2 R9 390Xs and i7-4790K

Hello, I was wondering if I were to get a second R9 390X if it would be bottle necked by my i7-4790K at stock speed or vice versa. I would rather not pay and pray. Thank you!

Current system specs in case you need them for any reason...

Chasis: Coolermaster Storm Stryker
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
GPU: MSI R9 390X 
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master H100i
PSU: EVGA 1000W G2

What resolution?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

What resolution?

Sorry, Resolution would be 1080P, 3 way monitor set-up.

Plan on upgrading monitors later down the line. 

Sorry, Resolution would be 1080P, 3 way monitor set-up.

Plan on upgrading monitors later down the line. 

I'd prefer getting one 980 Ti. If that's available. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

you really cant bottleneck any intel proccesor with 4 or more cores 

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

Thank you so much for the info. I was just really curious. I just upgraded from a GTX 770 and was planning on Adding a second card for the hell of it and to get a bit more performance and future-proof this. 

I'd prefer getting one 980 Ti. If that's available.

He already has a 390X.

And from times past we know that 2 290X's will beat a Titan X until vram becomes a factor so the 8Gb on 390X's will mean you get better performance then a 980ti and have more vram.

your i7 can support dual 980Tis

but given that the heat output is really high

go for Single best GPU like the Fury X

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

He already has a 390X.

And from times past we know that 2 290X's will beat a Titan X until vram becomes a factor so the 8Gb on 390X's will mean you get better performance then a 980ti and have more vram.

m3iss.png

this tho

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

also saying that it is crossfire i would buy the best amd card there is 

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

He already has a 390X.

Opps, my mistake. I missed "already have" part.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

your i7 can support dual 980Tis

but given that the heat output is really high

go for Single best GPU like the Fury X

Was mainly going for the 390X because it has the 8 gigs of V-ram for a single card, which I think is super impressive and makes this card that much more future proof. 

It will work just fine but it will be hot. Better have good air flow in ur case especially venting then excess heat out

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D

My 4790k maxes both my overclocked 980ti's 100 percent

And only reaches like 60 percent usage in gaming at 144hz

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Hello, I was wondering if I were to get a second R9 390X if it would be bottle necked by my i7-4790K at stock speed or vice versa. I would rather not pay and pray. Thank you!

Current system specs in case you need them for any reason...

Chasis: Coolermaster Storm Stryker
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
GPU: MSI R9 390X 
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master H100i
PSU: EVGA 1000W G2

0 bottleneck 

Was mainly going for the 390X because it has the 8 gigs of V-ram for a single card, which I think is super impressive and makes this card that much more future proof. 

8GB is great for 4K

but AMD is moving to HBM for a reason

because of the titan size memory bandwidth

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Thank you very much for all the info! I wasn't expecting such fast responses like that o-o.

It's good to know that there would be zero bottleneck and I am happy about that. I am already aware about the heat issue and I will try to be finding a way to deal with that, be it adding another fan or whatever. Thank you so much! 

That is far from true. A Q6600 would bottle neck a single R9 290.

His computer will be fine though.