What problems do Win 10 users have with Fallout 3?

LokiFire

Mine runs fine... why is FO3 known as being a POS on Win 10?

What exactly happens? it don't launch?

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Just the usual Bethesda game stuff, though I havent heard of any Issues directly related to Windows 10.

To my knowledge it had an issue with Windows 8/.1 that I would assume is still present with W10, but the fix for that was as simple as disabling Games for Windows Live or something.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

To my knowledge it had an issue with Windows 8/.1 that I would assume is still present with W10, but the fix for that was as simple as disabling Games for Windows Live or something.

GFWL even works, i have it working with FO3 and GTA IV.

Fallout 3 is just an instable game by itself, it doesn't matter what OS you try and play it on, it will potentially have issues with every OS out there.

I know it says "Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7 and later.", but I even went back to Windows Vista I still had issues with the game that needed 3rd party tools or modding to fix. I have had issues with it on Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1. I haven't tested it with Windows 10 since W10 didn't last long on my machine before I switched back to 8.1.

Issues can be anything from refusing to even launch to crashing anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple hour intervals. I have had situations where on the exact same OS with the same hardware, Fallout 3 just refused to work, but I reinstall the same OS(and drivers mind you) I had on it before and I could play Fallout 3 for hours without any problems. So something software wise was messing with it or Fallout 3 didn't like something.

I have written some pretty lengthy "fix" posts in the past, here's one if you're interested in seeing what I suggest to people that have issues: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299311-fallout-3-fix/?p=4072115

You can also look on the PCGamingWiki page for Fallout 3: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_3

Go to the "Issues Fixed" section and just see all the fixes for them and check out all the other "Essential Improvements" to help run the game better.

So, if the game works for you, then great! But don't expect it to work the next time you install it or change something with your hardware. It's the most crash happy game I've ever encountered, but I love it so very much. I ended up only playing it via the TaleofTwoWastelands mod, the mod essentially "ports" Fallout 3 over to the more stable Fallout New Vegas engine and then "links" the two worlds together. This makes Fallout 3 much more stable AND you can bring your character over from Fallout 3 to New Vegas(or even vice-versa if you start in Vegas instead). It's just a simple train ride from one world to the next.

Fallout 3 is just an instable game by itself, it doesn't matter what OS you try and play it on, it will potentially have issues with every OS out there.

I know it says "Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7 and later.", but I even went back to Windows Vista I still had issues with the game that needed 3rd party tools or modding to fix. I have had issues with it on Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1. I haven't tested it with Windows 10 since W10 didn't last long on my machine before I switched back to 8.1.

Issues can be anything from refusing to even launch to crashing anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple hour intervals. I have had situations where on the exact same OS with the same hardware, Fallout 3 just refused to work, but I reinstall the same OS(and drivers mind you) I had on it before and I could play Fallout 3 for hours without any problems. So something software wise was messing with it or Fallout 3 didn't like something.

I have written some pretty lengthy "fix" posts in the past, here's one if you're interested in seeing what I suggest to people that have issues: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299311-fallout-3-fix/?p=4072115

You can also look on the PCGamingWiki page for Fallout 3: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_3

Go to the "Issues Fixed" section and just see all the fixes for them and check out all the other "Essential Improvements" to help run the game better.

So, if the game works for you, then great! But don't expect it to work the next time you install it or change something with your hardware. It's the most crash happy game I've ever encountered, but I love it so very much. I ended up only playing it via the TaleofTwoWastelands mod, the mod essentially "ports" Fallout 3 over to the more stable Fallout New Vegas engine and then "links" the two worlds together. This makes Fallout 3 much more stable AND you can bring your character over from Fallout 3 to New Vegas(or even vice-versa if you start in Vegas instead). It's just a simple train ride from one world to the next.

Oh i had it crash once, i had BF3 freeze my entire PC, i bumped my GPU volts up a notch and it went away on both games.

Oh i had it crash once, i had BF3 freeze my entire PC, i bumped my GPU volts up a notch and it went away on both games.

Yeah I'd say you got pretty lucky with it working without any major issues. I've probably spent 3-4 hours once trying to diagnose issues with Fallout 3, doing everything from editing ini files, installing mods, getting rid of GFWL, redownloading it, etc. The main issue that has always been causing me problems with the game is that it doesn't allocate CPU and memory counts correctly, so it ends up filling up it's small designation of space in memory and then crashes. Usually doing LargeAddressAware, Unofficial patch, FOSE, and Stutter Remover fixes my issues I had in the past(IIRC).

It's a good game overall, I just wish Bethesda would give it one final patch to make it scalable correctly.

I have no problem with it on Win 10.  I played it again up to the release of FO4 and had no problems at all.