If You Can't Beat Them... Project "Nocturnal" or How to make a Noctua cooled system look good.

Audengineer

So you want to use fans and heatsinks, build a silent rig, and not have to deal with the maintenance of liquid cooling.

Great, but you've chosen to go with Noctua coolers and fans...

Did I mention that the case has two big windows and those brown and tan bits will be on full display for all to see.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

foKh1Ms.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So you want to use fans and heatsinks, build a silent rig, and not have to deal with the maintenance of liquid cooling.

Great, but you've chosen to go with Noctua coolers and fans...

Did I mention that the case has two big windows and those brown and tan bits will be on full display for all to see.

Use the LTT Noctuas?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

sexy is a fuck. i dont get why ppl always hate on noctuas choice of color. i really like it

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

sexy is a fuck. i dont get why ppl always hate on noctuas choice of color. i really like it

noctua fans would be epic for a wooden case

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

4g5fq9m.jpg

Sup

well every system can look shitty without showing some love to it  :wacko:

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

noctua fans would be epic for a wooden case

nah they look great in white/creme builds too. i just dont get the "everything has to be RGB hype"

Fire Strike Score

nah they look great in white/creme builds too. i just dont get the "everything has to be RGB hype"

yeah I kinda hate that. we get stuck of shiny lights instead of tech advancement

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I don't think it's that they're ugly, it just that they don't go with most builds, and if they don't go with the theme, they stick out like a sore thumb.

If you have a build that matches the colour, they would be great!  In fact, since they're probably the only fan that will match any build that they match, you should be glad they are that colour :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

well every system can look shitty without showing some love to it  :wacko:

are you saying his build looks shitty?.. 

I'd like to preface this build with the "Why" then the what.
This is less of a new build and more of a case swap and overall upgrade.

My system was in a 4u rack mounted under my desk in my post studio. My temperatures were kept in check by lots of air moving very quickly. Needless to say, my acoustic levels were less than desirable.

So a large case with lots of fans moving very slow would solve this problem.

Case. CaseLabs S8
Motherboard Asus Z9pe-d8 ws
CPU. 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630v2
GPU. 2 x EVGA GTX 980ti
Ram. 8 x Crucial 8GB ECC 1866
Storage. 4 x 850 pro 512GB. 4 x WD 4TB nas
Audio. Avid HD Native with 192HD 16x16x16
Coolers. 2 x Noctua NH-U14 dual fans each
12 x Noctua 120mm at 500 rpm
Now, how to make all of that look good...

So I start with putting it all in the case and getting some idea of how it fits and sort out cable runs and look for any potential snags I may encounter along the way.

post-234754-0-85423900-1453755630_thumb.

This build will be featuring copper accenting. Ram heat speaders, motherboard heatsinks, as well as a copper bath for the NH-14's.

post-234754-0-50845100-1453755964_thumb.

This build will be featuring copper accenting. Ram heat speaders, motherboard heatsinks, as well as a copper bath for the NH-14's.

But it looks so awful.. I mean, you try to make everything good.. But you have to change the motherboard.. blue doesn't go very well with creamy brown... <Basically just wait for the gold motherboard :P

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

The coolers and MB heat sinks will get copper electroplating as well as the CPU hold downs and the secufirm mounts.

While they are off of the motherboard, I will address one other area of ugly, the board itself.

Asus workstation boards, with their 2 different shades of blue and lots of white headers needs a facelift.

So it will get painted, yes that's right, painted Noctua tan and brown.

Now I've been building models and props most of my life and I'm no stranger to fine detail airbrushing, which will come in handy while tackling such a task. Also the use of modeling acrylics specially made to bond to plastic will result in a very durable finish. I will post a video of this process once I've completed it, less of a how to and more of a "how I did it, proceed at your own risk" sort of thing.

How about some custom sleeving. Thanks to the guys at CaseLabs.

post-234754-0-49792500-1453757415_thumb.

love this

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Fan isn't brown on the 980 , doesn't count

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!