i5-6600k or i7-4790k

Marshew
Go to solution Solved by App4that,

Question then.. would the new skylake i7 be an even better choice?

If at the same price, yes. If the 4790k is cheaper go with it. By the time the 4790k needs to be replaced there will be a replacement for Skylake. Skylake only offers an upgrade advantage if you're not looking at a i7.

Which one should I choose for my new gaming rig and why? Go!

(Leaning towards the new i5 bc .. price and speeds)

For gaming and light editing i5 for loads of  editing/rendering i7

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Are you going to be editing, rendering, or streaming? If not, get the 6600K. If so, get the Xeon 1231v3 + a cheap cooler and H97 board (i7 performance for i5 price)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

i7 4790k because Its powerfull linked with a good graphics card. It all depends on what you need it for. For me my i7 is great.

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

For gaming and light editing i5 for loads of  editing/rendering i7

I do a lot of work in lightroom, photoshop, and after effects.. i7 may be the better choice then?

You don't need a 6600k. You can get a humbe i5 6500 + z170 and still OC just fine. It'll save you some nice cash.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I have no problems recommending a Core i5 for gaming system, but in the U.S. right now an i5-6600K is $280 compared to a i5-4690K which can be found for as little as $225. I'd probably recommend the latter, at least until the supply/demand situation with Skylake balances itself out.

And there's also the $200 i5-6500, which can be overclocked with at least some Z170 boards.

I do a lot of work in lightroom, photoshop, and after effects.. i7 may be the better choice then?

Get a Xeon 1231v3, a H97 or B85 motherboard and a cheap air cooler. You can't overclock but it essential gives the performance of an i7 (i7-4770 to be precise) for around the same price as an i5, cheaper if you count the savings getting a cheaper board and cooler.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I plan on doing LOTS of heavy gaming as well.. Especially when The Division comes out.  I'm going to be pairing with 32GB ram and the EVGA 980ti SC+.

Most modern games run much better on a i7, and some won't run at ultra settings without a i7. If you're worried about future games at all the i7 is a no brainier.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

id take the cheapest z170 you can find an OC the i5 6400 to whatever clock/temp you are comfortable with.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Most modern games run much better on a i7, and some won't run at ultra settings without a i7. If you're worried about future games at all the i7 is a no brainier.

I plan on doing LOTS of heavy gaming as well.. Especially when The Division comes out.  I'm going to be pairing with 32GB ram and the EVGA 980ti SC+.

Based on this I'd recommend the i7. Games seem to becoming more CPU intensive as time moves on with more physics (mostly with RTS games it seems. Cities XL, Ashes of the Singularity)

Grab a 240mm AIO and you should get 4.8GHz out of it without too much trouble (1.3-1.35v vcore). 

If at the same price, yes. If the 4790k is cheaper go with it. By the time the 4790k needs to be replaced there will be a replacement for Skylake. Skylake only offers an upgrade advantage if you're not looking at a i7.

Settled then.. i7 - 4790K it is.  

Thank you everyone for throwing down a quick round of suggestions.  I think when I get this i7 slapped into a new Mobo I'll be a happy camper.

You don't need a 6600k. You can get a humbe i5 6500 + z170 and still OC just fine. It'll save you some nice cash.

will not suggest that, there is a reason the prosesors were locked  

CPU:Intel I5 6700k (4.7GHz)  Mobo:Asus maximus viii hero RAM:HyperX 16GB  GPU:MSI gtx1080 Gaming X
Case:Fractal Design Define S SSD:Kingston 240GB HDD:1TB & 2TB raid 0 PSU:Corsair RMX750 Cooling:H100i v2 OS:Windows 10
Display:Benq GL2440,LG 29" Keyboard:Tesoro Durandal Mouse:Deathadder Sound:2.1 GENESIS NCS-0856, PC-37X, Razer manowar

not to hijack the thread but, i as convinced to get a i5 instead of i7 when i built my computer about 2 years ago or something, and i kinda regretted it, and i only do gaming. Because my i5 would run at near or to 100% usage, meaning if there was more to give, the game could take it, atleast thats how it looks to me.

If im wrong i dont mind hearing it, iv seen benchmarks showing the same or about the same fps when testing between a i5 and i7.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

will not suggest that, there is a reason the prosesors were locked  

Yeah, to force people to buy the more expensive SKUs. But now that mobo manufacturers pissed over intel and removed the limitation, there's almost no reason to get a 6600k.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Skylake supports way better memory though, DDR3 kits at 2666 MT/s or more are pretty expensive.

Yeah, to force people to buy the more expensive SKUs. But now that mobo manufacturers pissed over intel and removed the limitation, there's almost no reason to get a 6600k.

Except to get a binned chip and access to the multiplier. Also a Z board is usually built to handle the added stress of overclocking and offer more reliable overclocking. And a bios meant for overclocking so you can access multipliers for your ram and iGPU as well. In GPU terms the 6500 is reference and the 6600k is a Classified.

For gaming and a little bit of rendering i5 6600k

For the best of everything get the i7 4790k (I use the 4790k and it is the best for everything I do)

Except to get a binned chip and access to the multiplier. Also a Z board is usually built to handle the added stress of overclocking and offer more reliable overclocking. And a bios meant for overclocking so you can access multipliers for your ram and iGPU as well. In GPU terms the 6500 is reference and the 6600k is a Classified.

?

1. The binned ones are the ones that can handle HT. Aka 6700 and 6700k.
  2. I don't get what's your point on the z170 mobo. To OC the locked multiplier SKUs, you need a z170 mobo anyway, so.....
  3. About that gpu comparison thing: slap a water cooler on both a reference and a classified gpu. They'll achieve almost identical speeds post OC.

?

• The binned ones are the ones that can handle HT. Aka 6700 and 6700k.
  • I don't get what's your point on the z170 mobo. To OC the locked multiplier SKUs, you need a z170 mobo anyway, so.....
  • About that gpu comparison thing: slap a water cooler on both a reference and a classified gpu. They'll achieve almost identical speeds post OC.

The 6600k in binned as well, to my knowledge anyway. And if you're going to run a Z170 board you might as well get the better CPU. Overclock potential is in favor of the K skew as well.

I addressed your statement that there was no need for the K skew, not that overclocking a non K skew isn't something worth while. My point is both have a place. This forum has become far too all or nothing.

The Core i7-6700K is around $420 in the US, when you can actually find it in stock. You can get an i7-5820K for less than that. It's a bit crazy.