Nikon announces D5 - new Full Frame flagship camera

Nikon announced their new camera, the D5. It's been 3 years since D4 released.

Nikon says, they built for Speed and Accuracy.

It has freaking 153 AF point system with 99 are cross type! <3

Nikon says this is its first DSLR with a dedicated AF processor. 

There is a full frame 20.8 mega pixel sensor inside with it's new EXPEED 5 image processor.

d5-35-1-4-front-1.jpg

[spoiler=Product Images]

d5-35-1-4-front34l-1.jpg

d5-35-1-4-front34r-1.jpg

d5-35-1-4-left-1.jpg

d5-35-1-4-right-1.jpg

d5-35-1-4-top-1.jpg

d5-skelton-image-1.jpg

Here are the D5's key specs so far:
  • 153 autofocus points with 55 selectable, 99-point cross sensor
  • 20.8-megapixel FX-format (full frame)
  • Expeed 5 image processor from ISO 100 to 102,400
  • Sensitivity range extendable to ISO 50 to ISO3280000
  • 4K video capture @ 30fps as well as in-camera 4K time-lapse video

Looks-wise, the D5 is similar to its predecessor -- in other words, it's massive and should be familiar to anyone who owns or has used a D4 in the past. The new DSLR, which Nikon notes is the most powerful camera in its history, also sports a 3.2-inch, 2.36 million-dot LCD touchscreen and USB 3.0. There will actually be 2 different versions of the D5 for the same price: a dual XQD card slot version and a dual CF card slot one.

Source: engadget, Nikon.

Pricing & Availability: The D5 will be released in March for $6,500 USD, body-only.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

pls, spoilers 

done.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

How many of those focus points are cross type. Also have they released info aside from the MP count and focus point count? On a flagship body there are some more important factors to keep on top of.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Well they seemed to have finally announced a D300s successor too, the D500.  The D5 replaces the D4s, and might come in two versions.  One that supports CF cards and another that supports dual XQD cards only.

Wonder if it will be worth it to upgrade my D4 and D800E to the D5 and D810...

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

How many of those focus points are cross type. Also have they released info aside from the MP count and focus point count? On a flagship body there are some more important factors to keep on top of.

99 are cross-type.

Wait, am I reading that right?

ISO boost to 3.2mil? WTF......

I know Sony's new A7 2s are changing the game with ISO performance....but 3 mil....

If you wanna see tech specs, Check here http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d5.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

snip

5 stops above native max... If Nikon doesn't change the type of battery used I may be tempted to upgrade.  Pro body batteries are expensive and I've invested in quite a few.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

5 stops above native max... If Nikon doesn't change the type of battery used I may be tempted to upgrade.  Pro body batteries are expensive and I've invested in quite a few.

I am super excited to see ISO performance on this camera. Nikon tends to not make highest stops absolutely cancerous to look at so I am hoping to see how well it performs at 102400 and 409600. If they can keep the noise down in that range I might be looking at a new astrocam.

I hope videographers are ready to be disappointed about the 4k video. 3 min internal recording time according to the full spec sheet on Nikon USA website.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Now to sit and wait to see what Canon churns out to compete.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

tumblr_n2r6prAahU1sv9dq6o1_500.gif

Want intensifies.

Actually, I'll do what I always do and pick up a bargain D4 used now that the D5 is out :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

THAT IS A GREEN PAC-MAN LOGO!!!

lol

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Wait, am I reading that right?

ISO boost to 3.2mil? WTF......

I know Sony's new A7 2s are changing the game with ISO performance....but 3 mil....

To be honest I'm not sure that number will pan out in reality, given its a boosted setting and the native performance is what really shows the sensor capability. That also being said, Sony is the one giving Nikon sensors. I wouldn't be shocked if there are stipulations that prevent the 'untapped' performance of the sensors, both in light sensitivity and in 4K video performance.

No reason why Sony would be selling off and letting someone else use the better stuff especially when their A7 line has taken the industry by storm over the last couple of years. 

Hot damn

In Canadian thats a little under 10 grand...I really wanted to move up from my D800e but I think I'll look at used versions and save myself a load. Our dollar has made tech purchases a pain lately. 

Not sure what to think of this...

I will reserve judgement until I see tests and results :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not sure what to think of this...

I will reserve judgement until I see tests and results :D

I feel like the D500 was a bigger surprise.

Hmm Interesting, canon really has to step up their game it seems or I might switch after all alongside with a few adapters for my glass.

Nikon is getting more and more interesting.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I feel like the D500 was a bigger surprise.

Agreed. 

Both look great, and will hopefully help push forward the DSLR market with useful features in addition to better pure performance. I'm hoping for my brother's sake that this pushes down the prices of some other cameras, such as the D600 and even the 7200 - he's trying to upgrade. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Gotta love how it can only shoot 4K video for 3 minutes at a time...