Question about AMD R9 Fury X water cooling and placement of the reservoir

Hi guys, so here are my question about r9 fury x cooling:

- Is the reservoir act as an air exhaust or air intake?

- where is the good placement of the reservoir? (My pc case that I will include put this gpu in is Define R5) My cpu use aftermarket air cooling ( cooler master 212 evo) so let me the place that will be good for both my cpu and gpu.

- Does water cooling require me to refill or change my water every months or years?

Thank you for helping me out. 

Edited by Mrtrickzter

Is there a reason you are buying a Fury X?

You can put the fan either side I'm pretty sure.

Front of the case would be great or back of the case.

I don't think it does, definitely not in months, maybe in a couple of years.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Radiator is exhaust only, the fan cannot be switched due to the build of the fan shroud and the placement of the water cooling tubes.

Cooling loop is closed, no maintenance is possible.

Edit - The Fury X manual apparently states that the radiator must be installed above the graphics card, with the cooling tubes exiting from the bottom of the radiator, in a vertical position. This is apparently done to keep the air in the radiator and not the waterblock. 

The only place I can think the radiator could be installed in is the rear exhaust.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

^^ so much this

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'd avoid the fury X, I think you should either buy a fury or a 980ti.

That said, the radiator is an exhaust and you can't service it in any way.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Edit - The Fury X manual apparently states that the radiator must be installed above the graphics card, with the cooling tubes exiting from the bottom of the radiator, in a vertical position. This is apparently done to keep the air in the radiator and not the waterblock...

...and to make sure that the radiator spill itself onto the graphics card when it'll die so that you have to buy a new card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

^^ so much this

Someone doesn't overclock? Someone wants a GPU as silent as possible (you can just throw a noctua fan on the rad)? Someone wants a small GPU, someone just likes AMD, someone doesn't want his GPU to lose driver support too fast, within that budget not everyone wants every single frame per second he can get :P There are other things to take into consideration

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Someone doesn't overclock? Someone wants a GPU as silent as possible (you can just throw a noctua fan on the rad)? Someone wants a small GPU, someone just likes AMD, someone doesn't want his GPU to lose driver support too fast, within that budget not everyone wants every single frame per second he can get :P There are other things to take into consideration

but then, the 980ti cost the same, has 2 extra GB of memory, is a good 12 to 15% faster, is more energy efficient and support a ton of cool nvidia tech and features and has better drivers and much wider game support...only thing it does not have is smaller size...and about the cheap ass 30$ asetek liquid cooler or cooler master or whatever with the cheap ass pump that has horrible coil whine and will likely break within the first year of use?! what about THAT?! silence? yeah silence my ass...a good quality air cooled MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti or an EVGA ACX or some other shit is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above that...

Somehow when it's time to compare the 970 to the 390 ''HOOO GOSH the 390 is MUCH better it push 3 more FPS in some games and it has MORE MEMORy and this is important therefore AMD is better...now what?! these go out the window when it's AMD that has less video memory and less performance?! come on...

when for the same price or LESS you can have a FASTER card, with MORE MEMORY that is NOT AMD...the choice is OBVIOUS.

And about driver support, LISTEN TO THIS VIDEO FROM BEGINNING TO END IT'S 6 MINUTES LONG:

Meanwhile AMD announced a couple months ago that they completely drop driver support for ANY GPU from the HD6XXX series and prior...and those GPU's came out AFTER the GTX 480 which as you can see STILL has driver support UP TO THIS DATE.

What ABOUT THAT?!?!?!

but then, the 980ti cost the same, has 2 extra GB of memory, is a good 12 to 15% faster, is more energy efficient and support a ton of cool nvidia tech and features and has better drivers and much wider game support...only thing it does not have is smaller size...and about the cheap ass 30$ asetek liquid cooler or cooler master or whatever with the cheap ass pump that has horrible coil whine and will likely break within the first year of use?! what about THAT?! silence? yeah silence my ass...a good quality air cooled MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti or an EVGA ACX or some other shit is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above that...

Somehow when it's time to compare the 970 to the 390 ''HOOO GOSH the 390 is MUCH better it push 3 more FPS in some games and it has MORE MEMORy and this is important therefore AMD is better...now what?! these go out the window when it's AMD that has less video memory and less performance?! come on...

when for the same price or LESS you can have a FASTER card, with MORE MEMORY that is NOT AMD...the choice is OBVIOUS.

fanboyism in you annoy me big time, i have no problem recommending a 390 over a 970...but a FuryX over a 980ti...come on!!  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please stop blowing stuff out of proportion, for the 980Ti to be faster you have to overclock it, the argument that it has more memory is irrelevant because of HBM's bandwidth, the Fury X draws around 60W more and less when the 980Ti is overclocked, the coil whine problem has been massively blown out of proportion and better drivers is debatable. The Fury X will also continue to be optimized for in the future will the 980Ti will be forgotten.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

fanboyism in you annoy me big time, i have no problem recommending a 390 over a 970...but a FuryX over a 980ti...come on!!

True but also, such as I got a 290x reference for half the price of a 780 or a 290x with after market cooling (was slightly less than a 770 even) so bought that slapped on a h75  and 290x performance with no drawbacks while still being cheaper than the cheapest 780.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

fanboyism in you annoy me big time, i have no problem recommending a 390 over a 970...but a FuryX over a 980ti...come on!! ...you're pushing it wayyyyy tooooooo farrrrrrrrr.

And about driver support, LISTEN TO THIS VIDEO FROM BEGINNING TO END IT'S 6 MINUTES LONG:

Meanwhile AMD announced a couple months ago that they completely drop driver support for ANY GPU from the HD6XXX series and prior...and those GPU's came out 2 years AFTER the GTX 480 which as you can see STILL has driver support UP TO THIS DATE.

What ABOUT THAT?!?!?!

The Fury X is just as efficient as a 980 TI and has great, stable drivers as of Crimson. OP is asking about the Fury X, not the 980 Ti and already got his answers, there's no reason to turn another topic into a flame war.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

snip

All points I wanted to give were already stated above, power consumption difference is negligible and the 980Ti might draw more after you OC it.

The memory argument is also invalid cause it's not 4GB GDDR5, it's HBM and it's proven to perform at least  equal to a 980Ti with 6GB GDDR5... Actually, in 4K Fury X seems to perform even better/equal to a 980Ti (from what I've seen)

I'm pretty sure that if you slapped a high-quality Noctua fan on the rad no 980Ti would be more silent. I still recommend getting 980Ti's to people, that doesn't mean that there's no reason to get a Fury X as you stated

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

All points I wanted to give were already stated above, power consumption difference is negligible and the 980Ti might draw more after you OC it.

The memory argument is also invalid cause it's not 4GB GDDR5, it's HBM and it's proven to perform at least  equal to a 980Ti with 6GB GDDR5... Actually, in 4K Fury X seems to perform even better than a 980Ti or at least equal (at least from what I've seen)

I'm pretty sure that if you slapped a high-quality Noctua fan on the rad no 980Ti would be more silent. I still recommend getting 980Ti's to people, that doesn't mean that there's no reason to get a Fury X as you stated

it's still only 4GB of video memory...no matter how fast it is if you run a game that require more than 4GB of video memory for ultra texture settings you WILL encounter stuttering, that's a given...HBM or not. When the GPU has to flip textures in and out the framebuffer it will impact your performance no matter how fast it's happening...and it can't be that fast since that data must be pulled from your system memory which only goes so fast.

And even with a noctua fan you still has that cheap noisy coil whiny pump to deal with, a pump i would personaly consider far from reliable in the long run BTW...this is a cheap ass low cost cooling solution and nothing else.

it's still only 4GB of video memory...no matter how fast it is if you run a game that require more than 4GB of video memory for ultra texture settings you WILL encounter stuttering, that's a given...HBM or not. When the GPU has to flip textures in and out the framebuffer it will impact your performance no matter how fast it's happening.

And even with a noctua fan you still has that cheap noisy coil whiny pump to deal with, a pump i would personaly consider far from reliable in the long run BTW...this is a cheap ass low cost cooling solution and nothing else.

But how do you know the thing with the pump? Maybe some users had faulty pumps, that proves nothing, AMD doesn't manufacture them. R9 295x2 pumps still are working fine for example... I don't think HBM works as bad as you make it, here's a reason: if it was that bad for 4K, AMD would just throw in 8GB of GDDR5 just like they did with 2x cheaper 390's. They have engineers that know their shit and it would be simply stupid to include worse RAM in a twice as expensive GPU that's MEANT for 4K...

You can put the fan either side I'm pretty sure.

Front of the case would be great or back of the case.

I don't think it does, definitely not in months, maybe in a couple of years.

this may surprise you but i want to build a pc with price of $1500. I first plan to get gtx 980 but I found out that getting fury X does not break my budget. Getting 980 ti will break my budget.

Radiator is exhaust only, the fan cannot be switched due to the build of the fan shroud and the placement of the water cooling tubes.

Cooling loop is closed, no maintenance is possible.

Edit - The Fury X manual apparently states that the radiator must be installed above the graphics card, with the cooling tubes exiting from the bottom of the radiator, in a vertical position. This is apparently done to keep the air in the radiator and not the waterblock.

The only place I can think the radiator could be installed in is the rear exhaust.

That's what I thought too. Put the reservoir at the back and put my exhaust fan to the bottom instead.

I'd avoid the fury X, I think you should either buy a fury or a 980ti.

That said, the radiator is an exhaust and you can't service it in any way.

I understand your point but getting 980 ti end up break my $1500 budget build.

then a fury, it's better bang for buck than the fury x

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

this may surprise you but i want to build a pc with price of $1500. I first plan to get gtx 980 but I found out that getting fury X does not break my budget. Getting 980 ti will break my budget.

980ti is the same price wth

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Not really. Fury X is 50$ cheaper

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Spoiler

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

you can compare this my friend.  Don't get me wrong though, if I had a higher budget I would have chose 980 ti

(980 ti)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($106.23 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($47.80 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($690.61 @ B&H) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($95.61 @ NCIX US) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($31.75 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($15.92 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1598.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 16:25 EST-0500

(R9 Fury X)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($106.23 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card  ($647.05 @ SuperBiiz) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($31.75 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1554.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 16:27 EST-0500
Edited by Mrtrickzter

you can compare this my friend.  Don't get me wrong though, if I had a higher budget I would have chose 980 ti

(980 ti)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($690.61 @ B&H) 
Total: $1598.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 16:25 EST-0500

(R9 Fury X)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card  ($647.05 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1554.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 16:27 EST-0500

so, what's the reasoning behind buying an overpriced 980ti?

Spoiler

Erm, the world isn't the US?

op is

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($253.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)

Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Omega Edition Video Card ($629.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.88 @ Mac Mall)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)

Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)

Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1469.34

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 17:25 EST-0500

otherwise if you really prefer AMD why not save the money and get a air cooled Fury...it perform close enough to the FuryX and it does not come with the cheap watercooling unit.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($253.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)

Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Omega Edition Video Card ($629.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.88 @ Mac Mall)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)

Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)

Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1469.34

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-06 17:25 EST-0500

otherwise if you really prefer AMD why not save the money and get a air cooled Fury...it perform close enough to the FuryX and it does not come with the cheap watercooling unit.

solid choice. Maybe just change the zotac to gigabyte g1 gtx 980 ti