Jim Keller moves to Tesla as Vice President of Autopilot Hardware Engineering

Electrek has learned that Tesla this month quietly hired high-profile microprocessor engineer Jim Keller as Vice President of Autopilot Hardware Engineering. Tesla today confirmed the news and sent us the following statement:

Jim Keller is joining Tesla as Vice President of Autopilot Hardware Engineering. Jim will bring together the best internal and external hardware technologies to develop the safest, most advanced autopilot systems in the world.

The role as Tesla describes it isn’t necessarily to focus on in-house microprocessors, although the company needs plenty of processing power for its  ‘Autopilot’ program. But Keller’s hardware engineering experience, especially his low-power design expertise as mentioned by Papermaster , undoubtedly represent valuable transferable skills useful for many of Tesla’s programs.

So much for those rumours about him going to Samsung/Intel or whatever. Hey, maybe they will use some AMD APUs now :D

The real questions is if they will bring the manufacturing of chips in-house or not. If so, MobilEye will lose a pretty big client. 

Edit: Forgot source -.- http://electrek.co/2016/01/28/tesla-jim-keller-apple-processor-architect-2/

lol this guy is an internet celebrity.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Who'da thunk it. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

- snip-

@patrickjp93

...Intel, huh?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I guess nvidia is scrapped then. Even tesla won't pay their overprice.

Sounds very interesting.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Jim going to get AMD hardware into automated cars just after nVidia announced their technologies? Lol

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Jim Keller has nothing to do with AMD, so this is solely Tesla's effort to be self-reliant in regards to autopilot.

Jim Keller seems to be basically a mercenary for hire, so he will do whatever interests him and pays well I suppose. Turns out Tesla gave him the best opportunity.

What I would agree with is that Nvidia is definitely getting slighted. However, Tesla is not the only company working on this technology so it's not like Nvidia just lost all business.

Jim Keller has nothing to do with AMD, so this is solely Tesla's effort to be self-reliant in regards to autopilot.

Jim Keller seems to be basically a mercenary for hire, so he will do whatever interests him and pays well I suppose. Turns out Tesla gave him the best opportunity.

What I would agree with is that Nvidia is definitely getting slighted. However, Tesla is not the only company working on this technology so it's not like Nvidia just lost all business.

Other than being the lead designer on Zen you mean?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

All the best to Mr.Keller at Tesla. 

I hope that his recent time at AMD will not be in vain and I am hopeful for what's coming around the corner on the AMD CPU front.

I have also learned that this forum's accuracy in regards to where certain employees go after they leave a company is on the level of your typical star wars stormtrooper.

@patrickjp93

...Intel, huh?

@patrickjp93

"He's gone to Intel, AMD IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!"

To be fair, he said we would hear about it "Monday or Tuesday". He never specified which Monday or Tuesday. For all we know, he could still be right in a decade or two. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Other than being the lead designer on Zen you mean?

He is not with AMD and hasn't been for months. So yes, he has nothing to do with it. Jim Keller works for Tesla. Him working for Tesla does not mean AMD has gotten a contract with Tesla.

Jim Keller has worked for AMD prior to Zen and when he went to Apple it wasn't related to AMD either.

Interesting, looking forward to seeing what Jim Keller comes up with

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

nVidia super computers and Jim Keller.  Tesla has some interesting things lining up.  Now they just need to be bought by Apple, promote Elon Musk to CEO of Apple, and then all will be good in the world.

nVidia super computers and Jim Keller.  Tesla has some interesting things lining up.  Now they just need to be bought by Apple, promote Elon Musk to CEO of Apple, and then all will be good in the world.

Elon Musk as CEO of Apple... that's a scary thought - imagine the potential powerhouse that could be created? Apple is already huge, but they largely just sit on that $100-some-odd Billion USD... Imagine what could be done with Musk at the helm, willing and ready to invest $100 Bn USD into advanced R&D projects? (Or quietly help fund Telsa/SpaceX :P lol)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Elon Musk as CEO of Apple... that's a scary thought - imagine the potential powerhouse that could be created? Apple is already huge, but they largely just sit on that $100-some-odd Billion USD... Imagine what could be done with Musk at the helm, willing and ready to invest $100 Bn USD into advanced R&D projects? (Or quietly help fund Telsa/SpaceX :P lol)

My dream idea is that Apple buys Tesla, makes Musk CEO, and then they purchase AMD.  Just imagine that.  I'm sure with Musk at the helm, we'd be seeing some insane things coming to fruition, but above all the sustainability of that mixture would be godly.  I think it'd be enough of a mixture to make most of the industry a little shakey.  Especially given now they could have in-house designed supercomputers from their acquisition of AMD, all those patents, and a rather fast negotitation with Intel for X86 in return for AMD_64.  Apple quality assurance, and support as well as R&D, Tesla R&D and Engineering teams, and then all of AMD tagging along with Musk at the helm.  It'd be a dream.  Sadly it is :c

My dream idea is that Apple buys Tesla, makes Musk CEO, and then they purchase AMD.  Just imagine that.  I'm sure with Musk at the helm, we'd be seeing some insane things coming to fruition, but above all the sustainability of that mixture would be godly.  I think it'd be enough of a mixture to make most of the industry a little shakey.  Especially given now they could have in-house designed supercomputers from their acquisition of AMD, all those patents, and a rather fast negotitation with Intel for X86 in return for AMD_64.  Apple quality assurance, and support as well as R&D, Tesla R&D and Engineering teams, and then all of AMD tagging along with Musk at the helm.  It'd be a dream.  Sadly it is :c

I could certainly see Apple buying Tesla - but making Musk the overall CEO is the part where our dreams become insubstantial - unfortunately.

But hey, you never know. 30 years ago, no one would have ever suspected that Apple would ditch PowerPC for Intel. That would have been a ludicrous notion.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I could certainly see Apple buying Tesla - but making Musk the overall CEO is the part where our dreams become insubstantial - unfortunately.

But hey, you never know. 30 years ago, no one would have ever suspected that Apple would ditch PowerPC for Intel. That would have been a ludicrous notion.

There've been some investment groups talking about the possibility that if Apple were to buy Tesla to move themselves in to the car game, they'd negotiate to get Tim out, and Elon in, as a way to further the deal.  So I don't think it is too outrageous, but the part where AMD enters the picture does, sadly.  It'd be an incredible move, honestly if that were to happen.  AMD incorporated in to the Cars, all Apple products with upcoming Zen and Arctic Islands, SOC's for Apple phones, and all the money they could take advantage of.  Imagine an iMac with Freesync.  Not to mention how scary that patent portfolio would be..

Yup, can't see AMD being a part of any Tesla, AMD and Apple triangle.

Apple buying Tesla? Not unlikely. Tim Cook ousted for Elon Musk? Not necessarily unlikely either. The problem? I can't see Elon Musk heading Apple's bread and butter business of iPhones and iPads.

By that I mean I doubt he has the same passion and interest for iPhones that he does for the more esoteric and radical businesses such as space travel and electric cars.

So it would seem weird to me and if Elon Musk had his way, I could imagine a radical shift in Apple's operation.

There's so many variables in such a scenario. And I'm obviously no expert.

In any case: interesting ideas but I don't think it'll happen. Too many ifs and I think Elon Musk would want too much free reign for a company like Apple regardless of what position he'd get.

Apple iSpace, everyone goes to Mars, whether you like it or not.

To be fair, he said we would hear about it "Monday or Tuesday". He never specified which Monday or Tuesday. For all we know, he could still be right in a decade or two. 

plot twist he announces it on a friday