Why aren't servers/supercomputers water cooled?

Ok, so I'm not enormously knowledgeable about how server/supercomputer cooling works in comparison to standard workstation cooling, but wouldn't water cooling be a more effective method of cooling in the long run?

I have no doubt that it'd be hella expensive to set it up in the first place, and possible more expensive to maintain, but wouldn't water cooling mean servers could be more reliable in terms of hardware life and overheating?

Supercomputers, on the other hand, seem like they should be watercooled anyway so that you can beef up the hardware in the computer itself and essentially 'do better' at whatever it's supposed to do.

Someone teach me things about this! :D

"I'd like to own my own business when I grow up, what do you want to do?" - "I wanna be a MILF!"

Case: CM Storm Trooper (Black) CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz RAM: Mixed, 8GB GPU: ASUS GTX 970 Strix MoBo: Asus M5A97 PRO PSU: Seasonic M12 / 850W STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro (250GB) / Western Digital Blue (1TB)

Servers are supposed to be reliable. Watercooling adds another point of failure.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Failure. Servers often go days, weeks even months without physical attention - if you have a res leak, the first you're going to know about is when you get a ticket from a customer complaining their services is down. 

Maintenance can also be an issue though with AIO units, not so much. 

Space - water cooling loops take up a lot of space and space is a premium with blade servers and general high density cases that are designed to maximise storage and minimise footprint. 

However with that being said, I saw something recently about someone looking at implementing it. 

Servers are supposed to be reliable. Watercooling adds another point of failure.

^ This. It's quite unreliable for larger systems and air works fine (as long as you don't have to be in the same room ;) ).

Expense and failure rate.

Some super computers use extreme forms of nitrogen cooling and I think water unsure which one

I'd say it is a hell lot easier to replace a fan or a heatsink than replace a watercooled solution. If lets say it's just a fan failure then it probably can be replaced without even taking the server down. ( just my assumption I don't know much about servers :P)

Expense and failure rate.

Some super computers use extreme forms of nitrogen cooling and I think water unsure which one

they use phase change to cool water, the water will then chill the when it enters the cabinets.

so its still air cooled but the air is just very cold.

look at Cray´s ECOphlex liquid cooling for example.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Just submerge it in oil :)

Then what about the hard disks? because lbh, creating a server with ssd's would be verry expensive

And if you would want to upgrade the server or to replace a broken component, what would you do?

And I think that this applies to supercomputers too, not to mention how big the aquarium/ water tank would need to be

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Then what about the hard disks? because lbh, creating a server with ssd's would be verry expensive

And if you would want to upgrade the server or to replace a broken component, what would you do?

And I think that this applies to supercomputers too, not to mention how big the aquarium/ water tank would need to be

It was a joke referring to Slicks oil cooled rig...

You guys should check Toms visit in Oak Ridge National Lab, the article is saying that Titan is liquid nitrogen cooled.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

It was a joke referring to Slicks oil cooling rig...

I think that everybody noticed *sarcasm*

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

It would cost an enormous amount of money to design and then actually liquid cool a sever/super computer. Money that might as well be spent on improving the actual computer or infrastructer. I'm sure you could do it but it would be pointless from a monetary stand point.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Cost... Nuf said

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

and they are kept in air condition rooms, if they are run be a reputable company.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

A requirement given when running servers is high uptime.  Downtime for loop maintenance and or leak testing is completely unacceptable in enterprise environments.  Especially when you're already busy enough with other projects, the last thing a sysadmin wants to have to do is fix a water loop.  Trust me, I'm a sysadmin.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

I think the general idea that maintenance costs vs the performance gains not making sense for servers is pretty solid, its easier to air condition the rooms they are in. I can picture push fit systems that could solve this but they would have specific to each mother board

Super computers have been  usually by immersion. But Titans air cooling delvers air at 5.5C (42F) which kinda obviates the need for water cooling. I'd want the cores of my super computer liquid He cooled

a large server room is watercooled. The back exhaust of all the servers blows the hot air in an enclosure behind the servers. At the top of the enclosure r running chilled-water cooling coils, the ascending air gets cooled by those coils and flow's back in to the room to be used again to cool the server. 

Well you could have the hard drives in a separate room.

There are "Watercooled" supercomputers, or at least 1 in Germany, named SuperMUC. 

http://www.lrz.de/services/compute/supermuc/

http://www.lrz.de/presse/ereignisse/2010-12-13_supermuc-vertrag/warmwasserkuehlung/

imagine folding with something like that.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

a large server room is watercooled. The back exhaust of all the servers blows the hot air in an enclosure behind the servers. At the top of the enclosure r running chilled-water cooling coils, the ascending air gets cooled by those coils and flow's back in to the room to be used again to cool the server

So the server itself is air cooled. It's the room getting the water treatment. 

CPU:Intel 3770k Motherboard:Gigabyte z77x-ud5h GPU:Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti Ram:Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Storage:Crucial M4 128GB+Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case:Zalman Z11 Plus PSU:Corsair TX650 Cooler:Noctua NH-D14 Fans:Noctua NF-P12+ Silverstone AP123 Keyboard:Corsair K90 Mouse:Corsair M60 Monitors:Dell U2412M+U2312HM

So the server itself is air cooled. It's the room getting the water treatment. 

For the record air con is actually phase change