CX 500M on FX 8320E and r9 390?

Phoenix721
Go to solution Solved by Ophidio,

Don't the XFX PSUs make a lot of noise?

I personally have never heard of this issue, maybe @STRMfrmXMN can answer that question a little better than I can. I've just never heard of this issue, but honestly I couldn't imagine it being any louder than a CX under load. I used to have a CX myself and that thing was only good for one thing. Warming my toes up when it got really cold. I'm sad now because I have an EVGA unit where the fan hardly ever spins so my toes don't get to be toasty anymore during these cold winter nights. 

So, I have an FX 8320E and an old CX 500M and I was wondering if when I get an r9 390, will they run ok? If not, what alternative should I look for? Thank you.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

I'd upgrade the PSU first. You'll see some bottlenecking in certain games.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

No, do not do that. Never mind heat output but you'll be getting way to close to its power limit. What's your budget on a PSU.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

No, do not use that PSU with that Card. That's a terrible idea, also most 390s recommend you have at least a 650 Watt PSU. I'd recommend grabbing a 750w PSU though of course so you have extra headroom for overclocking and such without worrying about over working the PSU. Of course normal brand, EVGA B2, G2, GS, P2/Anything XFX or Seasonic, Corsair RMx series, some Silverstone models, and Antec High Current Gamer.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

So, I have an FX 8320E and an old CX 500M and I was wondering if when I get an r9 390, will they run ok? If not, what alternative should I look for? Thank you.

I have 3 CX series power supplies, and they're not bad. my CX500m is in my daily gaming rig, but that system is too much for any 500W PSU. 650 is really what you need to be in the safe zone.

Eerrrggg, apart from the subject of bottlenecking, it's not recommended because A. Wattage is legitimately cutting it close and B. The CX has poor heat tolerance.

Get something in yellow in my sig.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Eerrrggg, apart from the subject of bottlenecking, it's not recommended because A. Wattage is legitimately cutting it close and B. The CX has poor heat tolerance.

Get something in yellow in my sig.

^ The EVGA psus are cheap and reliable.

STOP! That is a satan Power supply. Go buy a Seasonic one.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I would be willing to spend around 120 EUR max, maybe. Any recommendations?

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750gts3x

This supply right here would be great for this system and it offers the reliability you will need. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Don't the XFX PSUs make a lot of noise?

I personally have never heard of this issue, maybe @STRMfrmXMN can answer that question a little better than I can. I've just never heard of this issue, but honestly I couldn't imagine it being any louder than a CX under load. I used to have a CX myself and that thing was only good for one thing. Warming my toes up when it got really cold. I'm sad now because I have an EVGA unit where the fan hardly ever spins so my toes don't get to be toasty anymore during these cold winter nights. 

alright, thank you for your help.