Linustechtips's future

Axdfsdf

Exactly, Linus has moved from reviewing to selling. Which because of his involvement with NCIX his standing as a reviewer was tenuous at best. His opinion now means precisely nothing as far as an unbiased source of information. Glad we agree.

Each opinion should be judged according to its own merit.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Each opinion should be judged according to its own merit.

Really? So you listen to the manufacturer as to the performance and quality of their products?

An unbiased opinion and better yet source of information is critical when making a large purchase. Linus has proven himself bias as he is now selling the product he says he reviews. Nothing evil in that, just changes the classification of his channel.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Really? So you listen to the manufacturer as to the performance and quality of their products?

An unbiased opinion and better yet source of information is critical when making a large purchase. Linus has proven himself bias as he is now selling the product he says he reviews. Nothing evil in that, just changes the classification of his channel.

Every source should be examined and judged. Blindly discounting one thing over another is just as bad as blindly believing it. Its not like its hard to figure out whether a LTT noctua fan is any good or not.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Kings do not "retire"! King Linus of Techtips will rule until hair falls from his head and Slick sleeps for once!

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

Every source should be examined and judged. Blindly discounting one thing over another is just as bad as blindly believing it. Its not like its hard to figure out whether a LTT noctua fan is any good or not.

It goes without saying that every source should be examined, well it usually goes without saying. You're missing the point. There are testers and reviewers that if sponsored list their sponsorship. Said in the first post that everyone has to eat. My interest is not in feeding Linus, but getting the best component for my investment. When I want to be entertained I feed Linus. When I want to buy a graphics card I would sooner listen to your advice than his.

I'm very new to this channel and i'm loving it! So I'm wondering how long linus is planning on continuing the channel. He's 29 years old didn't he start like 8 years ago or something? Is he going to continue it till the channel is no longer successful? Idk just wondering what you guys thought he was planning on doing.

Linus is building a media company, this is about more than Youtube.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I know what he was saying, I'm just saying it's complete nonsensical bullshit. He payed to have the fans made for him in a large number, then organised sellers and sold them for a profit. That's how business works, but for Linus to be dishonest about Noctua would damage his business, so why would he do it? It's just the usual grasping at straws to make up conspiracy theories.

Well you can't blame the general public, as they have no clue to what they are thinking. (that is the internet and it has make the world full of wannabies, sorry to say that.)

Exactly, Linus has moved from reviewing to selling. Which because of his involvement with NCIX his standing as a reviewer was tenuous at best. His opinion now means precisely nothing as far as an unbiased source of information. Glad we agree.

What is wrong with selling? You need something to keep the business afloat? So selling shirts to help support is wrong as well?

Ahh come on, not like he is asking the worst fan maker to do this and make a shit ton of profit via a lousy product?

So a reseller that sells Noc fans are bad businesses? Think about that.

At least they try to keep their content as honest as possible.

Linus' videos are usually sponsored by various companies and he makes deals with various companies to create a win-win situation for himself/company. I personally don't have an interest in his videos anymore, mostly because of the embedded sponsors in the video is really annoying. Plus, his reviews for some products are, while still informative, are definately bais and "paid" which invalidates his claims ok occasion.

If you do follow them well enuff, not always they agree with their sponsors.

Each tech has it pros and cons and they never hide the con just because they want to retain their sponsors?

Even most expensive tech has it cons.

So far they have been doing a good job in keeping the balance right where it is suppose to be.

Sorry peeps, just my 2 cents.

I really hope he keeps things coming and it is not a everyday you see such a company.

Keep it up LMG!

What is wrong with selling? You need something to keep the business afloat? So selling shirts to help support is wrong as well?

Ahh come on, not like he is asking the worst fan maker to do this and make a shit ton of profit via a lousy product?

So a reseller that sells Noc fans are bad businesses? Think about that.

At least they try to keep their content as honest as possible.

Exactly, Linus is a business. As such he is biased and should not be trusted to give advice that will help you, he'll give advice that helps his business.

Videos are still funny though.

Exactly, Linus is a business. As such he is biased and should not be trusted to give advice that will help you, he'll give advice that helps his business.

I do not believe that is his strategy either. Giving advice that only helps him and not you would be bad business as well. He DOES give advice that helps his business which is also advice that helps you, as it would be bad business to sponsor a product that would ruin his business. For example, Linus has dropped a few WAN show sponsors in the past after receiving complaints. This is the same with all of his products. Even if companies send him a sample of a product for free to be reviewed, and it SUCKS, then he will rant about how the product SUCKS, and he will simply take the heat from the company that made the product instead of his viewers.

I do not believe that is his strategy either. Giving advice that only helps him and not you would be bad business as well. He DOES give advice that helps his business which is also advice that helps you, as it would be bad business to sponsor a product that would ruin his business. For example, Linus has dropped a few WAN show sponsors in the past after receiving complaints. This is the same with all of his products. Even if companies send him a sample of a product for free to be reviewed, and it SUCKS, then he will rant about how the product SUCKS, and he will simply take the heat from the company that made the product instead of his viewers.

Exhibit A, let me know if you need more.

Exhibit A, let me know if you need more.

What is the difference between this, and all the other things he reviewed at CES. It is not like he even recommended the Revolt or anything. He just talked about some of its cool features and acknowledged the fact that they made a custom side panel for him. It is not like that changes the way he thinks about it... He even said he would be "putting it through the paces" meaning that he would take it apart or whatever then rate its difficulty of dis-assembly, and that he has not already made his decision on the practicality of the system.

Do you remember all the chair reviews back when he was trying to make a deal with one chair company for the new office? Pretty much all of the chairs were kindly sent by the companies that make them and Linus would talk about the things he did and did not like about the chairs, and eventually choose one that suits him the best, in this case: Maxnomic. It is not like companies do not like criticism either. Especially really critical reviewers such as Linus can teach them what their market is interested in, and help them improve their next revision. In the past, this has been evident as Linus has given 2nd generation products awesome reviews that were terrible in their first iteration.

So yes, I would need to see much more obvious proof that Linus is biased to a particular product for dishonest reasons.

What is the difference between this, and all the other things he reviewed at CES. It is not like he even recommended the Revolt or anything. He just talked about some of its cool features and acknowledged the fact that they made a custom side panel for him. It is not like that changes the way he thinks about it... He even said he would be "putting it through the paces" meaning that he would take it apart or whatever then rate its difficulty of dis-assembly, and that he has not already made his decision on the practicality of the system.

Do you remember all the chair reviews back when he was trying to make a deal with one chair company for the new office? Pretty much all of the chairs were kindly sent by the companies that make them and Linus would talk about the things he did and did not like about the chairs, and eventually choose one that suits him the best, in this case: Maxnomic. It is not like companies do not like criticism either. Especially really critical reviewers such as Linus can teach them what their market is interested in, and help them improve their next revision. In the past, this has been evident as Linus has given 2nd generation products awesome reviews that were terrible in their first iteration.

So yes, I would need to see much more obvious proof that Linus is biased to a particular product for dishonest reasons.

iBUYPOWER rips off those new to the hobby, there's no excuse for giving them air time.

And where did I say dishonest? Honestly. I've gone out of my way to list the reasons it's in Linus's best interest to do what's best for his company. As consumers our interests are in our own needs. He makes funny videos, that I can support.

How about the listing of the 380x as a 1440 card? Which no one else has done.

Or the 300 series as a rebrand?

I think that Linus will keep making videos as long as there is a viewership for it.  The current viewership isn't going away either.  The tech world is always changing and innovating, and we need tech reviewers to cover this kind of thing and keep communities like the LTT community going!

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

It goes without saying that every source should be examined, well it usually goes without saying. You're missing the point. There are testers and reviewers that if sponsored list their sponsorship. Said in the first post that everyone has to eat. My interest is not in feeding Linus, but getting the best component for my investment. When I want to be entertained I feed Linus. When I want to buy a graphics card I would sooner listen to your advice than his.

Yeah. I get that. And agree with it. I just don't think lmg is as far down the same path as of today. They're on it, definitely, but I don't think they're far enough down it yet to have their stuff discounted. I think there are different and better arguments as to why and how various tech reviews have been going down in review quality, which don't really involve reviewer and company ethics.

Yeah. I get that. And agree with it. I just don't think lmg is as far down the same path as of today. They're on it, definitely, but I don't think they're far enough down it yet to have their stuff discounted. I think there are different and better arguments as to why and how various tech reviews have been going down in review quality, which don't really involve reviewer and company ethics.

This I agree with and why I subscribe to their channel. My only caveat is that Linus needs to adjust his testing methods to reflect the YouTube community. Digital Foundry has proven some of Linus's findings incorrect, such as RAM speed effecting fps. Or his recent video on running DDR3 with a Skylake CPU.

If Linus sticks to what he does best which is tech news, things will go nicely.

iBUYPOWER rips off those new to the hobby, there's no excuse for giving them air time.

And where did I say dishonest? Honestly. I've gone out of my way to list the reasons it's in Linus's best interest to do what's best for his company. As consumers our interests are in our own needs. He makes funny videos, that I can support.

I don't know what you are trying to say by "Linus's best interest to do what's best for his company." No company has ever paid him to make a good review of their product. Now, I do agree that the 380x is clearly NOT a 1440p card, but it is not like there was not benchmarks that let you see for yourself. Besides, for some people used to playing on their favorite 30Hz Battlefield 4 server, it can actually be argued in his favor, but having seen the benchmarks in this video, I would not buy it for 1440p gaming as I do not even use my Gigabyte G1 gaming gtx 980 for 1440p gaming. As for the awards video, some of the awards were silly and again, the awards he did give were not to benefit his company directly, but to recommend to his viewers what he thinks they would like, and hopefully grow his channel through his good reviews and recommendations.

This I agree with and why I subscribe to their channel. My only caveat is that Linus needs to adjust his testing methods to reflect the YouTube community. Digital Foundry has proven some of Linus's findings incorrect, such as RAM speed effecting fps. Or his recent video on running DDR3 with a Skylake CPU.

If Linus sticks to what he does best which is tech news, things will go nicely.

When did Linus say that RAM speeds affect fps??

When did Linus say that RAM speeds affect fps??

Ram speed directly effect fps.

Not at all what my point was. Glad you've made it clear I'm arguing with a brick wall.

Yes, I do, as he probably does and as you should. Companies are bound by law to be honest about the performance of their products, and when they're not there's big trouble for them. As such the statements of a company about their product are usually perfectly fine with a grain of salt.

Business = biased. Cool. Great, sound logic that can ALWAYS be applied with NO NUANCE whatsoever.

Linus oversells an AMD card's capabilities = "BIASED"

Linus criticises something AMD does = "BIASED"

Damned if you do, damned it you don't.

Also, from a saphire 380x's page on their site "With a 4GB frame buffer and a SAPPHIRE Performance Index of 3 it is guaranteed to deliver a great gaming experience in high detail at 1080p and is the entry point for 1440p gaming."

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

He'll probably carry on going forever I would assume?

this

im sure he will just keep going and growing as long as its a viable source of income

I dont see YouTube going away, and if it does, im sure linus can move to other platforms (as he already has with vessel etc) 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No he's spot on. Linus has a series of case fans with his name on it. No one with enough brain cells to wipe their ass after taking a shit will trust his reviews ever again. Which is sad, I get it that everyone needs to eat and support their families but Linus has crossed the line into selling, not reviewing.

I disagree, I feel that LMG has been fairly transparent with us. Noctua makes a great product which many people swear by. I don't believe he would've agreed to such a deal with Cooler Master fans. If I was a big camera reviewer (I love canon and swear by them but I also dislike plenty about them) and wanted to collaborate with me to create a "special edition DSLR body or lens" I wouldn't shoot that down. I swear by canon cameras but if a particular canon camera doesn't fit someone's needs I'm more than willing to address that and point a person to something that meets their needs, as I understand that if I push them to my "special branded camera" and they hate it, they won't trust me again. I've never herd Linus say anything to push people to buy the LTT fans. While you could say that the fact that his name is on it IS telling people to buy them. I don't believe Linus has sold out. I believe LMG is still small enough to understand the importance of integrity, which isn't to say that they will lose this as they grow. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Aside from the professionalism in LTT ability to produce polished videos and a growing employee base, I can't really see much difference in the way Linus approaches things from the time I tuned into this live stream when it was just him in front of a Samsung monitor in his own home office up until the WAN Show.  I think it's easy for people to sit in front of their computer and play the judgmental cards through their keyboards and brain vomit crud like "linus sells a LTT branded noctua fan, so now he can't be trusted".  Business is business, I'll never argue that; but I wouldn't say that Linus is going to over sell his branded fan from Noctua over another equally priced and performing case/radiator fan if it existed.  Yes, while there are comparable products out there they still do not meet or exceed Noctua's performance at the same audible level that they provide.    As far as I can tell he hasn't done so either, and over the years before he even created this branded Noctua fan he constantly (from the garage days) went through a series of difference fans looking for what might prove to be possibly the best for price/performance/and less audible noise.  Next to that, we are all uniquely provided with our own opportunities to test our own facts against theirs in order to replicate what they have experienced in efforts to prove them wrong should we so choose.  So saying "Linus can't be trusted" because he was smart enough to choose the unicorn of silent fan operation as a product to put his own LMG brand on sound like hasty b****ing to me.

.02 - Lots of Hasty Generalizations; smart business is smart business in the end, but he still understands his audience ultimately dictates his portfolio.  I think they do a superb job considering the market they exist in where either boobs get the views therefore the sponsorships, or you sell out completely; of which I do not think Linus has sold out in anyway.

I disagree, I feel that LMG has been fairly transparent with us. Noctua makes a great product which many people swear by. I don't believe he would've agreed to such a deal with Cooler Master fans. If I was a big camera reviewer (I love canon and swear by them but I also dislike plenty about them) and wanted to collaborate with me to create a "special edition DSLR body or lens" I wouldn't shoot that down. I swear by canon cameras but if a particular canon camera doesn't fit someone's needs I'm more than willing to address that and point a person to something that meets their needs, as I understand that if I push them to my "special branded camera" and they hate it, they won't trust me again. I've never herd Linus say anything to push people to buy the LTT fans. While you could say that the fact that his name is on it IS telling people to buy them. I don't believe Linus has sold out. I believe LMG is still small enough to understand the importance of integrity, which isn't to say that they will lose this as they grow. 

^^^

Interesting read.

Some have accurately predicted that we will continue down our current path of focusing on entertainment rather than plain Jane reviews. We'd like to be something of a "Top Gear of tech"

But that doesn't mean that we are (or have ever been) in the business of spreading misinformation intentionally.

I've always believed (though I've seen some recent evidence to the contrary, which blows my mind but isn't my problem..) that if you lead your audience in the wrong direction enough times you will eventually turn around to find out no one is following you, and that's the way that I have, and will continue to run Linus Media Group.

Linus

Interesting read.

Some have accurately predicted that we will continue down our current path of focusing on entertainment rather than plain Jane reviews. We'd like to be something of a "Top Gear of tech"

But that doesn't mean that we are (or have ever been) in the business of spreading misinformation intentionally.

I've always believed (though I've seen some recent evidence to the contrary, which blows my mind but isn't my problem..) that if you lead your audience in the wrong direction enough times you will eventually turn around to find out no one is following you, and that's the way that I have, and will continue to run Linus Media Group.

Linus

I hope you continue to have great success, it's awesome to see a bunch of nerds living the nerd-dream :D

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Interesting read.

Many people including myself (brown nosing a bit here) hold you and your channel in high regards. I always feel like I can watch a product review and feel as though I'm getting an honest review. However I will still go watch something from Jayz2cents and awesome sauce. That all being said I love the channel and it's very cool to have seen LMG grow over the last couple of years. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.)