Seagate Unveils 10TB HDD Whopper With Helium

It's me!

So Seagate has followed HGST's lead and is adding helium into its HDDs. For me, that seems to say that HGST has been right all along, and previously Seagate was saying that helium doesnt make sense and makes the cost too high. It's always funny to see these companies do an about-face. Oh well, i still want two of them :)

It does seem somewhat odd though, that Seagate is keeping the details of the performance, etc, somewhat secret for now. Maybe it isn't quite up to par? The article is interesting in pointing out all the stuff Seagate is hiding.

Seagate announced its new Enterpriseicon1.png 3.5 Capacity 10 TB HDD, and aside from the obvious advantage of the 25 percent increase in capacity, it also comes with the addition of a helium architecture. Seagate is keeping many of the details of its latest addition secret for now; the company did not reveal the spindle speed (RPM), though one would assume it is the standard 7,200 rpm typically found in the nearline HDD space. The company also is not revealing any performance metrics or the amount of cache employed, and it is possible that the drive employs two distinct types of cache.

Enterprise-Capacity-3-5-HDD-10TB-hires1_

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/seagate-hdd-10tb-enterprise-capacity,1-3106.html

Nothing from Seagate has been up to par in a long time. Sure my WD 2 TB black is dying, but at least it's 5+ years old, and I get to do some backup. That was not possible with my Seagate 1 TB drive. I would never trust 10 TB data to Seagate.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Cool man.

Time to get HGST.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

10TB HDD when there are 10TB SSDs. Hopefully it will be A LOT cheaper though 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Yeah.. I'll just stick to SSD's.  I like the Seagtae packaging, though.  Looks very.. silver and blue.

10TB HDD when there are 10TB SSDs. Hopefully it will be A LOT cheaper though 

I can't see the HDD version of 10TB being too costly, likely $500-800 at release.  Though it might be less, Seagate's current 8TB drives are around $250.  But it does raise a lot of questions about how long large scale HDDs will be relevant.  Everyone kept saying that SSDs will not replace HDDs for a long long time, which I used to agree with.  But this idea was entirely based around HDDs being so much larger and overall cheaper.  Yet with Mushkin releasing a $500 4TB SSD, and FixStar releasing 10TB and 13TB SSDs, it looks like large scale SSDs might be arriving sooner than everyone thought.  Which I doubt will replace the HDD versions, simply due to the sheer cost difference, but the SSDs will definitely put some downward pressure on the pricing of large scale HDDs.

Nothing from Seagate has been up to par in a long time. Sure my WD 2 TB black is dying, but at least it's 5+ years old, and I get to do some backup. That was not possible with my Seagate 1 TB drive. I would never trust 10 TB data to Seagate.

Let me guess, you had a basic baracuda or something. Their enterprise drives are VERY good. Not all products from them are bad. That's like saying the AX1600i is bad because the cx500 is bad, makes no sense.

I can't see the HDD version of 10TB being too costly, likely $500-800 at release.  Though it might be less, Seagate's current 8TB drives are around $250.  But it does raise a lot of questions about how long large scale HDDs will be relevant.  Everyone kept saying that SSDs will not replace HDDs for a long long time, which I used to agree with.  But this idea was entirely based around HDDs being so much larger and overall cheaper.  Yet with Mushkin releasing a $500 4TB SSD, and FixStar releasing 10TB and 13TB SSDs, it looks like large scale SSDs might be arriving sooner than everyone thought.  Which I doubt will replace the HDD versions, simply due to the sheer cost difference, but the SSDs will definitely put some downward pressure on the pricing of large scale HDDs.

The problem with HDDs is that we didn't see that substantial growth in size through out the years, while SSDs get double the capacity every year. I remember people paying 400 USD for 160Gb ssd 5 years ago. Now you can get 4TB for 500. Next year that 4TB will cost 250

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Let me guess, you had a basic baracuda or something. Their enterprise drives are VERY good. Not all products from them are bad. That's like saying the AX1600i is bad because the cx500 is bad, makes no sense.

It was the infamous 7200.11 drive. Why would I buy an enterprise drive as a consumer? They are way too expensive. Then again this was back when 1tb drives was completely new.

Seagate are still generally bad.

Would love to get a wd black again, but the 2tb drive has hardly lowered in price in 5 years. Mechanical drives cannot die fast enough.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Would be nice to have 10TB HDD for mass storage. Would like to see performance. Just imagine it with 20K RPM xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It was the infamous 7200.11 drive. Why would I buy an enterprise drive as a consumer? They are way too expensive. Then again this was back when 1tb drives was completely new.

Would love to get a wd black again, but the 2tb drive has hardly lowered in price in 5 years. Mechanical drives cannot die fast enough.

Compare a modern day Barracuda with a modern blue and that would be fair. Comparing a black, high end wd to a normal seagate is stupid. You said that 'Nothing from Seagate has been up to par in a long time'. This is flat out WRONG. The enterprise drives and 99% of their other drives are fine.

Seagate are still generally considered bad, but only because people keep saying they are bad without checking facts first.

Last year Seagate had the lowest failure rates of any HDD manufacturer. These are the % of drives RMA'd within a year after purchase:

Seagate - 0.68%

Western Digital - 1.09%

HGST - 1.16%

Toshiba - 1.34%

The top most unreliable hard drives, and their RMA rates were:

WD Red WD60EFRX - 4,58%

Toshiba 3 To DT01ACA300 - 3,40%

WD Green 4 To WD40EZRX - 2,93%

WD SE 3 To WD3000F9YZ - 2,78%

Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 - 2,14%

The problem with HDDs is that we didn't see that substantial growth in size through out the years, while SSDs get double the capacity every year. I remember people paying 400 USD for 160Gb ssd 5 years ago. Now you can get 4TB for 500. Next year that 4TB will cost 250

I agree about the prices and lack of growth in HDD sizes.  The other major issue I see is that HDDs are slow, even for sequential transfers.  HDD top speeds are around 200MB/s for sustained transfer, where SSDs are currently easily able to maintain 550MB/s for sequential transfers.  This means a 10TB HDD will take nearly 3 times as long to fill compared to an equal sized SSD.

-snip-  

What do you think you are doing?  Using real facts?  You are supposed to just hate Seagate, because you read all those backblaze reports about how Seagate are the worst drives since ever, they should be called the Hitler drives!!!

On a serious note, I have like 30 Seagate drives, and have only lost 1, and that was my fault (don't ever touch live PSU 4 pin molex wires to an HDD).  But I have lost most of my WD drives, like 4 of the 6 I've owned, and a few Toshiba's.   But people just love to hate on Seagate.

Seagate are still generally considered bad, but only because people keep saying they are bad without checking facts first.

Last year Seagate had the lowest failure rates of any HDD manufacturer. These are the % of drives RMA'd within a year after purchase:

Seagate - 0.68%

Western Digital - 1.09%

HGST - 1.16%

Toshiba - 1.34%

The top most unreliable hard drives, and their RMA rates were:

WD Red WD60EFRX - 4,58%

Toshiba 3 To DT01ACA300 - 3,40%

WD Green 4 To WD40EZRX - 2,93%

WD SE 3 To WD3000F9YZ - 2,78%

Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 - 2,14%

No they are considered bad because they have released several models with an insanely high failure rate. The 7200.11 being the worst (the one I had), but the 14 model apparently sucked donkey too.

I don't know why people are so much against the backblaze numbers. They are some of the most reliable as they are all tested similarly in very large numbers.

Apparently 4tb drives looks to be a lot more reliable than 3tb drives.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

Inb4 Seagate ha... Oh. That was quick.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

No they are considered bad because they have released several models with an insanely high failure rate. The 7200.11 being the worst (the one I had), but the 14 model apparently sucked donkey too.

I don't know why people are so much against the backblaze numbers. They are some of the most reliable as they are all tested similarly in very large numbers.

Apparently 4tb drives looks to be a lot more reliable than 3tb drives.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

Seagate failed with 1.5TB and 3TB and then they got hammered by people like you. "Oh no this one product I had was bad, whole company is bad"

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Seagate failed with 1.5TB and 3TB and then they got hammered by people like you. "Oh no this one product I had was bad, whole company is bad"

It was an entire product line. Mine was the 1tb, not the 1.5tb (which also sucked).

It's like the entire maxwell geforce line of nvidia, crapping out. No one would accept that. This is even people's data dying with it. Seagate done goofed, and did it repeatedly.

It was an entire product line. Mine was the 1tb, not the 1.5tb (which also sucked).

It's like the entire maxwell geforce line of nvidia, crapping out. No one would accept that. This is even people's data dying with it. Seagate done goofed, and did it repeatedly.

Except it wasn't as bad as you are picturing it. I can bet there still are people today who run that infamous 7200.11 and don't even know what's wrong with it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Except it wasn't as bad as you are picturing it. I can bet there still are people today who run that infamous 7200.11 and don't even know what's wrong with it.

I very much doubt it considering it was a firmware error bricking the drives. With a new firmware update, maybe.

But seagate still has issues. Look at these graphs:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

I very much doubt it considering it was a firmware error bricking the drives. With a new firmware update, maybe.

But seagate still has issues. Look at these graphs:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

backblaze is bad comedy

also what do you mean still, this is first gen 3tb barracuda, the exact drive that HAD issues. 

Spoiler

backblaze is bad comedy

also what do you mean still, this is first gen 3tb barracuda, the exact drive that HAD issues.

They use all drives similarly unlike rma figures, making them even more representative. The number of drives are also more than representative (with the exception of the low number drives they themselves claim to not be representative).

It's the second product line crapping out with extremely high failure rates. No other hdd company has such high failure rates on anything.

They use all drives similarly unlike rma figures, making them even more representative. The number of drives are also more than representative (with the exception of the low number drives they themselves claim to not be representative).

It's the second product line crapping out with extremely high failure rates. No other hdd company has such high failure rates on anything.

Yes, they use consumer drives in servers and report high failure rates. 

Spoiler

Yes, they use consumer drives in servers and report high failure rates.

Indeed yet only the seagate consumer drives crap out massively.

Like I said though, the failure rates on the 7200.11 drives are similar to the rma numbers. Go ahead and Google seagate 7200.11.