[UPDATE]Total Biscuit tears Valve a new one over Christnas Day, Valve post a statement!

Master Disaster

Yes, valve screwed up. But does it really matter?

It didn't leak to some hacking group that is out to get your info and will use it against you. It was "leaked" to random nobodies, just ordinary people who will more than likely not even do anything with any of that info and probably didn't save it either.

Should it have happened? No of course not. But this is still nothing really bad when you think about it.

Stupidity is not an excuse for malpractice.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Yet I was having an argument with someone about Valve being inferior to even EA's Origin service. lol

Consumer support really is inferior to Origin . Don't know about the rest.

And he makes the point that what they did is actually illegal under UK law.

Class action suit anyone? I'm up for waiting 5 years for £10 /jk

... he what? Well they're liable probably. I don't know why people listen to him about that sort of stuff, I'll leave the lawyering to people who have passed the bar. And who gives a shit about the UK's laws, everything is a fucking crime in the UK. That's the country that wants to prosecute parents for 13 year olds playing GTA.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

... he what? Well they're liable probably. I don't know why people listen to him about that sort of stuff, I'll leave the lawyering to people who have passed the bar. And who gives a shit about the UK's laws, everything is a fucking crime in the UK. That's the country that wants to prosecute parents for 13 year olds playing GTA.

TIL you need to be a lawyer to know the law.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Yes, it is bad. You just don't understand exactly how bad this is.

I perfectly understand how bad it CAN be. But lets be reasonable here, TB is pretty much talking about the worst possible scenario there.

Like I said, it's not some hacking group that got your info. It's random people all over the world who more than likely won't do anything with your info. The chance of anybody getting doxed, swatted or overall have some life changing event due to this is so low it's not even worth talking about. It would be more likely that someone would just steal your mail and use that against you somehow.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yes, valve screwed up. But does it really matter?

It didn't leak to some hacking group that is out to get your info and will use it against you. It was "leaked" to random nobodies, just ordinary people who will more than likely not even do anything with any of that info and probably didn't save it either.

Should it have happened? No of course not. But this is still nothing really bad when you think about it.

You're joking, right? 

Some people's emails, partial names, credit card numbers and phone numbers were revealed to strangers. If someone had something in their cart, that information was clearly seeable if clicked (Full name, full phone and credit card number). That's already way too much information getting into the hands of strangers, of potential criminals.

So yes. It matters a lot. <_<

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

If Konami didn't exist or their management didn't go batshit insane this year, I'm pretty sure that at this point, Valve would be the runner-up for the biggest fuck up of the year. Paid mods is an entirely different issue - this is about the risks involved with personal information being leaked. Valve failed to keep confidential information confidential because of a failure on their part and the fact that they have stated nothing (not even an apology) about it is despicable.

I personally don't save my payment information to make checkout easier and urge other people to do the same. If you save your payment information, you're basically setting yourself up for identity theft or other forms of harassment if something like this were to happen (and it did happen.) I'd rather not have that happen.

edit: his post was removed

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

TIL you need to be a lawyer to know the law.

TB studied UK Law at University... He knows what he said Is correct otherwise he wouldn't have said it publicly.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

You're joking, right? 

Some people's emails, partial names, credit card numbers and phone numbers were revealed to strangers. If someone had something in their cart, that information was clearly seeable if clicked (Full name, full phone and credit card number). That's already way too much information getting into the hands of strangers, of potential criminals.

You think that everybody is out to get you or what? Seriously, people who work for your ISP, at the some Governmental level, any other service you use, all have access to that same information AND MORE. And guess what, they are also stranger. You think that just because they work there, that it means you can "trust" them more than some random stranger who will see that info(if you've even saved any of it, I certainly didn't) and just think "the hell is this?" and move on?

Anyway I'm done with this topic. Maybe I just don't get it. Because I'm not a streamer, or some kind of celebrity. Just a random guy, that nobody would or should, give a damn about even if they got hold of my info.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You think that everybody is out to get you or what? Seriously, people who work for your ISP, at the some Governmental level, any other service you use, all have access to that same information AND MORE. And guess what, they are also stranger. You think that just because they work there, that it means you can "trust" them more than some random stranger who will see that info(if you've even saved any of it, I certainly didn't) and just think "the hell is this?" and move on?

Anyway I'm done with this topic. Maybe I just don't get it. Because I'm not a streamer, or some kind of celebrity. Just a random guy, that nobody would or should, give a damn about even if they got hold of my info.

This has to be the most ignorant argument I have seen in a long time.

Oh, my ISP knows my private information? So why not some more strangers too who have no ties to a company? I have no one out to get me so it can't hurt me any!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

And guess what, them people are vetted to be in a privileged position and usually sign some kind of contract to say they won't expose this info anywhere.

Also, not to mention their servers randomly going down on normal days in the middle of when a ton of people are online in game, and also the terrible game updates. Did you see CS:GO's revolver update? Did they not test it beforehand or something? Sounds like they just made sure the code ran and pushed it online asap with no gameplay tests. I mean, that revolver thing was pretty fun and stupid to be honest, but it's unacceptable how a company can be so unprofessional and let stuff like this constantly slide. In fact, Treyarch is a lot better than them. Yeah, that's right. One of the CoD developers.

Also all their in-game "nerfs" and "balanaces" and "buffs" are nonsense, half the time they were fine the way they were before with less complaint, and when they "balance" them they just end up unbalancing the whole game and cause lots of complaint. 

I hope they start taking more responsibility for their screw-ups though. It's partially because valve has no structure to it's company at all.

As I said before, Valve no longer lives up to the amazing reputation they built up years ago. People expect more of them as a result.

No, they didnt, almost every pro complained and had no knowledge.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

You're joking, right? 

I get his point, while it was a fuck up, it was a fairly low risk fuck up.

The vast majority of people wouldn't have been logged into steam on Xmas day, with something in their cart during the caching issue. The vast majority of people don't have a phone number associated with their account, the vast majority of people would use Paypal to pay for steam games. The most anybody could obtain from my account (for example) would be my Paypal associated email address, which is pretty much harmless on it's own.

Then you have to factor in the occurrence of somebody with nefarious intentions would have to stumble randomly upon your data during that limited time frame. The overall risk is extremely low.

That being said TotalBiscuit was correct, their customer service sucks, they needed to release a public statement via Steam and apologise. And Valve should be contacting anybody that had something in their cart during that time to make them aware of the breach.

Good luck getting them to care, after all the only other places you can get games from suck much harder (except for gog, but they don't have as many games).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This has to be the most ignorant argument I have seen in a long time.

Oh, my ISP knows my private information? So why not some more strangers too who have no ties to a company? I have no one out to get me so it can't hurt me any!

I guess my credit card company also shouldn't be liable when their programmers fuck up and allow my personal information to be viewed by literally anyone. :/

I think that's ridicolous how valve acts, they are full of money though the servers have often issues, support is non-existant, they are killing trading, the authenticator is not available on windows phones and much more.

I could understand that from a small company but valve got massive.

Well, they said sorry. Time to forgive and forget. ^_^

Forgive? If you're feeling generous. I'm not.

Forget? Not going to fucking happen.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Not even close. Valve must fix their support system immediately, it's a fucking joke right now.

A month to get a copy paste response before your ticket is closed. No phone support at all and your even at their mercy if your account gets compromised. I mean who else would say

"it'll take us at least a week to respond to your ticket, during that time the hackers get free use of your account and anything they do will be deemed as your responsibility"

And think that's an acceptable way to run a business? And there's people who defend that shit too?

I've never understood why people praise valve, it's bull DRM and it's bull client

You complain about DRM, but at the same time when we have issues about games being pirated, the first thing people try to do is develop DRM.  

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

Guys that seems like pretty clear sarcasm.

I hope so :)

People should really use the sarcasm tag though.