What is the best piece of technology you ever bought?

3570tech

Im also upvoting ssd's. when i put my 2 new 840 pro's in raid i was just floored how fast it was.

Well, I've only really upgraded what's in my system once, the only other times I've bought new hardware...it's been for a complete build. So...soundcard then, I guess? For lack of other options

Wit is educated insolence.

Swapping stock fans out for something better. I replaced my rear fan in my 600T for a GEILD PWM fan and replaced the fan in my Coolermaster V8 for a Noctua NF-F12. My machine is the quietest it's ever been before. I think my stock 200mm make more fan noise than anything else now in my system

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I got an awesome, comfortable chair, a headset, a new mouse and my Ducky Shine II will be on its way soon (hopefully).

It really has changed my computing experience!

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Hardware wise it would have to be the additon of an SSD.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

A decent case.  I went from a noisy HAF 922 to a very mature and composed Fractal R4.  Everything is just better.

Sound Blaster 16 to a Sound Blaster Live.  Soooo much awesome.  But that was like 10 builds ago.  Best recent upgrade is twin ssd's in raid 0 for boot.

Laws only govern the honest.

a mechanical keyboard and a wacom tablet :3

There were two big upgrades I noticed the most over the years with my computers.

The first was going from 512MB of ram to 2gb of ram. OH MY GOD THE DIFFERENCE.

The second, as most are already saying, was going from a HDD to a SSD.

Current rig: AMD Piledriver fx-8320 OC'd to 4.9ghz on 1.45v vcore | Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2 board | Gigabyte 7950 W3x| 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333mhz | 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD

SSD, no doubt about that! And my Meridian 563 DAC, but I don't think that counts as a computer component. :D

1. HD 5770, only good GPU I have ever owned. Got it for £40 last year. 

2. Logitech G400. Best mouse ever. £25

3. I haven't really got any money for a good GPU or CPU etc... :( :D :)

Just bought a samsung 840 non pro 120gb ssd :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Going from a GeForce GT 240 to 560 Ti was a big leap for me. My next big thing is an SSD.

Core i5 750 @ 3.8 Jigahertz with Hyper 212 Plus ZOTAC GTX 970 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1TB WD HDD •  4x2 GB Kingston RAM Seasonic 750W PSU

Adding an Intel 520 series SSD was probably the best upgrade, it made things so much faster and easier!

It feels slightly superfluous at this point, but I'll add my voice to the landslide of voices for the SSD for sure!

Such a massive improvement in games with long load times, boot-up, workflow... ZOOM!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

for me it was the switch from single to dual core, before that windows 98's cd/dvd support before that a personal hdd on my amiga and before that a 5 1/4 floppy for my atari 800.

to me the likes of an ssd do bring improvements in usability but i they still aint worth the money to me for the performance gain you get. in some cases its not at all what people boast.yes windows boots in 6 seconds but after that i didnt notice any difference in game loading times especially on big games like witcher 2 and BF3. 

now the price has come down to a reasonable amount i will certainly be getting a pair of 256gig ssd's to set up a raid array to replace my current 2 TB raid 0

if you have more than 1 ssd and there identical i would suggest you raid 0 them...  dont worry raid 0 is perfectly stable as long as you dont bump your system about or mismatch the drives. (my current hdd's are in raid 0 and have been for the last 3.5 years with no issues, because i picked 2 identical drives specifically for the task)

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

My best PC upgrade was when I moved from a AMD Athlon 1.2GHZ to I5-2500K. I had to use the AMD for a year because my old rig died. 

First of all SSD then i would say my Corsair H100i. After using a SSD every day in my PC every time I have to work on some pc that doesnt have it I feel like im using a calculator.

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

My keyboard. It brought me into the world of gaming and it was the reason I built a whole new pc. I originally had some $200 refurbished pc that my mom got and I would play starcraft 2 at 10fps on low settings

I'd have to say my move up from a generic logitech keyboard and mouse to the G710+ and G9x has been so very wonderful.

Aside from peripherals and actual hardware, I'd have to say my 'upgrade'.

When I decided to upgrade my computer, I unknowingly upgraded every single part at once. 

So I guess THAT's my best upgrade? :unsure:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A few things actually... I was really surprised how comfortable the Steelseries QcK+ is. I had a stock mousepad before and son of a gun the QcK is so much better.

I really enjoy still my switch from a logitech 2.1 z523 to a onkyo 9155 stereo amp with a nice pair of Polestar Vanguard V-R1s . The difference is huge. The movies, the games and music just sounds like totally different. Very good nice and crisp. I can just recommend to everybody to try a real stereo setup.

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

Biggest "game changer" for me was going from a core 2 duo OCed to 3.2 to my i7 920 @ 3.82 Ghz. That was when I finally had a PC that was faster than me, no longer would I try and do things only to have my PC just not be able to handle it fast enough, or only be able to do a few things at a time comfortably. With the i7, that ALL changed. It is now without doubt faster than I am. 

As far as upgrades, my Vertex 4 SSD was the most noticeable day to day upgrade period. Everything is just so much more responsive than a harddrive  (coming from RAID0 Velociraptors).

After that in terms of interaction, my mechanical keyboard, hands down. I recently got a G710+ and typing is now enjoyable, not annoying.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

thats easy.. when i bought my voodoo 1 card back in the day, the difference in graphics i got then was crazy. Games were alot more fun, like need for speed 2 SE which suddenly got effect like rain and flies that you can see hitting ur screen.. completely unheard of then..

2nd best would be my old Radeon 9700 pro. Allowed me to play all games at max for over 2 years. these days thats easy but back then.. buying the most expensive card actually meant you could max out games longer then then cheaper cards.. thats all changed now.

the latest best upgrade would be the same as everyone else.. my SSD boot drive.

I have no signature

ssd upgrade

a samsung 840pro 256gb to be precise

:D