Hoverboards get banned on Delta Airlines and British Airways, American airlines to follow suit

AlTech

So delta and British airways are banning the transport of hoverboards on their airplanes.

Hoverboards maybe on your holiday wish list, but at least two airlines are now keeping them grounded.

Delta Air Lines is banning the popular devices from their flights beginning Dec. 11 and American Airlines will prohibit them starting Saturday.

Southwest Airlines tells ABC News that they are reviewing their policy, but as of now the airline allows them "as long as the battery size requirements are met (the lithium-ion or lithium polymer battery cannot exceed 160 watt-hours)."

Delta said it is banning the "self-balancing personal transportation devices" in carry-on and checked baggage.

They say the "poorly labeled," powerful lithium-ion batteries powering them -- often exceeding government limits for being aboard aircraft -- pose a safety risk.

"Delta reviewed hoverboard product specifications and found that manufacturers do not consistently provide detail about the size or power of their lithium-ion batteries," the company said in its statement.

“While occurrences are uncommon, these batteries can spontaneously overheat and pose a fire hazard risk,” says the airline.

The company did not specify models or manufacturers, but rather banned all "balance gilders, hoverboards, and self-balancing boards of any type which use lithium or lithium-ion batteries."

Jet Blue and United Airlines do not accept hoverboards in carry-on or checked luggage.

I honestly am disgusted that people actually let the operation of these be legal. Seriously! I know someone who owns one. I've seen it work IRL and not explode but that doesn't mean that they won't in the future.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/delta-air-lines-banned-hoverboards/story?id=35699893

Leave comment below! 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Good Riddance.

Those things are dangerous.

yIAmAyu.png

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

People use hoverboards on planes? I hate those damn things, broke my elbow joint on one of those 2 weeks ago.

Li batteries are really dangerous

they shouldnt just ban hoverboards, but pretty much any transportation device that uses high power Li batteries

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

People use hoverboards on planes?

"carry on and check-in luggage"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why don't they tell that to Boeing and Airbus? I mean, so far the majority of battery fires on planes have been caused by the batteries on their planes.

This is corporate hypocrisy at its finest, ladies and gentlemen!

well fuck.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why don't they tell that to Boeing and Airbus? I mean, so far the majority of battery fires on planes have been caused by the batteries on their planes.

No, corporate hypocrisy would be banning hoverboards and then offering their own version that's "plan safe".

Airlines are not at fault that planes' Li batteries overheated a couple of times.

I think that this is the product of a couple of incidents that spoiled everything for everyone else.

No, corporate hypocrisy would be banning hoverboards and then offering their own version that's "plan safe".

Airlines are not at fault that planes' Li batteries overheated a couple of times.

I think that this is the product of a couple of incidents that spoiled everything for everyone else.

Bet you anything that this wouldn't have happened if 9/11 hadn't happened.

I honestly am disgusted that people actually let the operation of these be legal. Seriously! I know someone who owns one. I've seen it work IRL and not explode but that doesn't mean that they won't in the future.

The larger lithium batteries get the more dangerous they are. Things like phones are pretty safe, I don't see anybody monitoring battery temps or charging their phones in "fire resistant bags", but the Hobby/Radio Control people certainly do.

I imagine these swegways have pretty hefty batteries to power the large motors for long distances. At least they aren't banning them "because someone might fall off or hurt someone else", lithium fires are actually something to be worried about(especially since water doesn't put them out).

If a planes battery catches on fire the airline is held accountable for it. If someones baggage catches on fire then its now a shitstorm to figure out who gets accountable for it, why it wasn't prevented, was it an act of terrorism, etc.

If a planes battery catches on fire the airline is held accountable for it. If someones baggage catches on fire then its now a shitstorm to figure out who gets accountable for it, why it wasn't prevented, was it an act of terrorism, etc.

Boeing and Airbus are definitely terrorists, come on... :P

Hoverboards needs to have removable lithium battery packs to counter this ban. Everybody needs to be on the same page to be exact about dealing with lithium battery precautions to prevent high altitude airplane fire.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Boeing and Airbus are definitely terrorists, come on... :P

Airbus yes. Boeing is not. Boeing is an american company! 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Airbus yes. Boeing is not. Boeing is an american company! 

Browning is an american company but they make firearms that kill people. 

Don't discriminate against American Companies. They might sexually identify as terrorist organizations!

Check your Death to the West privilege! :P

I read this as "Motherboards get banned" not "Hoverboards get banned"

Had a bit of a "Huh?" moment there. :P

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

Why are they called hoverboards when it's not a fucking hoverboard wtf is wrong with people?! This is good, i think they should all be destroyed and banned until they change the dumb name! Idk why people like these things, they look cheap as shit!

Why are they called hoverboards when it's not a fucking hoverboard wtf is wrong with people?!

I believe it all started with Casey Neistat. I know he called it a hoverboard in his blogs a long time ago(earlier this year), and I noticed the term being used more and more since then. I prefer the term swegway, since its like a segway but with more sweg.

Also heres a weird thought: In Back to the Future, 2015 was the year that people had hoverboards. Its now 2015, we don't have true floating hoverboards, but we have tons of people calling them hoverboards and its a total trend. Coincidence? I think not.

The larger lithium batteries get the more dangerous they are. Things like phones are pretty safe, I don't see anybody monitoring battery temps or charging their phones in "fire resistant bags", but the Hobby/Radio Control people certainly do.

The RC batteries are more likely to catch on fire due to how quickly they are being charged and discharged, and the fact that they are multi-celled. If the monitoring failed, it could read a batteries voltage at 7 volts, thinking it still needs to be charged, but really one cell could be way over at 4.2 volts and the other near dead at 2.8 volts, causing a cell to exploded.

Quick charge 2.0 still isn't nearly as fast as the RC guys charge batteries, but at some point we will be back to the flurry of phone batteries exploding at the rate quick charging is going... When it comes to phones its all about the quality of the charging circuit, all the iPhones that were exploding were due to third party chargers.

no it isn't, the batteries on those planes have been through excessive amounts of testing and have extremely tight tolerances in respect to material quality and build quality. the shitty little hoverboard battery is made as cheaply as possible and has been documented to easily catch fire. and iirc they aren't even the same type of battery.

Air transport companies no longer transport large numbers of phone batterues due to a couple of accidents. Those things are crazy dangerous. A laptop batery has the same potential energy as a hand grenade for example.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Air transport companies no longer transport large numbers of phone batterues due to a couple of accidents. Those things are crazy dangerous. A laptop batery has the same potential energy as a hand grenade for example.

Source? 

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

I feel like the companies that make these "hoverboards" should be sued for false advertising because these are not fucking hoverboards.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB