Best CPU for the future.

Hello, pretty new member on the forums but have been a tech tips sub for a while now but I have a question for a new build. I haven't built my own PC in almost 5 years. My previous build included an i7-2600k Paired with an EVGA GTX 560ti SSC. I had built this system in mid 2011.

What I'm looking to do now is build a good rig that will last me a few years. At the moment I'm not too big into AAA titles, mostly into League of Legends, Hearthstone and light content creation. I've got three prospective builds I'm looking into. One that is around $500 and the other two around $1000.

The first build includes an A10-7870K which I will be moderately overclocking a bit without a discrete GPU. Down the road I will include a dedicated GPU but using the onboard graphics of the APU will suit me for the time being. I am on a slight budget after all.

The second build includes an FX-8350 paired with a Sapphire R9 380X, I will be moderately overclocking both.

The third build will include an i5-6500 paired with a Sapphire R9 380X, no Overclocking.

What I'm asking is. Which of these CPU/GPU arrangements will suit me for the forseeable future? Should I wait for the AMD Zen Processors hitting the market late this year?

i5, you will have a good upgrade path for a long time

and nobody knows how good zen will even be

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

snip

Its hard to say.

But the simplest solution if you are concerned about budget would probably to go with an older i5 haswell/refresh, namely the 4440/4460. DDR4 and more PCIe lanes wont be usefull for a while still. AMD Zen is coming out soon. so might not be a good idea to go with a curren gen fm3+ or apu.

That 8350 once overclock will help indeed help in certain apps. but i would need more info as to your workflow first.

APUs work great for light games, shame they dont scale well at all with dedicated gpu.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Haswell-vs-Skylake-S-i7-4790K-vs-i7-6700K-641/#Conclusion

ps. follow the threads that you make :)

keep the cpu and get yourself a nice new power supply and better gpu, thrown in an ssd if you haven't already

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Hello, pretty new member on the forums but have been a tech tips sub for a while now but I have a question for a new build. I haven't built my own PC in almost 5 years. My previous build included an i7-2600k Paired with an EVGA GTX 560ti SSC. I had built this system in mid 2011.

What I'm looking to do now is build a good rig that will last me a few years. At the moment I'm not too big into AAA titles, mostly into League of Legends, Hearthstone and light content creation. I've got three prospective builds I'm looking into. One that is around $500 and the other two around $1000.

The first build includes an A10-7870K which I will be moderately overclocking a bit without a discrete GPU. Down the road I will include a dedicated GPU but using the onboard graphics of the APU will suit me for the time being. I am on a slight budget after all.

The second build includes an FX-8350 paired with a Sapphire R9 380X, I will be moderately overclocking both.

The third build will include an i5-6500 paired with a Sapphire R9 380X, no Overclocking.

What I'm asking is. Which of these CPU/GPU arrangements will suit me for the forseeable future? Should I wait for the AMD Zen Processors hitting the market late this year?

i5 6500 with Z170 board for "future" in mind

i5, you will have a good upgrade path for a long time

and nobody knows how good zen will even be

nobody knows, but it will still not beat Skylake.

Haswell isnt unlikely, but Skylake, that is just pure madness to overcome the 80% faster cores in Skylake vs Piledriver in ONE generation.

I recommend waiting for Zen. Do you NEED more power than you have? the 2600k is still quiet a sufficient CPU for almost everything you could be doing today. And even if you don't wait for Zen in particular this CPU will serve you greatly anyway.

I recently read an actricle about comparing CPU architectures. The result was that you should still be fine with a 2600k which is other than power draw not much worse than todays CPUs. Do you want me to go in detail?

EDIT: A good question to ask is:

• What do you WANT?
  • And what do you acctually NEED?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Why replace your current cpu? Just get a new case powersupply and gpu. Your current cpu is better then the first two options already. So eoither keep it or go with the i5 6500 option.

Looking to mostly Stream and render some stream clips to youtube is what I'll usually be doing.

The 2600k isn't working at the moment, believe it finally died a few months back. Been saving up for a new solution.

The 2600k isn't working at the moment, believe it finally died a few months back. Been saving up for a new solution.

Well that clears up some confusion. Shoudl have mentioned that in the first place lol

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Well that clears up some confusion. Shoudl have mentioned that in the first place lol

My mistake. Was just referencing it. 

So as of right now the i5 Skylake build should is most likely the most viable route to take? That is what I was learning towards the most from the start. Wasn't sure if the APU or FX 8350 was even a viable alternative.

FX 8350 - 125W TDP

A10-7870K - 95W TDP

i5-6500 - 65W TDP