Replacing a motherboard and things necessary to do so

So I want to replace my motherboard, and I am just unsure if the Win7 on my hdd will work if i get a different motherboard, or if I'll have to buy a new copy of windows.  Kinda a stupid question that I don't know the answer to, but I don't want to buy a new mobo and find out I need to buy another windows key.  

you can use the same windows key to reinstall windows

which you should do, because thats the proper way

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if you change to a diffenent mobo then yes you will need a new key(unless you have a retail version of windows) but if you get the same model mobo then you should be fine.

ex. i have x99x killer mobo but change to asus delue x99 then i need a new windows key

but if i get another x99x killer board im fine.

if you have a retail key however then you can change to completely different boards without a problem as long as its installed on 1 system at a time

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

if you change to a diffenent mobo then yes you will need a new key(unless you have a retail version of windows) but if you get the same model mobo then you should be fine.

ex. i have x99x killer mobo but change to asus delue x99 then i need a new windows key

but if i get another x99x killer board im fine.

if you have a retail key however then you can change to completely different boards without a problem as long as its installed on 1 system at a time

i'm also planning a similar thing but i have a rather odd build. Im using an hp motherboard in my build (recycled from my old computer to save money) with a 970 chipset and a hardrive from the hp tower as well.  I was able to extract the product key using a notepad script if that matters. But if i upgrade my motherboard to another one with a 970 chipset, do i need a new windows license? Can i change chipsets? 

i'm also planning a similar thing but i have a rather odd build. Im using an hp motherboard in my build (recycled from my old computer to save money) with a 970 chipset and a hardrive from the hp tower as well.  I was able to extract the product key using a notepad script if that matters. But if i upgrade my motherboard to another one with a 970 chipset, do i need a new windows license? Can i change chipsets? 

well yes and no.

the first part where you recycle the old mobo and hhd you should be fine with using the same key because the board never changed. you can change to any other 970 PROCESSOR that works with your board (without switching boards) and not have any problems(because your using the same mobo) OEM M$ keys are bound to the mobo that they are installed on first.

When you change the mobo to an different one (even if its the exact same processor or chipset) your licence will deactivate. and you will need to either contact M$ and see if they will activate it (i've herd stories that sometimes they do, but also they can turn you down as well) or buy a new key (preferably retail version so you can install it to different computers if you decide to upgrade mobos or whatever in the future, as long as its on 1 pc at a time)

I personally own retail usb 3 version of windows 10 32 and 64 bit.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables