Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

Any major problems with my layout?

And should I make the left enter, caps lock, ect be 1.5u or 2u?

well 1.5 would not need stabilizers but 2 would so that my be something to keep in mind. Maybe you should look into what keycaps you can easily buy before finalizing the layout.

well 1.5 would not need stabilizers but 2 would so that my be something to keep in mind. Maybe you should look into what keycaps you can easily buy before finalizing the layout.

Right, that might be a good idea

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Any ideas on where to get keycaps?

My best bet would probably be an ergodox set plus some more

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Ooh that look great thanks, plenty of options there

Could somone tell me the standard size for keys such as enter, tab, caps lock, and shift, ctrl, alt, that would be included in a set such as this?
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-1976-keycap-set/

question, are the sets there that are out of stock out of stock for good, or just temporary. I really like that 1976 keycap set

question, are the sets there that are out of stock out of stock for good, or just temporary. I really like that 1976 keycap set

Not sure but I would assume they probably are not coming back. I think a lot of them are small runs of custom designs

Not sure but I would assume they probably are not coming back. I think a lot of them are small runs of custom designs

Well that would be a shame. Looks like many of them are out of stock. Ill have to look out for other good keycap sets.

Im trying to modify my current design to work better with a standard keycap set, that will make it easier. I might go for blank keycaps, still not sure.

If I changed it to this:

post-53826-0-07572500-1447560104.pngpost-53826-0-08304000-1447560119.png

Then it would work with any standard set of blank keycaps, so I might do that, and get a keycap set like this in blanks:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ducky-pbt-108-key-set

Well that would be a shame. Looks like many of them are out of stock. Ill have to look out for other good keycap sets.

Im trying to modify my current design to work better with a standard keycap set, that will make it easier. I might go for blank keycaps, still not sure.

If I changed it to this:

attachicon.gifleft.pngattachicon.gifright.png

Then it would work with any standard set of blank keycaps, so I might do that, and get a keycap set like this in blanks:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ducky-pbt-108-key-set

if you want to go with standard caps you should probably just load the preset for ansi 104 in the layout editor and then messing with that.

if you want to go with standard caps you should probably just load the preset for ansi 104 in the layout editor and then messing with that.

hmm, didnt think of that. But I manualy counted everything, and my keyboard would be compatible with standard caps, if they were blank, other than the iso enter space bar. I might end up changing that. Not sure.

hmm, didnt think of that. But I manualy counted everything, and my keyboard would be compatible with standard caps, if they were blank, other than the iso enter space bar. I might end up changing that. Not sure.

even if they are blanks they would need to be something like dsa profile to work since you will not be able to fine some of those sized in that correct row profile.

even if they are blanks they would need to be something like dsa profile to work since you will not be able to fine some of those sized in that correct row profile.

oh yeah, forgot about that.

Hmm, this is hard to find keycaps for custom keyboards.

My best bet would be to return to my previouse layout with 1.5u keys on the left instead of 1.25, and then buy an ergodox keyset, and then get the remaining function keys some way.

I think that would work best.

oh yeah, forgot about that.

Hmm, this is hard to find keycaps for custom keyboards.

My best bet would be to return to my previouse layout with 1.5u keys on the left instead of 1.25, and then buy an ergodox keyset, and then get the remaining function keys some way.

I think that would work best.

Kinda funny how you say ErgoDox keyless since there really aren't any. I mean massdrop might have some but they are just a bunch of blank DSA keycaps.

Kinda funny how you say ErgoDox keyless since there really aren't any. I mean massdrop might have some but they are just a bunch of blank DSA keycaps.

This has it, but out of stock

This has it, but out of stock

That is a variation of a custom set. Also not all that useful since there is not "default layout" for a eDox and the one proposed by Massdrop is horrible for a number of reasons. mainly that its familiar but not enough so.

That is a variation of a custom set. Also not all that useful since there is not "default layout" for a eDox and the one proposed by Massdrop is horrible for a number of reasons. mainly that its familiar but not enough so.

What would you suggest I do to get key caps for a custom layout like mine?

What would you suggest I do to get key caps for a custom layout like mine?

Blanks? Or see if you can figure out a way fro WASD's keys to fit if you need lettering.

Blanks? Or see if you can figure out a way fro WASD's keys to fit if you need lettering.

And I'll need to make sure they are DSA, right?

well the latter keys are not that much of a problem it is just the rest of them. I wish wasd would do dsa blanks and custom printing since it would get around the row problem that you end up with using standard caps

well the latter keys are not that much of a problem it is just the rest of them. I wish wasd would do dsa blanks and custom printing since it would get around the row problem that you end up with using standard caps

where you going to get the custom printing done though?

I have thought about doing it a decent number of times

I mean where would you take it to get it done or are you going to do it yourself. Artisan hand engraved keycaps :P

I mean where would you take it to get it done or are you going to do it yourself. Artisan hand engraved keycaps :P

oh i was saying i wish wasd did it. however i could possibly laser engrave some if I was inclined for myself anyways

oh i was saying i wish wasd did it. however i could possibly laser engrave some if I was inclined for myself anyways

Ah I tried to get him to engrave Realforce caps for a HHKB. Back then he might have done it and would have needed the numpad caps for testing. Now however I doubt it. I was saying get one of those vibrating had engraver [emoji14]