60i or 60p?

Hotpeppa1
Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

My camcorder has these two settings at 1080p, and I will be viewing the video on a 1080p LED tv. Which one would be better?

I'm going to jump in here because while people are telling you that 60p is better than 60i, which is generally a true statement, they haven't fully explained why.

• I'm going to safely say that for 99% of what you will be doing with the camera 60p or 30p, 25p, 24p will be the only frame rates you use
  • Unless you happen to work for a TV/Cable station where they might require the use of Interlaced signals for broadcasting
  • For Internet streaming, broadcasting, Youtube channels, etc. as long as the video is being uploaded to the Internet, Progressive is what you should use
  • Interlaced is a standard that is still in use, in few cases, and is being phased out as current monitors in production (on the market) are capable of Progressive

Here is a link that briefly explains the difference between Interlaced and Progressive

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/interlaced-vs-progressive-scanning-methods.html

Additionally, 60p does not equal 60fps.  If the manufacturer has implemented the standard correctly it should be 59.97fps

30p = 29.97fps, if the manufacturer has implemented 30p to equal 30fps they have not followed the industry standard like Nikon and Canon in their early DSLRs capable of video

25p = 25fps, 50p = 50fps (You'll find this in camera systems that are designed to be used in PAL regions, or cameras that can switch between NTSC and PAL*)

24p = 23.97fps

A use case for 60i, outside of TV/Cable broadcasting:

If you have a camera that is capable of only recording 1080@ 60i or 30p and there is no option for 60p and you want to record slow motion, then using 60i will be better than 30p.  Quality might slightly suffer and there will be issues of de-interlacing if played back on a monitor that supports Progressive inputs.

I believe in the US, several sports broadcasters still use Interlaced because it has some advantages when it comes to fast motion.  So if you plan to work in broadcasting (not over Internet) in a particular country, you will have to know the standards they allow you to use.

FYI, 60i is not 30p frame rate.  60i captures motion slightly differently than the frame rate used by 30p.  60i works at a higher frame rate than 30p, but each frame captured by 60i has less information than a frame captured by 30p.  So as stated in the previous link, each frame in a Progressive format is a full scan of the entire scene, while with Interlaced format it only captures for example odd or even lines alternatively during each "frame or better to state it as half-frame".

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/video-frame-rates-24p-25p-30p-60i.html

*Additionally, you will not be able to select 25/50p if your camera is set to NTSC region or 60hz flicker reduction mode in the camera settings, and vice versa for 24/30/60p if the camera is set to PAL/50hz.  Of course this depends on how the manufacturer designed the camera, but for the ones I've used this is the default.

My camcorder has these two settings at 1080p, and I will be viewing the video on a 1080p LED tv. Which one would be better?

Progressive will look better.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You want 60p. 60i is 1080i and interlaced, and you quite literally will never want that. Just a heads up for all future encounters with interlacing.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

60p.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

Oh lordy, 60p all the way. It won't look like dick when you render it, trust me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

60p

60i is interlaced which is effectively 30p. 60p is progressive scan which is he whole frame =60fps

no, 30p looks better than 60i

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I'm going to jump in here because while people are telling you that 60p is better than 60i, which is generally a true statement, they haven't fully explained why.

• I'm going to safely say that for 99% of what you will be doing with the camera 60p or 30p, 25p, 24p will be the only frame rates you use
  • Unless you happen to work for a TV/Cable station where they might require the use of Interlaced signals for broadcasting
  • For Internet streaming, broadcasting, Youtube channels, etc. as long as the video is being uploaded to the Internet, Progressive is what you should use
  • Interlaced is a standard that is still in use, in few cases, and is being phased out as current monitors in production (on the market) are capable of Progressive

Here is a link that briefly explains the difference between Interlaced and Progressive

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/interlaced-vs-progressive-scanning-methods.html

Additionally, 60p does not equal 60fps.  If the manufacturer has implemented the standard correctly it should be 59.97fps

30p = 29.97fps, if the manufacturer has implemented 30p to equal 30fps they have not followed the industry standard like Nikon and Canon in their early DSLRs capable of video

25p = 25fps, 50p = 50fps (You'll find this in camera systems that are designed to be used in PAL regions, or cameras that can switch between NTSC and PAL*)

24p = 23.97fps

A use case for 60i, outside of TV/Cable broadcasting:

If you have a camera that is capable of only recording 1080@ 60i or 30p and there is no option for 60p and you want to record slow motion, then using 60i will be better than 30p.  Quality might slightly suffer and there will be issues of de-interlacing if played back on a monitor that supports Progressive inputs.

I believe in the US, several sports broadcasters still use Interlaced because it has some advantages when it comes to fast motion.  So if you plan to work in broadcasting (not over Internet) in a particular country, you will have to know the standards they allow you to use.

FYI, 60i is not 30p frame rate.  60i captures motion slightly differently than the frame rate used by 30p.  60i works at a higher frame rate than 30p, but each frame captured by 60i has less information than a frame captured by 30p.  So as stated in the previous link, each frame in a Progressive format is a full scan of the entire scene, while with Interlaced format it only captures for example odd or even lines alternatively during each "frame or better to state it as half-frame".

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/video-frame-rates-24p-25p-30p-60i.html

*Additionally, you will not be able to select 25/50p if your camera is set to NTSC region or 60hz flicker reduction mode in the camera settings, and vice versa for 24/30/60p if the camera is set to PAL/50hz.  Of course this depends on how the manufacturer designed the camera, but for the ones I've used this is the default.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

60i is interlaced which is effectively 30p. 

Depends, if it is 60i psf it is effectively 30p only the color resolution is a bit lower in comparison to native 30p

If it is "real" 60i its temporal resolution is as high as 60p's but its spatial resolution is 1/2 on the horizontal axis(only if there is motion)

i mean in terms of effective frame rate

well effective "frame" rate of 60i is still 60 frames per second, just that each frame contains only half the information interlaced. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein