AMD's Zen will tape out in the next months - this is confusing

zMeul

source - trascript of Q&A session at Raymond James Technology Investors Conference: http://seekingalpha.com/article/3741456-advanced-micro-devices-amd-at-raymond-james-technology-investors-conference-transcript?page=4

the important bit:

Hans Mosesmann - Raymond James & Associates.

So, as Zen, the new x86-based processor; high-end. It's your return potentially into the data center/server area. What's the timing?

Devinder Kumar - Chief Financial Officer

Zen was a clean sheet design that started few years ago. We are in the final figure of executing and the milestone that you want hear us talk about is Zen tapping out, which should be over the next several months. And then putting samples in the hands of our customer and then starting portfolio of revenue in 2017. And by the way, because we have this reuse approach for cores, you will see us with Zen cores in the high-end desktop first and then the server from our overall products standpoint. But the key is tapping out in the next several months, samples and customers for the validation of the product over the 2016 time frame and then the revenue ramp happening in 2016.

---

OK ... I'm confused, really confused  :o this transcript is about a week old, I wanted to post it then but I hoped someone will shed some light .. it didn't happened 

didn't AMD said that Zen already taped out!? wasn't' Zen for servers to be delivered 1st, followed by desktop?

taping out in the next several months means that no way we'll see Zen in 2016

---

tom's hardware interpretation: AMD's Next Gen Products Taped Out, Possibly Delayed

However, if Kumar’s aforementioned 12-14 month timeline holds true, this puts the release of both AMD’s Zen CPUs and the Arctic Islands GPUs back to the second half of 2016 at earliest, and they may arrive as late as Q1 2017.

What exactly does "taping out" mean?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

OK ... I'm confused, really confused  :o

didn't AMD said that Zen already taped out!? wasn't' Zen for servers to be delivered 1st followed by desktop?

those were all pretty much on the rumour level iirc. what they said still doesn't mean we won't be seeing it in 2016, maybe just in q3/q4 instead of q2.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I thought it already was taped out....

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

those were all pretty much on the rumour level iirc. what they said still doesn't mean we won't be seeing it in 2016, maybe just in q3/q4 instead of q2.

there's no way for a 2016 launch, quoting him:

And then putting samples in the hands of our customer and then starting portfolio of revenue in 2017.

AMD better make this one count. A delay or something like that (which this kinda feels like) isn't bad, as long as it beats ass. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

there's no way for a 2016 launch, quoting him:

in 2017 they will "start portfolio of revenue", this would happen AFTER "putting samples in the hands of our customers" according to the phrasing. The "and then" is key.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

still in time for the Q4 launch..... 

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Finalizing the design of the chip.. aka "taping out" the location of traces/transistors for final production.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Finalizing the design of the chip.. aka "taping out" the location of traces/transistors for final production.

Oh wow, I assumed they had the chips finalized if they plan to bring it out next year.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

in 2017 they will "start portfolio of revenue", this would happen AFTER "putting samples in the hands of our customers" according to the phrasing. The "and then" is key.

samples does not mean retail units - they are engineering samples sent to mobo manufacturers to ensure everything is set for the launch; BIOS micro-code updates and such

Oh wow, I assumed they had the chips finalized if they plan to bring it out next year.

So brings that "this is confusing" part :D.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Indeed. Still possible to see a 2016 launch.

However, I think we can all agree that Devinder Kumar did NOT answer that question in a clear manner. His wording was clunky and imprecise.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Indeed. Still possible to see a 2016 launch.

However, I think we can all agree that Devinder Kumar did NOT answer that question in a clear manner. His wording was clunky and imprecise.

Like the FX series?

Isn't that just deciding the layout for the mobo?

Tape out on Wiki

Starting production hopefully will not take that long. Most sites are quoting that conference and saying samples by spring and customer offerings in the fall/winter (just in time for back to school or christmas, both high sales area's in the US). And that full year earnings will be in 2016. However, that being said there are also sites which state that it will be delayed till 2017 (a much smaller percentage of sites). As Devinder Kumar's words (as reported by that transcription that you linked to) are as clear as mud on this subject (he does not say `it will be availible on this day/month`), who knows.

I have held up a system upgrade waiting to see how Zen does, and am hoping it does well and is priced competivly [ie. lower than intel](i5 price for 4 core w/hyperthreading or i7-4core price for i7x 6+ core performace and threading would be very hard on intel). I am willing to wait till next fall (end of Q3/ begining of Q4), (as there are supposed to be a lot of new graphics card offerings next year), but not sure about waiting till 1stQ 2017.

Can I post the obligatory candle?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Their stock is probably going to tank... better start shorting them.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

It means that the design of the architecture and its resultant CPUs is done and its ready for production.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

By the time Zen is out.. they got Broadwell-E, and Kaby to deal with and on top of that they got Skylake-E around the corner.  Man--well, at least Radeon Technologies Group is a thing.

By the time Zen is out.. they got Broadwell-E, and Kaby to deal with and on top of that they got Skylake-E around the corner.  Man--well, at least Radeon Technologies Group is a thing.

Broadwell-E isn't going to be too much of a concern. Most of their "high-end" competition is likely going to be focused on High-End Consumer grade, so Core i5 and i7, not the Extreme or Workstation variants.

They will of course have products in those categories too, but even most "high end" PC gamers won't be touching Broadwell-E.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2017 is around the time they'll have a CPU that competes with Haswell for performance (TBH looking at previous launches, I'm expecting a fair bit less performance than what AMD is predicting) and Skylake for the latest features. AMD seems to have shot itself in the foot not trying to replace Bulldozer/Vishera ASAP. Well done AMD you've put yourselves even further behind.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Abusement of the english language. No concrete statements.

2017 is around the time they'll have a CPU that competes with Haswell for performance (TBH looking at previous launches, I'm expecting a fair bit less performance than what AMD is predicting) and Skylake for the latest features. AMD seems to have shot itself in the foot not trying to replace Bulldozer/Vishera ASAP. Well done AMD you've put yourselves even further behind.

You might want to read up on history. That is exactly what they did. Hence why steamroller and excavator did a quick 180 turn.

Well done.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Well, if we assume Zen is hitting the performance levels of say Haswell, then that would be fine. I mean Zen should have 8 core SKUs and Haswell is Haswell regardless of mainstream or enthusiast platform. So technically it would be competitive with both platforms since they should be more or less the same architecturally.

Of course, the enthusiast platform has the high core count, higher tdp, larger caches and I guess some tweaks along with the x99 chipset. But my point is IPC etc is roughly the same and looking at benchmarks a 4790k beats 5930k in single threaded work loads (higher clock speeds of course).

So if Zen can match that, it'll scale up and down to compete with both platforms which means it shouldn't be that far off a broadwell-e.

Of course all of this assumes AMD hits their target, which remains to be seen.