Xeon Equivalent to the 4790

Before you say the 1231v3, I know about that processor and currently it's the one I am upgrading to. But, I know it doesn't match the 4790 in single threaded performance even though it is a great value. I'm mostly a gamer, but I'm not overclocking (at least not my CPU) in my tiny case and I like the idea that Xeons are generally regarded as high end. Which processor (Xeon E3 on the LGA 1150 socket) has the absolute closest performance to a 4790/4790K? Is there anything that performs better or is the 4790K as good as it gets on the 1150 platform? Would it be better just to get a 4790 or a 4790K?

I think the E3-1241 V3 has a higher clock speed. 

I used to be quite active here.

I would say the Xeon E3 1276v3 According to PCPartPicker, it is the Xeon E3 on the LGA1150 socket with the highest clockspeed at 3.6 GHz with a turbo to 4 GHz, which exactly the same as the i7-4790.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

.2 GHz difference, be real :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

In terms of single thread performance, to my knowledge the i7 4790K is the fastest out there. (with the i7 6700K trailing slightly behind)

You're probably not going to get quite the same single thread performance from a xeon as you would from an i7 4790, but it won't be too major of a difference.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I would say the Xeon E3 1276v3

Is it any better than a 4790/4790K?

Besides ECC support, which I won't be using.

In terms of single thread performance, to my knowledge the i7 4790K is the fastest out there. (with the i7 6700K trailing slightly behind)

You're probably not going to get quite the same single thread performance from a xeon as you would from an i7 4790, but it won't be too major of a difference.

I'm mainly focused on gaming and multitasking, but at the same time I don't want a hot chip that overclocks. I like how the 1231v3 is hyperthreaded for the price of an i5, but I'm not sure if I should get anything better or not.

It has 3.6 GHz Base & 4 GHz Turbo, which is the exact same as the i7-4790. However it's stupid to get the Xeon E3 1276v3 because it's $350 on Newegg, when you can get an equally performing i7-4790 for $310.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

It's not technically better, but it has the same cores/other specs to a 4790, excluding iGPU. 

It's not technically better, but it has the same cores/other specs to a 4790, excluding iGPU. 

But doesn't the 1231v3 as well? Is the only difference clock speed?

What's so special about the Broadwell based 5775C? Is it more expensive because of the Iris Pro or whatever?

What's so special about the Broadwell based 5775C? Is it more expensive because of the Iris Pro or whatever?

That and it has a shitton more cache

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

But doesn't the 1231v3 as well? Is the only difference clock speed?

The difference is clock speed, yes. Go to ARK.intel.com for full spec sheet. 

The difference is clock speed, yes. Go to ARK.intel.com for full spec sheet. 

So it's just better to go for the 1231v3 then? Just because it's a way better value?

More cache is useful for?

A CPU cache is a cache used by the central processing unit (CPU) of a computer to reduce the average time to access data from the main memory. The cache is a smaller, faster memory which stores copies of the data from frequently used main memory locations

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

the one with the highest core clock

and a skylake xeon would definitely perform better even if its core clock is lower due to the core performance increase

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

More cache is useful for?

A CPU cache is a cache used by the central processing unit (CPU) of a computer to reduce the average time to access data from the main memory. The cache is a smaller, faster memory which stores copies of the data from frequently used main memory locations

Yeah but what kind of stuff benefits from more cache?

Well the 128MB L4 is basically reserved for the GPU.. the actual L3 cache is cut down from Haswell-DT.

So it has better GPU overhead then or what?

the one with the highest core clock

and a skylake xeon would definitely perform better even if its core clock is lower due to the core performance increase

That would require a server board (OP would want ITX knowing him, I don't think there's many of those) and an upgrade to DDR4 RAM, which I don't think OP would want.

Yeah but what kind of stuff benefits from more cache?

Basically everything

So it's just better to go for the 1231v3 then? Just because it's a way better value?

On PCPP the 1276v3 is almost as expensive as a regular 4790, so yes, the 1231v3 is a much better deal.