Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
14 hours ago, DailyProcrastinator said:

Congrats! KBDfans is pretty good about shipping so you should have it in 2-3weeks unless holiday shopping overwhelms the delivery system (it will).

Just so you are aware/prepared you will have to pay duties, and very likely fill out this form:

Hide contents

Example from an order I had a few months ago. You will need to print and sign the form as well. Recent customs officer would not accept the form without a hand draw signature. 

The customs officer will also ask for a copy of the order (KBDfans order screenshot), and the proof of payment screenshot (I use Paypal). Sometimes they can be extra picky so best to just fill out the form will full detail and send it anyway so everything is crystal clear.

I've attached the template for this form:

PROFORMA INVOICE - TEMPLATE.docx 14.27 kB · 0 downloads

Ok, thanks for the heads up! 👍

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

57 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Anybody a part number for through hole LEDs warm white (approx. 4000k) for cherry mx?

3mm flangeless LEDs. No idea about colour, gonna have to search for that yourself.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Tried it but can't find a good option.

Already thinking about a mod PCB to use 0603 leds: like this one with a custom footprint

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.6cb14546d59fc049f97bc29fd5bedb59.png

You can also use 2x3x3mm rectangular LEDs (or something like that) but you might have to sand one edge depending on what keycaps you use.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

You know i'm probably special. I can't for the life of me read the end dates of group buys. When it says starts on January 24th I think this January when in fact it was last January. I bought all my parts thinking that I could join the group buy and finish the keyboard by 2022 but evidently I can't join group buys and I'm to poor to buy them from the mech market. So yeah I canceled my order and now will probably just pick up a 60/5% keyboard as a place holder until I find a keycap set I like.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I have a Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue keyboard for my desktop PC. I had a little container of sauce on my desk that I picked up, but the people at Buffalo Wild Wings didn't secure the lid, and it spilled on my keyboard. Most of the left third of the keyboard was covered in the sauce. I was drunk, so against my better judgment, I spilled water on it to try and clean it. I don't think anything got into the board underneath, but I'm not totally sure. The next morning (it was dry by then), I took off all the key caps and used cotton swabs with dish soap and water to clean the spaces between the keys as well as I could, and I washed the key caps. I used cotton swabs with very warm water to clean the surfaces of the keys and pressed them repeatedly (I got this technique from a Paul's Hardware video on cleaning mechanical keyboards). The keys in that area still seem sticky, and no matter what I do, when I turn on my computer, the keys don't register. Some of the LEDs still work, but not on the regular keys - just the brightess key and the other couple keys on the very top right of the keyboard (the ones that aren't removable), so the keyboard is getting power. It just won't type. Do I need to disassemble the whole keyboard?

5 minutes ago, greglevine said:

I have a Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue keyboard for my desktop PC. I had a little container of sauce on my desk that I picked up, but the people at Buffalo Wild Wings didn't secure the lid, and it spilled on my keyboard. Most of the left third of the keyboard was covered in the sauce. I was drunk, so against my better judgment, I spilled water on it to try and clean it. I don't think anything got into the board underneath, but I'm not totally sure. The next morning (it was dry by then), I took off all the key caps and used cotton swabs with dish soap and water to clean the spaces between the keys as well as I could, and I washed the key caps. I used cotton swabs with very warm water to clean the surfaces of the keys and pressed them repeatedly (I got this technique from a Paul's Hardware video on cleaning mechanical keyboards). The keys in that area still seem sticky, and no matter what I do, when I turn on my computer, the keys don't register. Some of the LEDs still work, but not on the regular keys - just the brightess key and the other couple keys on the very top right of the keyboard (the ones that aren't removable), so the keyboard is getting power. It just won't type. Do I need to disassemble the whole keyboard?

You need to replace it. The effort required to fix it is absolutely not worth it. Even if we assume that by some miracle the PCB is totally fine, you'd be desoldering and replacing many switches and LEDs.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, greglevine said:

It sounds like you broke your keyboard, which is unfortunate. You'll have to replace it, as kelvin said.

Decided to save money on the keyboard so I can get a 1440p 144hz monitor but I promise i'll keep this order. The one thing i'm not sure about is how good the kbd67 lite is but I didn't have much choice this is already stretching the limit of what I can afford if I want the monitor. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20201201-182022.thumb.png.b2d58444bae6e5488af68afbd013ae3f.png

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 12/1/2020 at 5:28 PM, Letgomyleghoe. said:

Decided to save money on the keyboard so I can get a 1440p 144hz monitor but I promise i'll keep this order. The one thing i'm not sure about is how good the kbd67 lite is but I didn't have much choice this is already stretching the limit of what I can afford if I want the monitor. 

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20201201-182022.thumb.png.b2d58444bae6e5488af68afbd013ae3f.png

It should be decent for an ABS case, the KBDFans DIY kits are actually really good. I am interested to see how the 'lite' version of the KBD67 holds up. The really benefit is the PCB itself, and you could always upgrade the case in the future as well.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

Focus calc progress. Basically just have to assemble a rev 2 when they arrive and do software and it should be good to go.

Spoiler

qXlcOXeI18WZIYUN4xQamZuKek-DK8n_8i4mmi0SeOHs9IVCva5uQ2sKkfCDSwExKzsZrTjxl6mh7wD7c794TW8MlAI4Ld3j-FXjKnyysNsQnNgdF5DKLo_fa10wXjjyrmAT2SWfxAptuFiugJ9QA62pAE_ZUTPIM0zE5jHPjlWCUYFeIAtRRUygvGrNCFYP_geq008IyjKhI6vNRx7HV1wRbV-tDS-M1pbE3o7utW-dvyuKBmnEElWdJd51uO-BZA9oACmoS2PYD_1SzdvDPhW0DqVZCkltO6aRq4PdDi8Lg8Gxysv2o0vfIQVEGx_qZtCHmbCrAdxWyeKPlYkocVaOyuzLFmaoG17CsYnvF-jIEl62RlvUrmSERBJ5Ix95RePmB3tjRlLCm40Hv_7sG6B_NqtnoMLM2V7Z9cqhykC-dNtL1cTpbrgGnMRYwD1TChrdZcT532WJf2kTqV1Ze2xddlsascZRbUhDI0E1CZY2tP5cAsf3hIzRIQ_BOPnt2yiFyZT5ZCgZtk8l_y4pkjk5Z5qoSNMMLPhQnGGl_JyMTpLXGnqEZecHdLLl20MTz8PmoSFWRNHsQoK1uz-viP1WhbIDgqzHrE7ddY7dhV3N1pk11NKguDizxlehJE1aQAFvq4O8Ta4Q4Qyyk8BiZu3-6EDHgjoZJgkjNYSKBEz0UFoEHunPvIK3gsOm5g=w684-h911-no?authuser=0

One thing a friend brought up that I stupidly should've added was for the kb/calc button to not only control the four cd4053bs to switch the matrix from going back to the keyboard or into the calc module mcu, but to have that button also signal to the controller if it was pressed or not. Easy thing to add tho.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I have no idea if these are mechanical switches or not, but:
I have 3 Dell QuietKey SK-1000REWs.

Attic raid.

Here ya go.

Only one shown because who needs to see all three?

The Core i3 sticker is my addition - I used this until my PS/2 to USB adapter stopped working.

WIN_20201203_23_56_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201203_23_56_59_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201203_23_57_03_Pro.jpg

elephants

6 hours ago, army_greywolf said:

Any fellow Beamspring owners on here?  Also, my first post.  Hi, etc.  Currently working on a Visual 300 terminal keyboard with micro switches I have to research yet.20201203_201159.thumb.jpg.ab84f42efb99565dedb140580a26db04.jpg

Gorgeous. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the white whale but would still love to own one.

What model of switch does that terminal board have? If it's one of a few variants of SD hall effects it would be super easy to convert.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Gorgeous. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the white whale but would still love to own one.

What model of switch does that terminal board have? If it's one of a few variants of SD hall effects it would be super easy to convert.

4B1S, my favorites.  They need cleaning really bad. 

10 minutes ago, army_greywolf said:

4B1S, my favorites.  They need cleaning really bad. 

Nice, those are logic scan. afaik those boards can be converted with a standard matrix map. Got any pics?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

31 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Nice, those are logic scan. afaik those boards can be converted with a standard matrix map. Got any pics?

This one is being sold, its a convergent technologies logic scan hall effect keyboard.  The visual 300 is the same thing, no pictures just yet.  I have it completely apart in about 600 pieces. I am going to do the plastic polish on the switch plastics to reverse some of the scarring from dirt embedding into the switches.  I really REALLY want to turn that one into the ultimate daily driver with custom wood key caps.  I am looking for someone that lasers keycaps so I can have them made.

20201203_154225.jpg

I play a lot of osu and my z key cap broke does anyone have recommendations on key caps for a logitech g610 orion red

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, sub68 said:

I play a lot of osu and my z key cap broke does anyone have recommendations on key caps for a logitech g610 orion red

That will be compatible with almost all keycap sets on the market. I recommend finding a replacement from another G610 because pretty much everything else will look off.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I recommend finding a replacement from another G610

that's the thing I can't find any on amazon

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

4 minutes ago, sub68 said:

that's the thing I can't find any on amazon

Look on mechmarket, ebay, aliexpress, etc

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Hey all,

I'm a relative noob to mechanical keyboards, in the sense that I don't know how to build one or solder modifications. 

I'm looking for a good value mechanical keyboard that is:

• Wireless+wired.
  • Tenkeyless or 75% US layout.
  • Backlight (single color preferred) that perforates through the key signs (because I've seen keyboards where the lights are visible everywhere but the key signs).
  • Cherry MX Brown or similar.
  • As much low latency as possible, i.e., gaming should be possible at least in wired mode.
  • Lightweight.
  • Wired interface -> USB C.

I checked out the Keychron K2 and K8, they're pretty good except for their weight and latency. The awaited K3 seems to be lightweight, but that's not been released yet and I want it sooner. 

I can see that I'm picky, so apologies for that. Do you guys have any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, AndroAdi said:

Hey all,

I'm a relative noob to mechanical keyboards, in the sense that I don't know how to build one or solder modifications. 

I'm looking for a good value mechanical keyboard that is:

• Wireless+wired.
  • Tenkeyless or 75% US layout.
  • Backlight (single color preferred) that perforates through the key signs (because I've seen keyboards where the lights are visible everywhere but the key signs).
  • Cherry MX Brown or similar.
  • As much low latency as possible, i.e., gaming should be possible at least in wired mode.
  • Lightweight.
  • Wired interface -> USB C.

I checked out the Keychron K2 and K8, they're pretty good except for their weight and latency. The awaited K3 seems to be lightweight, but that's not been released yet and I want it sooner. 

I can see that I'm picky, so apologies for that. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Weight tends to be associated with quality which is why you're not going to find any decent board that doesn't weigh much. Not sure why you would want a lightweight keyboard, but whatever that's besides the point.

I would go for one of the Keychrons. Also, latency is going to be basically the same between all wireless keyboards, and imo you wouldn't really notice it. If you are sensitive to latency, just use it wired.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Weight tends to be associated with quality which is why you're not going to find any decent board that doesn't weigh much. Not sure why you would want a lightweight keyboard, but whatever that's besides the point.

I would go for one of the Keychrons. Also, latency is going to be basically the same between all wireless keyboards, and imo you wouldn't really notice it. If you are sensitive to latency, just use it wired.

In case I want to carry it in my backpack, which would probably be heavy already, I don't want it too heavy. 

Anyway, I've since decided not to look too much into the weight factor. I checked out the Nutype F1 which seemed very good. But when I watched the review from Click And Switch, she says the thin keys that come with low profile design is flimsy. Is that true? Is it the case with all low profile switches?

2 minutes ago, AndroAdi said:

In case I want to carry it in my backpack, which would probably be heavy already, I don't want it too heavy. 

Anyway, I've since decided not to look too much into the weight factor. I checked out the Nutype F1 which seemed very good. But when I watched the review from Click And Switch, she says the thin keys that come with low profile design is flimsy. Is that true? Is it the case with all low profile switches?

That thing has a shitty layout and Kailh Choc so you probably won't like it. I'd avoid Choc personally.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈