Pascal and Volta

sgtrecker78

Hi guys, when the pascal predecessor to the titan x comes out in June that is supposed to be 10x faster than the current titan x, i am going to buy it right away... BUT, Nvidia then announced that in 2018 they would be putting a new michroarchitecter into consumer GPU's, called Volta. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a link to an article or something so that I would stop worrying about my new GPU being outdated, or improved upon ALREADY in just 2 years. I am just looking for someone to tell me that volta will only be in their high end $4000 GPU's so i can know that it is something far out of my reach OR that it will only be implemented into GPU's meant for content creation only, and not good for gaming..

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-volta-succeed-pascal-2018/

This doesn't belong here.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

This 10x thing is really old and has been debunked more than enough already.  please read around for some better information

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Pascal is the next revision for GeForce cards. Volta will be the one after that - all according to Nvidia's roadmap.

We have no idea what they're going to do specifically. We have no idea how they're going to perform. Anyone who says they do is lying.

theres non point into waiting until 2018 and i highly doubt that pascal will be 10x better than the current gpus technology doesnt work that way

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

This 10x thing is really old and has been debunked more than enough already.  please read around for some better information

what do you mean...

Yeah, the slides of nvidia show volta very high for some reason, probably will be compute oriented. 

And maxwell will only probably ( ok this is just my speculation ) just a lower node similar architecture.

supposed to be 10x faster than the current titan x

I laughed out loud at that. That's pretty much impossible, unless they want to price it at something like $5,000+

Hi guys, when the pascal predecessor to the titan x comes out in June that is supposed to be 10x faster than the current titan x, i am going to buy it right away... BUT, Nvidia then announced that in 2018 they would be putting a new michroarchitecter into consumer GPU's, called Volta. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a link to an article or something so that I would stop worrying about my new GPU being outdated, or improved upon ALREADY in just 2 years. I am just looking for someone to tell me that volta will only be in their high end $4000 GPU's so i can know that it is something far out of my reach OR that it will only be implemented into GPU's meant for content creation only, and not good for gaming..

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-volta-succeed-pascal-2018/

It won't be 10x more powerful . That has been debunked many times.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

what do you mean...

If I remember correctly, Maxwell GPUs aren't the greatest for compute, and that 10x compute performance is compared to Maxwell.

Feel free to correct me though.

I laughed out loud at that. That's pretty much impossible, unless they want to price it at something like $5,000+

Easy:

1. Gimp 

2. Introduce new form of compute using new form of compute processors

3.???

4. Nvidia.

/jk

10 times better at the thing it was designed to do better is easy. 10 times better at games, nah

unless you are Euclideon. Cya march 31st.

Lol, what is this?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

what do you mean...

It's not going to just be outright 10x fps or something like that.  It was up to 10x the compute performance, in very certain situations, when using things like NVlink that most people will never have, etc etc etc.

Also, this is misworded:

Hi guys, when the pascal predecessor to the titan x comes out in June 

It won't be the predecessor, it will be the successor 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If this is true, I'll likely skip pascal and upgrade in 2018. I have my PC the way I want it now and I wouldn't mind not unloading money into it for a couple years if possible

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/462486-nvidia-pascal-mythbusting/

Pascal should be ten times faster in mixed precision compute ( 16 bit ).

Maxwell is pretty terrible at compute.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

what do you mean...

10x better performance for best case scenario compute performance in their super high end cards. Their Gpus for consumers will be about he same as amd Polaris, and will probably give 50-100% better gaming performance at the best.

Never trust those things. They always want to paint a beautiful picture and get you hyped then you realized it's only for 0.0001% of workloads and that it costs thousands for those Gpus.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/462486-nvidia-pascal-mythbusting/

Pascal should be ten times faster in mixed precision compute ( 16 bit ).

Maxwell is pretty terrible at compute.

Yes, thank you that's the link I was thinking of.

OP, please read :)

If a moderator passes by here... Please move this topic to somewhere else. This is not where it should be. Probably should be in Gpus or general discussion.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

what do you guys thin the price will be

Same as now. The Titan whatever will probably be 1000.

EDIT:

None of nvidias pricing is a surprise any more.

The Titan blank will be 1k

The 1080 ti will we 650-700

The 1080 will be 450-550

The 1070 will be 300-400

The 1060 will be 200-250

The 1050 will be 150-200.

Don't know if it'll be 1050ti or 1060 ti. I guess we will find out.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler