Best Z97 Motherboard for overclocking a G3258 under $135

Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski0,

I was planning on buying the motherboard now that I have the money and getting a 4690k in the future when I can afford it   @SteveGrabowski0 @Clear17Mud  

That Gigabyte Gaming 5 you posted above looks pretty nice then if you're not willing to go up to $150 for the Asus Z97-A. That Gigabyte HD3 looks pretty lame on the power delivery and you get no SLI nor M.2, plus I love the side facing SATA ports like the Gaming 5 has for cable management.

So when i built my pc, i skimped out on my motherboard and it turns out that it sucks for overclocking (shoulda done my research). But now I am looking for a good Z97 motherboard that will allow me to overclock my G3258. I was looking at this board http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKCHEQ2?redirect=true&ref_=s9_wsim_gw_p147_d17_i4 but i am wondering if i should get this or something cheaper or spend a little more money if I should. I also was looking at this motherboard http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2RQDOI?redirect=true&ref_=s9_wsim_gw_p147_d17_i5 , just because it is cheaper and I would like to spend a little less money. Open to suggestions, thanks in advance! 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.3GHZ COOLER: Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2  MOBO: Asus Z97-E RAM: Kingston Hyper X Black 2x4GB GPU: Soon to be EVGA 1070! Case: Fractal Define S Storage:PNY 240GB SSD, 500GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair RM650x

So when i built my pc, i skimped out on my motherboard and it turns out that it sucks for overclocking (shoulda done my research). But now I am looking for a good Z97 motherboard that will allow me to overclock my G3258. I was looking at this board http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKCHEQ2?redirect=true&ref_=s9_wsim_gw_p147_d17_i4 but i am wondering if i should get this or something cheaper or spend a little more money if I should. I also was looking at this motherboard http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2RQDOI?redirect=true&ref_=s9_wsim_gw_p147_d17_i5 , just because it is cheaper and I would like to spend a little less money. Open to suggestions, thanks in advance! 

PC part picker will be your friend if you use it! It helps me find the cheapest price and has pictures(most of the time...)

also whats you cpu cooling like? what do you have.

Z97 Extreme 3 if you have to get a new board.

going with a i5 would be much wiser however. 

If you're looking to spend $135 on a board, you should really consider saving up another $40 to get an i5 4460 instead. The performance increase would be much more than the OC you'd get on the G3258. 

This times 1000. A heavily overclocked G3258 can't even begin to touch a desktop Haswell i5.

PC part picker will be your friend if you use it! It helps me find the cheapest price and has pictures(most of the time...)

also whats you cpu cooling like? what do you have.

http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-Pro-Rev-Multicompatible/dp/B002G392ZI

Edit: I have to buy on Amazon

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.3GHZ COOLER: Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2  MOBO: Asus Z97-E RAM: Kingston Hyper X Black 2x4GB GPU: Soon to be EVGA 1070! Case: Fractal Define S Storage:PNY 240GB SSD, 500GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair RM650x

Z97 Extreme 3 if you have to get a new board.

going with a i5 would be much wiser however. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97extreme3 beat me to it... I'd say get an i5 also, but not a locked version, but wait for a good deal on one. But also a i5 and a 960 is kinda unbalanced, so do what you want its your money

Also, why do you think the motherboard (and not the cpu) is limiting your overclock? It's fairly common to get strong overclocks of the G3258 on very cheap H81 boards (I got 4.4 GHz stable on mine with a cheap 3+1 phase Gigabyte H81 board). Going from an overclocked G3258 to a Xeon E3-1231v3 on that cheap H81 board was a night and day difference in gaming performance, even when turning HT off to essentially make the Xeon an i5-4590.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97extreme3 beat me to it... I'd say get an i5 also, but not a locked version, but wait for a good deal on one. But also a i5 and a 960 is kinda unbalanced, so do what you want its your money

I think an i5 and a 960 seems decently balanced. Now a G3258 and a 960 is horribly unbalanced, 750 Ti is about the highest it makes sense to go with a G3258.

Also, why do you think the motherboard (and not the cpu) is limiting your overclock? It's fairly common to get strong overclocks of the G3258 on very cheap H81 boards (I got 4.4 GHz stable on mine with a cheap 3+1 phase Gigabyte H81 board). Going from an overclocked G3258 to a Xeon E3-1231v3 on that cheap H81 board was a night and day difference in gaming performance, even when turning HT off to essentially make the Xeon an i5-4590.

the board he has is 2+1...

Wow, I never knew there was such a thing.

yeah I looked it up MSI H81M-E34 (straight from his sig)

I was planning on buying the motherboard now that I have the money and getting a 4690k in the future when I can afford it   @SteveGrabowski0 @Clear17Mud  

I think an i5 and a 960 seems decently balanced. Now a G3258 and a 960 is horribly unbalanced, 750 Ti is about the highest it makes sense to go with a G3258.

I think a i3 and a r9 380x, or a g3258 and a r9 380(lol basically what he has what he has) seems more balanced. an i5 should be with a r9 290 and higher in my mind.

that's what I did, but to an i7 because I found one for cheap... 

Would you guys recommend buying this motherboard now that you know i will be upgrading in the future?  @SteveGrabowski0 @Clear17Mud   or is there a smarter purchase that i can make for my rig?

That Gigabyte Gaming 5 you posted above looks pretty nice then if you're not willing to go up to $150 for the Asus Z97-A. That Gigabyte HD3 looks pretty lame on the power delivery and you get no SLI nor M.2, plus I love the side facing SATA ports like the Gaming 5 has for cable management.

Would you guys recommend buying this motherboard now that you know i will be upgrading in the future?  @SteveGrabowski0 @Clear17Mud   or is there a smarter purchase that i can make for my rig?

well do you need more overclocking headroom? or is the performance your getting acceptable for what you want?

well do you need more overclocking headroom? or is the performance your getting acceptable for what you want?

yah, i feel that i could achieve higher overclocks with the new motherboard. 

Thanks, i think I will be picking this up pretty soon

Thanks, i think I will be picking this up pretty soon

I think that's the board Carey Holzman uses in all his Haswell builds, if you're ever interested.

I think that's the board Carey Holzman uses in all his Haswell builds, if you're ever interested.

Thanks