Asrock Makes Non-K Skylake CPU Overclocking Official With 'SKY OC' Z170 BIOS Update

TheElt

Asrock’s SKY OC is available on its Z170 motherboards and can be enabled with a simple BIOS update, which is available from the company’s website (See table below for links). It enables you to adjust the BCLK to overclock locked CPUs to their full potential. Asrock showed off CPU-Z screenshots of its i5-6600 overclock. The company also claimed to have attained a 60% overclock on an i5-6400, as well.

pro2.jpg

One of the limitations to overclocking non-K Skylake processors: Turbo Boost and C-State are disabled with SKY OC is applied. The company also explained that the integrated Intel graphics has to be disabled as well, meaning you’ll need a discrete GPU in the system.

With ASRock claiming anywhere from a 19-60% OC depending on the chip, this could make for some interesting results with i3s especially. However with this feature being locked to only ASRock boards and Z170 chipsets for now, I think most people would be running K-Series chips on those boards. However other vendors will probably step in soon with their own versions, and ASRock have not completely ruled out the feature coming to other boards in the future.

Asrock said that SKY OC will work with i3, i5, i7 and Pentium non-K CPUs. Currently, only Z170 chipsets support the feature, but the company seemingly hinted at the possibility of that changing in the future: “…have faith in Asrock’s skillful engineers, sooner or later, more Christmas gifts from Asrock are going to be delivered.”

Sauce 1 | Sauce 2

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

repost like 5x

I'll find the link one min

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Cheers for that, must have missed it when I was looking through.

Requesting lock/delete.

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

thx buddy, I was going to go look for it....

then i realized i didnt really care :(  (no flame intended)

then I went back to playing with my shiny new gpu...........

lYSP9.jpg

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

They seem to all top out at 4.3-4.5 GHz, regardless of what the bus speed is, might be the limit of these lower binned CPUs, buying higher binned models might yield better end results.

They seem to all top out at 4.3-4.5 GHz, regardless of what the bus speed is, might be the limit of these lower binned CPUs, buying higher binned models might yield better end results.

My Pentium G4400 is currently sitting at 4.75ghz. Don't know if i am lucky or not. I booted into 4.818, but it was getting too hot under Prime95 load. 

IXuejZK.png

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

My Pentium G4400 is currently sitting at 4.75ghz. Don't know if i am lucky or not. I booted into 4.818, but it was getting too hot under Prime95 load. 

IXuejZK.png

I did oc the ram thanks to the advice.

Anyway these locked cpu can be oc as K series and it should be the same. It just each had their own way of oc.

I think this is all a coordinated "benevolent conspiracy" by Intel. It can't be coincidental that it's Intel's board partners who are struggling to get traction the most in the consumer space like AsRock and Supermicro who are doing this. And in addition, a lot of the i3 and Pentium chips mysteriously went 'on sale' at the same time (at least, here in Norway from what I can see)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE AsRock, they've been consistently the best board partner for Intel in terms of features-per-dollar since Ivy Bridge, but it's no secret 70% of wannabe-enthusiasts and gamers are still blind and ignorant towards them when building systems.

Hell, their X99 offerings make you automatically assume anyone who'd buy anything else with less features for more dollar is an honest-to-god idiot.

I hope this is a helping hand from Intel and not just AsRock sticking their neck out.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.