 5820k...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Just saying the highest end bins are ALWAYS so much lower volume that this is more common than not.

Esp with binning into the same core count at lower speeds (which can sometimes be a harder bin due to lower tdp constraints).

950 was a great choice, as was the 980x, the 4930k, the 5820k...

You confused me a bit.  You are saying that the higher quality cuts off the wafer are much more uncommon...per wafer?

Side Note:  I remember helping one of my friends OC a 950 (over voice chat, Mumble).  :)  I don't think I did a great job with helping, we got it stable at 4 GHz.  I did not push him to try more.

On 04/02/2016 at 11:20 AM, Gofspar said:

Yeah with 1.8v on air you can kill anything, my point is the only reason they are doing this is for profit margins

Apart from a sandy bridge or 775 CPU :D

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

You confused me a bit.  You are saying that the higher quality cuts off the wafer are much more uncommon...per wafer?

Side Note:  I remember helping one of my friends OC a 950 (over voice chat, Mumble).  :)  I don't think I did a great job with helping, we got it stable at 4 GHz.  I did not push him to try more.

By the way, the X58A-OC Has a button that will instantly put it to 4GHz, it is not a big OC.

Just now, corsairian said:

It was good while it lasted.

It is still around. ASRock shipped @Lays OC Formula with a BIOS That had it enabled, and there are unofficial BIOSes aswell.

2 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

By the way, the X58A-OC Has a button that will instantly put it to 4GHz, it is not a big OC.

He just wanted 4GHz.  I wanted to push, experiment, but it is not as easily done when it is not your PC.  I had never OC'd an Intel before so it was new territory for me.

Just now, stconquest said:

He just wanted 4GHz.  I wanted to push, experiment, but it is not as easily done when it is not your PC.  I had never OC'd an Intel before so it was new territory for me.

Just curious as to how long ago this was, recently?

Just now, TheGamingBarrel said:

Just curious as to how long ago this was, recently?

No... 4 years ago or so.

3 hours ago, BobbyG2 said:

The chips that come out perfect are made into 6700ks, the chips that aren't are made into lower end SKUs. Depending on how imperfect they are determines how low of a SKU they will be.  

There's my point ^^^^, so not all chips are overclocking  capable, and that's why it was a stupid idea 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

2 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Apart from a sandy bridge or 775 CPU :D

Or more specifically, Pentium 4 (I managed to put 2V through a 65nm 65W one with a heavy underclock to have it not cut out).

1 hour ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

There's my point ^^^^, so not all chips are overclocking  capable, and that's why it was a stupid idea 

Tell that to my i5 4440 and Celeron M380. Both can safely and easily be overclocked. And both were never meant to be overclocked (again, just like my Xeon X5450 on its LGA775 motherboard).

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Or more specifically, Pentium 4 (I managed to put 2V through a 65nm 65W one with a heavy underclock to have it not cut out).

What cooling was that with? Time to see someone put 2V Through a Pentium D on air :D

Just now, TheGamingBarrel said:

What cooling was that with? Time to see someone put 2V Through a Pentium D on air :D

Seidon 120V. As I said though, I needed to heavily underclock it to prevent it from cutting out (due to heat),

PMSL

IMHO unless you're a professional OCer, if you have a non-K chip, you probably don't intend to  overclock. At least now, OCers can find BIOSs to overclock non-K chips for the sake of overclocking, but for the average consumer I don't think it really makes much of a difference.

19 hours ago, stconquest said:

I'm saying Intel, AMD, and Nvidia sell way less of the top tier variant of each wafer than the lower ends, so the majority of x99 chips for example dont even get tested to see if they could have been 5960xs before being lasered down to 5820ks.

Hawaii, GM204 and GM200 are huge examples of the cut down probably outselling the max variant by an order of magnitude or more, and you can be certain that the yields of the two are not that different (most failures are catastrophic regardless of attempted bin).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I'm saying Intel, AMD, and Nvidia sell way less of the top tier variant of each wafer than the lower ends, so the majority of x99 chips for example dont even get tested to see if they could have been 5960xs before being lasered down to 5820ks.

Hawaii, GM204 and GM200 are huge examples of the cut down probably outselling the max variant by an order of magnitude or more, and you can be certain that the yields of the two are not that different (most failures are catastrophic regardless of attempted bin).

Ah, ty.  That makes sense to me now. 

Am I one of the few who don't mind Intel's move to clamp down on Skylake OCing? Sure, it's anti-consumer, but they're a business. They're in it to make money.

I can almost guarantee that if any one of you were in Intel's shoes, you would do pretty much the same thing.

What's confusing is that this has been going on for a while, I'm surprised that Intel didn't act sooner.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/