Under $1000 Gaming Laptop with Non-Gaming Aesthetics

Guilty Baby

So my friend (who is currently a mac user) gave me an odd request of finding laptop that could game on but wouldn't scream "GAMING" because he doesn't want his parents to scrutinize him for it. (Honestly he should just settle it with his parents.)

Anyway... here are some of basic requirements that I nailed down from his picky requests:

- Under 16" IPS panel.

- No giant 1 inch thick laptops.

- Preferably lightweight.

- Reasonable battery life that will last at least 4 hours on lightload.

- i5 CPU and 950M+ GPU Power 

- Under $1000

So far my list consist of the Asus K501UX (specs) just because it's not overly expensive and kinda fits with the mac-like profile. I know the I'm not using all 1000 dollars and could probably get a 960M for that budget but I can't seem to find one that isn't branded with either green or red highlights, lol.

Thanks guys. Any recommendation would be appreciated!

I really wish there was a website where you could nail down a list of laptops based on specs (like PCPartPicker) but unfortunately not even manufacturers' own websites do that very well.

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

An asus n550jw should do the job, looks pretty standard from the outside but packs a serious punch.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Macbook air! Can play at ultra 120fps on minesweeper :D

But seriously the laptop @Xenift linked is awesome! (stole my suggestion :P)

Might add this later...

So my friend (who is currently a mac user) gave me an odd request of finding laptop that could game on but wouldn't scream "GAMING" because he doesn't want his parents to scrutinize him for it. (Honestly he should just settle it with his parents.)

Anyway... here are some of basic requirements that I nailed down from his picky requests:

- Under 16" IPS panel.

- No giant 1 inch thick laptops.

- Preferably lightweight.

- Reasonable battery life that will last at least 4 hours on lightload.

- i5 CPU and 950M+ GPU Power 

- Under $1000

So far my list consist of the Asus K501UX (specs) just because it's not overly expensive and kinda fits with the mac-like profile. I know the I'm not using all 1000 dollars and could probably get a 960M for that budget but I can't seem to find one that isn't branded with either green or red highlights, lol.

Thanks guys. Any recommendation would be appreciated!

I really wish there was a website where you could nail down a list of laptops based on specs (like PCPartPicker) but unfortunately not even manufacturers' own websites do that very well.

Just go to your local computer retailer to look for a laptop.

If you want a gaming laptop with non-gaming aesthetics, make sure the laptop meets these criteria.

1. An i5 CPU (For gaming, I recommend a quad core)

2. Dedicated graphics. When getting a laptop for gaming, make sure it has dedicated graphics otherwise your games will look awful. Most non-gaming laptops these days ship with AMD graphics chips.

3. Screen under 16". Most decent laptops ship with a 15.6" display.

4. One without an optical drive. Laptops without optical drives are generally thinner than those with. If you need an optical drive, purchase one from your local computer retailer or online. They are like $20AUD.

The batteries are probably where the issues will arise. If you try to game on the battery not connected to mains power, that charge will disappear. These laptops all last at least 4 hours on light load with most of them having 6+ hour batteries out of the box.

I was looking at buying a laptop last year and found some really good ones for around $700-900AUD. You should be able to find one cheap somewhere.

Hope this helped! Alpha.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

Acer_Aspire_V15_and_V17_Nitro_Black_Edit

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro, does this look too gamery to you?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

SNIP

This is perfect IMO though not exactly a slim ultrabook, its not exactly that fat and heavy either - and its a great price for the spec with the 960m!!

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450170029&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+960m

But there are others, like the MSI Ghost Pro and Phantom, Acer Nitro, HP Omen etc

But I guess its subjective in terms of what looks gamery etc

But you are limited with your budget, id never recommend LESS than the 960m

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

2. Dedicated graphics. When getting a laptop for gaming, make sure it has dedicated graphics otherwise your games will look awful. Most non-gaming laptops these days ship with AMD graphics chips.

Small criticism: you can't just look for a PC with dedicated graphics and a good CPU and think it's a good gaming machine for your money. That sounds like what a BestBuy employee would tell me to look for.

Plus, AMD's dedicated chips have gotten a lot better on the mobile side. Now if you're talking about their integrated graphics, yes that's true.

-snip-

The i5 is a quad core.

These days laptops all have intel graphics, it is the old laptops that have amd graphics.

15.6" is huge for a laptop, trust me.

Mostly nowadays, other than ultrabooks, standard work laptops around $500 all have optical drives.

And really, there is no alternative to gaming wirelessly at this point in time. I am afraid that a socket has to be nearby if you wan't to game for longer than an hour.

-snip-

Great choice really! Some of my friends use this laptop. 

The laptop has a black edition which has the same graphics processor as the Y700, and slightly better CPU to boot.

However the laptop seems to fluctuate in pricing really easily(actually nah) and that the speakers are not really as good as the ones on the Y700.

Thanks for all the replies! I think the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 seems to be the best deal out all of them. Unless I'm missing something. It does seem fishy though, so cheap for quite a bit of hardware.

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

Thanks for all the replies! I think the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 seems to be the best deal out all of them. Unless I'm missing something. It does seem fishy though, so cheap for quite a bit of hardware.

I found some reviews for it, it's good:

http://www.9to5gadgets.com/2015/11/review-dell-inspiron-i7559-763blk-cheap.html

http://pcverge.com/dell-inspiron-i7559-763blk-15-6-full-hd-gaming-laptop-review/

http://techforpennies.com/dell-inspiron-i7559-763blk-review/

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide