Now you can overclock even a 'locked' Intel Skylake processor

ahhming

This was made possible by a BIOS update from ASRock that enables BCLK, or base clock, overclocking with any Skylake CPU on its Z170 motherboards. Owners of ASRock motherboards will be the first to benefit, but other motherboard manufacturers are probably not too far behind.

bclk-overclocking-cpuz-1b.jpg

When Techspot tested this out on an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ motherboard, they managed to boost the Intel Core i3-6100 processor to an impressive 4.7GHz, up from the base speed of 3.7GHz. This was done solely by increasing the base clock (they achieved a high of 127MHz) as the Core i3-6100 CPU is technically still ‘locked’, which means that the CPU multiplier is fixed at 37.

Source:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1108-intel-locked-skylake-cpu-bclk-overclocking/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-base-clock-overclocking,30752.html

http://www.techradar.com/sg/news/computing-components/processors/even-intel-s-cheap-skylake-cpus-can-be-ramped-up-with-serious-overclocking-1311110

http://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/88898-locked-skylake-cpus-can-overclocked-bios-update/

Hasn't this been around since haswell and not news at all?

EDIT: BCLK overclocking HAS been allowed on non-K cpu's before haswell, and was removed for haswell from what I just quickly gathered.

When in doubt, re-format.

Coolio, I'll just buy a unlock processor tho.

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

EDIT: BCLK overclocking HAS been allowed on non-K cpu's before haswell, and was removed for haswell from what I just quickly gathered.

BCLK overclocking was always "allowed", but the Skylake feature allowing it to scale beyond 3-4% was disabled on locked CPUs.

there is no unlocked i3 :)

I don't plan on overclocking any i3's. I'll wait till I can afford an i7, then buy an unlocked one.

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

BCLK overclocking was always "allowed", but the Skylake feature allowing it to scale beyond 3-4% was disabled on locked CPUs.

Ahh, i see. Thanks for the clarification.

When in doubt, re-format.

Old-ish news. I don't think that this is important unless the lower-range boards can do it too. After all, what the point of buying a i3 and a Z170 motherboard when you could get a i5 and a H or B series motherboard for almost the same price (unless you plan on upgrading in the future).

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I thought you could already change bclk on z motherboard, even with "locked" cpus.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Not really news, and Intel will likely deactivate it with a microcode update through Windows Update (inb4 linux master race).

It's BIOS level, they'd need to force the motherboard makers to revert their changes that have been made to the BIOS to unlock the stuff in the first place, even then the damage has been done, people already have the BIOS.

@ahhming Asrock isn't the first people to do this, Asus also has it & so does Supermicro.

I thought you could already change bclk on z motherboard, even with "locked" cpus.

Only to ~102.95, 103 was instant BSOD on these "locked" skylake cpus.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It's BIOS level, they'd need to force the motherboard makers to revert their changes that have been made to the BIOS to unlock the stuff in the first place, even then the damage has been done, people already have the BIOS.

No, they can force a microcode update through Windows if necessary (and if Microsoft plays along). That will override the BIOS in this regard.

No, they can force a microcode update through Windows if necessary (and if Microsoft plays along). That will override the BIOS in this regard.

Is it really worth the trouble? 

I'd venture to bet that sales on these chips has gone up a lot, intel has such a big market share I'm sure this will probably help them rather than damage them.  I'd think they're getting tons of positive media out of this, probably boosting sales even more.

For serious overclockers this is a great thing, there's TONS of dual core benchmark records that haven't been broken in YEARS because of intel locking stuff down like this, so everybody over on hwbot is snagging these CPU's up to go and get boatloads of points. (There was literally dual core records on hwbot from the  1366 days that hadn't been broken by new haswell or skylake stuff before this unlocking stuff)

I know lots of people from hwbot have already bought lots of them to bin, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more people as well.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Is it really worth the trouble? 

I'd venture to bet that sales on these chips has gone up a lot, intel has such a big market share I'm sure this will probably help them rather than damage them.  I'd think they're getting tons of positive media out of this, probably boosting sales even more.

They didn't mind cracking down on it last time. And while the sales of these cheaper non-K chips may increase, the sales of the more expensive K chips may suffer.

Nope, only the unlocked CPUs had the option of changing the BCLK independently from everything else.

This happened before..., a buddy of my got his locked(non k) 2600 on a Z68 board to 4.4ghz (somewhere around that range).

that would be really sad, inb4 disable windows update.

Intel already did it with the G3258 with Windows 10, but it was more of disabling overclocking on non z boards.

SuperMicro did it first then Asrock and Asus followed

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Though the 3.3GHGz base clock that I managed on my i5 4440 was good, didn't need turbo boost then.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This happened before..., a buddy of my got his locked(non k) 2600 on a Z68 board to 4.4ghz (somewhere around that range).

Sandy/Ivy Bridge was different, because there were no locked Core i5s or i7s on the desktop. They were either the fully unlocked K CPUs or the "limited unlocked" non-K CPUs. My Core i5-3450 (stock 3.1-3.5 GHz) is sitting at 3.9 GHz without any change to the BCLK.

They'll just remove it later anyways, thanks Microsoft for making my h81m-k not able to over clock my g3258

That's why i disabled automatic updates with the Group Policy Editor. Don't need my G4400 going back down to 3.3ghz after tasting 4.6. For overclockers, getting the professional edition of windows 10 is a must all around. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.