Fujitsu Develops World's Smallest, Most Efficient 12W AC Adapter

Albert Song

Press Release: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/press-releases/2015/1209-01.html

9a.jpg

Fujitsu successfully developed wold smallest (15.6cc) 12w high efficiency AC Adapter, by some hard word on the circuitry, which made using GaN-HEMT as switching element possible.

GaN-HEMT is a switching element which has 1/10 of resistance compared to widely used Si-MOSFET. 

It's efficiency could reach 87% and charge a device in 1/3 time compared to conventional adapters.

Switching type AC/DC convertor uses a transformer and two switch element on each side of the transformer, and switch on/off each switch by a constant frequency.

When using GaN-HEMT as switching element, while it makes high speed switching possible, it also cause energy lose if the timing isn't right, especially in the second switch. Fujitsu developed a new circuitry which reduced the latency of control signal.

The prototype will be displayed in "EcoProducts 2015" 12/10 Tokyo BigSight. 

20151209-01b_tcm100-2221786.jpg

before:

20151209-01c_tcm100-2221789.jpg

After:

20151209-01d_tcm100-2221791.jpg

Expected to be available to market in 2017 

Efficiency: (5W and 12W versions)

20151209-01e_tcm100-2221793.jpg

Smaller tablet charger, yes?

12W is not enough for anything though...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

2.1A at 5V is 10.5W.

That's the standard for high power phone chargers and tablet chargers.

12W is plenty for these kinds of applications.

A standard USB 2 port is only like 5W max.

2.1A at 5V is 10.5W.

That's the standard for high power phone chargers and tablet chargers.

12W is plenty for these kinds of applications.

A standard USB 2 port is only like 5W max.

yes 5v 2a is standard for slow charging. quick chargers are around 20w.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

it's enough to run an FTP/SCP server. mine uses like 4W-5W when it's working and even less when idling

2A is not a slow charger.

1-1.5A is a slow charger.

EDIT: Qualcomm quick charge is only 24W

only double

Spoiler

As a non-electrician who recently electrocuted himself installing Christmas lights I don't understand the significance...

My phone charger is already that small and my tablet charger is only slightly bigger. If this could replace those power bricks on laptops then you got my attention.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

As a non-electrician who recently electrocuted himself installing Christmas lights I don't understand the significance...

My phone charger is already that small and my tablet charger is only slightly bigger. If this could replace those power bricks on laptops then you got my attention.

Efficiency. Less waste.

Spoiler

This way is more efficient. When you use power from the wall, the amount used is a smaller percentage of what you needed to take from the plug.

When you have a 80+ PSU, it means that if your PC needs 100W to run, only 120W (or a bit less with better than 80% efficiency) will be eaten from the wall, those 20W are a loss in the transformation between 110v (wall outlet) and the 3.3v, 5v and 12v your PC uses.

Now, everyone has a phone, which needs a power adapter (essentially a mini-PSU), that utilizes 5v power. If they were to be charging those phones with more efficient adapters, then we are looking at great power savings, as there are literally billions of devices that would be just fine with a 12W adapter (most phone chargers don't use over 10W).

This way is more efficient. When you use power from the wall, the amount used is a smaller percentage of what you needed to take from the plug.

When you have a 80+ PSU, it means that if your PC needs 100W to run, only 120W (or a bit less with better than 80% efficiency) will be eaten from the wall, those 20W are a loss in the transformation between 110v (wall outlet) and the 3.3v, 5v and 12v your PC uses.

Now, everyone has a phone, which needs a power adapter (essentially a mini-PSU), that utilizes 5v power. If they were to be charging those phones with more efficient adapters, then we are looking at great power savings, as there are literally billions of devices that would be just fine with a 12W adapter (most phone chargers don't use over 10W).

Comparing it to a PSU made everything click xD

thanks

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)