How long will broadwell-e last?

How long will broadwell-e last if you get a high end mobi? (Asus x99 deluxe)

3 months?

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

I would say that it'll last as long as it meets your needs. Heck, even a 2500K is still usable for a lot of people today and that was released in 2011.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 months?

my haswell i5 lasted more then 3 months why would broadwell-e have a shorter time before going out of date?

crystal-ball.jpg

How 'bout u wait for the thing to even release before asking how long it'll last?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

my haswell i5 lasted more then 3 months why would broadwell-e have a shorter time before going out of date?

I hate the term "out-of-date." It seems to imply that the product has no use left because a newer version is out - the reality is the CPU will likely last for years before requiring an upgrade.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

crystal-ball.jpg

When will it be released? Or should I use haswell-e?

How 'bout u wait for the thing to even release before asking how long it'll last?

If you get the 10 cored / 20 threaded version it might as well last for 10 years or so (depending on the usage)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

A long ass time.

The 3930K is still a bangin' CPU to this day.

even a 6 core? I'm wondering because I need a cpu that can last for a while

My old i7 3820 from 2012 was a great CPU. I'd honestly use one of those for another two years if I didn't have my new processor. It'll last you a long time... 5-6 years.

If you get the 10 cored / 20 threaded version it might as well last for 10 years or so (depending on the usage)

UNLESS PEOPLE MAKE SUPER FAST SINGLE CORES AND THE AMOUNT OF CORES BECOMES OBSOLETE IN MOST SITUATIONS BECAUSE DEVELOPERS WILL MAKE GAMES OPTIMIZED FOR SINGLE CORE USAGE AGAIN?

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

(To your previous question

Yeah, we all need a CPU that can last as long as possible. Say, what do you want out of your machine?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The old i7 960 is still an alright CPU, especially considering its age.

My dad uses a 4820K and it shits on everything still. Even the new Skylake stuff I'd imagine.

Probably a solid 6 to 10 years unless you seriously NEED cutting edge tech.

UNLESS PEOPLE MAKE SUPER FAST SINGLE CORES AND THE AMOUNT OF CORES BECOMES OBSOLETE IN MOST SITUATIONS BECAUSE DEVELOPERS WILL MAKE GAMES OPTIMIZED FOR SINGLE CORE USAGE AGAIN?

You know that's not going to happen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

about 15-20 years, probably more

unless you overclock it with added voltage or let it heat up too much, then it might be about 10-15 years

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Any X99 based system will last you at the very least 5 years. Even my 4930k will last me for many more years to come. The only reason I would have to upgrade anything would be if I wanted NVMe as primary storage, but X99 doesn't have those issues.

I'm betting that if you get a X99 system today, that it will probably last you for a good 10 years before it starts to feel slow. And even then, it will still probably kick ass.

Edit: And then the only reason to upgrade would still probably be features and such. I'm sure that it would still be good performance wise.

30 or 40 years unless you kill it somehow.

But honestly that's kind of a stupid question, both because the chip itself will last ages, and we have absolutely no way to tell the future.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Upgrade my CPU every 4 weeks master race reporting in. If you think even for a single second that a high end Broadwell-E CPU will last for more than 45 days you are straight out of your mind.

For real though probably 4-6 years (on a gaming rig) assuming things progress at a normal rate. Unless you're hurting for performance (doubt it), I'd let it ride for as long as you can. For a non-gaming rig, probably twice that or even more.