Other sources wrong, Pascal not taped out in June, potentially still in testing

DocSwag
2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Right. If AMD launch in their vague "mid-2016" release window, and Nvidia is just a month or two behind with their mainstream GPUs, then Big Pascal slipping to 2017 seems very reasonable. It took 11 months from the GTX 680 to the GTX Titan.

Polaris is confirmed for August release.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

Polaris is confirmed for August release.

I believe it's "confirmed" WCCF-style. I don't think AMD has said anything other than mid-2016.

Lovely. "Other speculation is wrong because <insert speculation here>".

Le sigh.

28 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Maybe the flagship will be roughly Tahiti-sized. On paper, the planar density should about quadruple, so that size still gives you a heck of a lot of transistors to work with.

yes but simply beating the 980ti is not the goal. That's a forgone conclusion... AMD knows it has to be fast enough to compete with Pascal flagship which is on 16nm finfet. So I don't think they will hold back.. Will be an arms race as we have seen before.

32 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

I believe it's "confirmed" WCCF-style. I don't think AMD has said anything other than mid-2016.

As far as I understood they've said "Summer 2016", so June-August is the best ETA we have

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

45 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Maybe the flagship will be roughly Tahiti-sized. On paper, the planar density should about quadruple, so that size still gives you a heck of a lot of transistors to work with.

I remember hearing around 16 bill, twice the fury X, but I could be wrong

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Back to school is the target, according to Lisa Su, for both Desktop and Laptop graphics solutions.

Angestrebt wird Mitte 2016, insbesondere zum in den Vereinigten Staaten wichtigen Back-to-School-Zeitraum sollen nicht nur Desktop-Lösungen, sondern allen voran auch Notebook-Grafikchips zur Verfügung stehen.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-01/amd-ceo-lisa-su-interview/

4 hours ago, Tomsen said:

And who is saying AMD scrapped TSMC? I'm expecting AMD to validate their GPU design on TSMC too for APU/SoC and perhaps some dGPU.

Had to revisit your comment. I've done a little digging, and apparently Polaris 10 and 11 are the old Ellesmere and Baffin, which are 14nm, mid and low end. The koth card Greenland, is apparently known as Vega 10 and could be 16nm FF+ from TSMC, if Glofo's 14nm LPP cannot handle the performance. We will see.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Well i called pascal release in june BS before, seems like i'm not the only one.

And if you think about it, if the release is in june before AMD then Nvidia should tell the world about it.

Want a reason? Investors. Every company wants to make money, the more the better. And you need money to make money.

Why do you think AMD and RTG are showing the world what their future is? Mostly to get the attention from investors and hope they invest in AMD.
The hype train is more of a bonus and not really their main focus.

Every company can greatly benefit from investors, and the best way to get their attention is showing the world you are the best in the market you are focused on.

So if Nvidia can release before AMD, we would have known. And the fact Nvidia hasn't said anything can mean 2 things.

1. they know what they have is sh*t and gets destroyed by polaris.

Or 2. It's far from ready and it will take a while before they will launch pascal.

Those are probably the only 2 options why pascal isn't announced yet. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

54 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That would make sense, they managed to fit roughly 8.9 billion transistors on the 28nm node and with 14/16nm they fit roughly twice as many on the same sized die.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

54 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If you quadruple the transistor count of Tahiti, you end up in the 16 billion ballpark. It's all very plausible in theory.

22 minutes ago, Notional said:

Back to school is the target, according to Lisa Su, for both Desktop and Laptop graphics solutions.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-01/amd-ceo-lisa-su-interview/

Had to revisit your comment. I've done a little digging, and apparently Polaris 10 and 11 are the old Ellesmere and Baffin, which are 14nm, mid and low end. The koth card Greenland, is apparently known as Vega 10 and could be 16nm FF+ from TSMC, if Glofo's 14nm LPP cannot handle the performance. We will see.

She's saying mid-2016 in that article. Not August. Just no later than September. Mid-2016 would be roughly May through August.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

yes but simply beating the 980ti is not the goal. That's a forgone conclusion... AMD knows it has to be fast enough to compete with Pascal flagship which is on 16nm finfet. So I don't think they will hold back.. Will be an arms race as we have seen before.

If we go back of the envelope with a Tahiti-sized GPU and quadrupled planar density, then you're looking at 16-17 billion transistors - twice as much as the GTX 980 Ti and Fury X pack. Quadrupled density may be a little on the optimistic side, but it's still going to be a BIG jump.

1 hour ago, aerandir92 said:

As far as I understood they've said "Summer 2016", so June-August is the best ETA we have

Mid-2016. But pretty close to the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

She's saying mid-2016 in that article. Not August. Just no later than September. Mid-2016 would be roughly May through August.

Back to school is in August. Either way, Polaris will be on the shelves before September, and that is nice.

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Back to school is in August. Either way, Polaris will be on the shelves before September, and that is nice.

Back to school is typically in early September.

I found nothing in the article that supports the claims in the title. Clickbait so stronk.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

3 hours ago, Notional said:

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Back to school is typically in early September.

I think you two are disagreeing on semantics on this :P School, in most places (North America in particular), starts first week of September. However, "Back to School" season, at least here in Canada, is considered to start in August - particularly the last two weeks of August, since that's when all the big retailers do their huge back to school shopping/sales push.

So to say they're aiming for Back To School, could very well mean by August, since they'll want to have it on the shelf, ready to purchase, before the end of August.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Some of you are saying AMD has a working high end sample of their GPU, however this could be the R9 490x, it might not be the successor for the Fury X

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

19 hours ago, Notional said:

GPU's are much simpler than CPU's in the architecture. That much is true, but afaik they also tend to be bigger. It might cause tape out to shelf to decrease from the normal 1 year, but half it? I seriously doubt that. That would put polaris on the shelves in a month or two, since they already have fully functional cards in demo.

We don't really know what TSMC is capable of atm, as only NVidia are getting big chips made. As mentioned before, phone chips worked fine on 20nm as well. The fact they work on low power, small size, low performance says little of the potential of 16nm ff+ on big high performance chips like dGPU's.

AMD has not officially stated they are using 16nm/TSMC on anything. On the contrary, they have officially stated that Polaris 10 and 11 (low and high end) are 14nm FF, and that they will use Samsung foundries on top of Global Foundries, meaning their projected production exceeds that of Global Foundries capacity.

There is 0 change of any AMD apu being TSMC manufactured. Not gonna happen. Maybe a SOC, but I honestly doubt it. Both ZEN and Polaris seems to be optimised for the 14nm FF node by Samsung/GloFo. It would make little sense to change that. The only scenario I can see, is if AMD exceeds production capabilities of both GloFo and Samsung. I seriously doubt that could happen.

They are indeed quiter simpler, but that extra validation for CPUs can take some time, especially on enterprise components.
They do tend to get bigger, because it is a big parallel powerhouse, and thats why it smart to start out with a smaller design, which is what we are seeing from AMD.
6 months is if you are experiencing no issues on either end, it might not be a big launch with multiple SKUs and whatnot. Of course there is more to it, like have developed stable drivers, getting OEM deals landed, get the chips to the warehouses and so on. Well, AMD was already showing off demos in december, from what I'm hearing..

Going from that perspective, we also dont know what Samsung/GloFo is capable of. Now, I dont expect that only phone chips are been manufactured at 16/14nm FinFet. There are a few fabless designhouses, I would expect them to be on the highest performance node. Don't know the die sizes of those, but I can try looking them up sometimes.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9886/amd-reveals-polaris-gpu-architecture/3
"The group [ radeon technologies group ] has confirmed that they will be utilizing both traditional partner TSMC’s 16nm process and AMD fab spin-off (and Samsung licensee) GlobalFoundries’ 14nm process, making this the first time that AMD’s graphics group has used more than a single fab"
Now perhaps it might be because of volume, but I also think that been able to offer semicustom deals on more nodes is playing a huge part. If for example your customer has some IP not validated on GloFo/samsung.

Zero chance? Many things can happen, you know!
I'm most certainly going to expect a SoC. Also I expect some semi-custom deals been fabbed at TSMC/Samsung.
Where did you get that its been optimized specifically for 14nm? All I get is that they are optimizing for FinFet.
Again, it does not necessarily have to be volume issues for having a ride range of manufacturing capabilities.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

We'll see, but this makes sense, no nvidia rumors or proof of a working Pascal is really concerning

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

On 2/2/2016 at 9:41 AM, Humbug said:

I really hope so. 

while 28nm was milked by both companies, where flagship dies started off small and more transistors were added each year to increase performance, 14/16nm may never see massive die sizes like 28nm did due to the amount of power required to get electrons to every transistor - I read a paper a while back talking about how the power requirement increases exponentially beyond 100mm^2 with first gen finfet, and while I'm sure the latest finfet may have doubled the maximum die size before power draw goes crazy, I sincerely doubt we will see 600mm^2 gpu dies anytime soon at 14nm. I hope we see a crazy jump in performance, but I'm still skeptical about them not milking this process node even worse.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

50 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I really hope so. 

while 28nm was milked by both companies, where flagship dies started off small and more transistors were added each year to increase performance, 14/16nm may never see massive die sizes like 28nm did due to the amount of power required to get electrons to every transistor - I read a paper a while back talking about how the power requirement increases exponentially beyond 100mm^2 with first gen finfet, and while I'm sure the latest finfet may have doubled the maximum die size before power draw goes crazy, I sincerely doubt we will see 600mm^2 gpu dies anytime soon at 14nm. I hope we see a crazy jump in performance, but I'm still skeptical about them not milking this process node even worse.

hmm it's not AMD/Nvidia who are to blame though regarding the milking of 28nm. They are not happy about the situation. They were let down by the fabs who struggled with the transition.

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

hmm it's not AMD/Nvidia who are to blame though regarding the milking of 28nm. They are not happy about the situation. They were let down by the fabs who struggled with the transition.

One of the obvious problems with a Fabless chip designer - they're literally at the mercy of the fabs. When the main fabs dropped the ball with 20nm, it screwed over both NVIDIA and AMD - costing them millions of dollars each, no doubt.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I feel like AMD is ahead of Nvidia by a couple of months. AMD has already shown working prototypes of Polaris, while Nvidia has done nothing of the sort. This article serves to show it is possible Pascal silicon still doesn't exist, and on top of the scandal with the Drive PX 2 actually not being Pascal GPUs but gtx 980ms, Pascal really might not exist. The last time Nvidia faked GPUs was with Fermi, when Fermi ended up getting delayed. If Polaris hits the market a couple of months before Pascal, AMD could hold a huge advantage.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I feel like AMD is ahead of Nvidia by a couple of months. AMD has already shown working prototypes of Polaris, while Nvidia has done nothing of the sort. This article serves to show it is possible Pascal silicon still doesn't exist, and on top of the scandal with the Drive PX 2 actually not being Pascal GPUs but gtx 980ms, Pascal really might not exist. The last time Nvidia faked GPUs was with Fermi, when Fermi ended up getting delayed. If Polaris hits the market a couple of months before Pascal, AMD could hold a huge advantage.

Indeed, in the past, NVIDIA has loved dropping new advanced products early, and rubbing it in AMD's face (Eg: 980 Ti and Titan X).

The fact that we haven't seen any demos at all, tells me that they're pretty far behind. Unless AMD drops the ball and runs into huge issues fine tuning their chips, they're going to have a huge advantage this year.

I've bought both AMD and NVIDIA GPU's, but I'm not a fan of NVIDIA's business practices. I don't want NVIDIA to go away or die or get crushed - but rather, I want AMD to succeed so it pressures NVIDIA to adopt more consumer friendly policies.

I also want to see AMD's marketing really take a turn for the positive, because despite having incredibly competitive products in the 300 series vs NVIDIA's 900 series, they sell a tiny fraction of the amount of cards. That makes no sense from a purely price/performance perspective. Many people won't ever even consider an AMD GPU because "they suck" or have "bad drivers" - despite neither being true (Both AMD and NVIDIA have occasional driver problems). It's baffling, but NVIDIA has really marketed themselves so much better.

nVidia=nLazydia, sitting on asses, picking noses to see their precious Pascal testing.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 2/2/2016 at 4:17 PM, AresKrieger said:

Reads "semiaccurate.com", can't take this seriously anymore because too funny xD

Lol.