Breakthrough in battery tech.

Ridska

I know that, that's not the issue - My problem with this is that it's lithium. Most other forms of energy storage are fairly easy to tackle if they explode or leak - Lead-acid batteries, you pour baking soda onto it, dry-cell batteries and NiMH batteries, you dispose of them in a waste container. Hell, even combustible fuels aren't that big a deal because of the nature of their combustion, and they're not volatile enough to just spontaneously combust through thermal runaway. If petrol catches fire, you can put it out relatively easily - starve it of oxygen. Household fire extinguishers can deal with that.

With lithium batteries, it's not that simple. Metal fires are a whole other beast to deal with, if lithium catches fire, it'll cook itself and everything around it unless dealt with by means usually beyond that of the average consumer, and most methods involve burying it in dense, inert, metal-fire-retardant foam until it's finished frying.

We can build batteries to tolerance and they won't be a problem. However, if the technology is implemented incorrectly or carelessly (CHINA) for a batch of smartphones for instance, all of a sudden we won't be dealing with people just having their trousers catch fire, these things will probably burn straight through them as well. And if they have a pallet on a plane that's full of laptops with unstable batteries and one catches fire... at five times the energy density, you're going to need a much beefier fire suppression system to tackle it.

I'm sure Ventura Aerospace is already looking at this article just as much as we are.

Lithium is still the best thing there is soo...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I think the more we advance in battery tech , The sooner we will be away from fossile fuels

How do you think the vast majority of electrical energy is produced?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Lithium is still the best thing there is soo...

It is, but before people start going out and building phones with 50Wh batteries the size of credit cards in them, we need to figure out some way of making them safely, otherwise people are going to walk around with their phones in their hands and all of a sudden their hand is on fire.

This shit again. It's every six months or so that we hear about the revolutionary new batteries. Except even if it's found to be feasible five years down the line, it'll still be another ten before we'll see it in commercial products.

I assume you're referring to coal, oil etc.

Depends on how you look at it. Some countries are getting a lot of their electricity from renewable sources.

Of course in the grand scheme of things it's a very small percentage.

I don't really care about energy density anymore, I just want better capacity/$, the main problem with batteries is their price, not the volume they take up.

It is, but before people start going out and building phones with 50Wh batteries the size of credit cards in them, we need to figure out some way of making them safely, otherwise people are going to walk around with their phones in their hands and all of a sudden their hand is on fire.

With 50Whr battery exploding their hand won't be there anymore so it's okay.  :lol:

coal, water and nuclear.

coal is a major problem I will give you that. We need more nuclear reactors.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

...nuclear?

lol. :P

yeah, that's MUCH better for the environment...  :rolleyes: either way it's not that widely used and it doesn't look like governments want any more for the time being. In my country we've had a referendum and made them illegal.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Source : http://bgr.com/2016/01/25/lithium-oxygen-battery-research/

The sourced artical was puplished in 25.1.16

Comment : I think the more we advance in battery tech , The sooner we will be away from fossile fuels and the EV car market and other more markets that rely on electricity will have taken a huge step towards advancements in tech.

Thanks and stay groovie.

Dont think so, currently all full electric cars have several hours of charge time. Of course there are fast chargers but using them too frequently will have a huge negative effect on the battery's life time.... :rolleyes:

Hope we get some new type soon... current lasting is just terrible.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

depends where you live

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

another one? D: Seen a lot of them, still waiting for one to hit the market.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

depends where you live

I live on planet Earth and that's the place I'm referring to

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yup. The biggest hurdles in renewable energy relate to it being seasonal and regional and there not being viable methods for storing and transporting the energy. I believe, one day we'll have battery trucks like we have oil trucks now. 

Or we could just run massive power lines like we already do....

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

yeah and then everyone blames them for exploding those kid heads 

batteries need a ton of research to be viable. the security alone takes years of testing. 

they literally asked for it.

yeah, that's MUCH better for the environment...  :rolleyes: either way it's not that widely used and it doesn't look like governments want any more for the time being. In my country we've had a referendum and made them illegal.

nuclear is indeed much better for the environment. a WHOLE lot better. It has lower CO2 emissions per WH than air turbines. And a couple of times lower ones than solar panels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-cycle_greenhouse-gas_emissions_of_energy_sources

Spoiler

nuclear is indeed much better for the environment. a WHOLE lot better. It has lower CO2 emissions per WH than air turbines. And a couple of times lower ones than solar panels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-cycle_greenhouse-gas_emissions_of_energy_sources

but you can't get rid of the waste

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

but you can't get rid of thwe waste

why? I hate people like you so much. Read sensationalist news papers and come out shouting non-sense.

Spoiler

why? I hate people like you so much. Read sensationalist news papers and come out shouting non-sense.

all right then, explain me how you plan on destroying or nutralizing nuclear waste

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

all right then, explain me how you plan on destroying or nutralizing nuclear waste

We have reactor tech that produces much less harmful waist. Public opinion of nuclear is bad though so it's hard to implement them. Our current reactors are decades old. If we kept advancing the deployed tech like we have with coal and other sources of energy nuclear would be a very clean source of energy.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Which nuclear waste?

High-level waste? Process it, wait a decade or two.

Intermediate-level waste? Store it in a shielded facility for a while.

Low-level waste? Dump it in mines, just like we do now. 

High-level and intermediate-level waste decays really quickly into low-level waste.

You have to understand something, the whole planet is radioactive. Uranium we mine is radioactive already. The only difference is that we dig it up and refine it. 

Is radioactive waste dangerous? Yes. Can it be harmful to the environment? Yes. Do we know about the risks? Yes. Can we prevent them? Yes.

Also you have to understand that, we don't use that much uranium at all.

For example: Germany used 1.8 thousand metric tons (1,800,000kg) of Uranium in 2014.

Germany used about 250 million short tons of coal in 2014 (~225,000,000,000kg)

coal makes up about 12% of power in germany, nuclear 8%. Just weigh it in your mind. 

Spoiler

Coal also releases particulates of uranium into the atmosphere with its smoke. And modern nuclear reactors can reuse fuel to the point the volumes needed to deal with is miniscule, and with future reactors like the pebble bed most of them, after fully used up are premade for the storage they need.

I wonder if fully depleted nuclear fuel could be used to make those nuclear thermal batteries and just start pumping those out for homes and cars...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste/

Title is a bit misleading, coal ash releases more radioactive material than nuclear generation, but I believe the raw radioactivity is still solidly on the side of nuclear.