I think my PC is dead...

Go to solution Solved by The Official Czex,

Remove CMOS battery, wait 5 minutes, drop it back in.

So I overclocked the CPU a little too far with too little voltage I believe, and now when the PC starts it will only show the motherboard screen and crash, if I try to go into the BIOS it just doesn't load. Anyway to load with default CPU speeds? Because I don't want my PC to die...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

So I overclocked the CPU a little too far with too little voltage I believe, and now when the PC starts it will only show the motherboard screen and crash, if I try to go into the BIOS it just doesn't load. Anyway to load with default CPU speeds? Because I don't want my PC to die...

Look at your mobo's manual on how to reset the BIOS. Do it, and pray that the problem is solved.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

it's probably not dead, it just can't start with the voltage you put in. do what the people above had said.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

how far did you go

*sigh*

cause i've gone up to 1.5 and still havent killed my CPU

I'm an idiot I know

Just to be clear, that CMOS battery is the silvery one that's flat, is it noT? And does it require force to pull out?

Reset the BIOS using Jumper method or take out battery method.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Just to be clear, that CMOS battery is the silvery one that's flat, is it noT?

It is. It looks like a watch battery.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Just to be clear, that CMOS battery is the silvery one that's flat, is it noT? And does it require force to pull out?

Yeah.

It'll look like this.

But in your motherboard, the position may vary.

625-cmos-batt1-s-.png

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Make sure to remove all power as well as the battery for at least 5 mins, You have set a voltage that makes the CPU unstable on boot. Not a big deal and you havent killed anything.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Make sure to remove all power as well as the battery for at least 5 mins, You have set a voltage that makes the CPU unstable on boot. Not a big deal and you havent killed anything.

Thank you manufacturers for making stuff 'idiot-proof' 

As long as no sparks are flying, your PC is not dead. Like everyone else has said, remove the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes or use a metal screwdriver and touch it on the jumper pins and hold it there for about 15 seconds. I find that method easier.

P.S. You're not the only one who's done this before....

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

Hahaha, fantastic.

If you haven't broken a few bios, you haven't lived. ^_^

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Instead of pulling the battery see if there is a CMOS reset on the back of the IO or see if there are CMOS reset pins on the board. To reset,  power the system down and press the button, if you have no button and have to short the pins power the system down, and unplug the power supply cable from the wall, and short the two pins with a flathead screwdriver.

jumper.jpg