Live Forever ? GladOS ? What ? SIGN ME UP

givingtnt

I mean. it does sound really cool. but its going to take quite a while.. even they admit it : 

If it sounds like science fiction, and that's because it still is, with none of the technology required for Humai's business plan currently up and running. But that's not deterring the company's CEO, Josh Bocanegra, who says his team will resurrect their first human within 30 years.

shutterstock_225928441_web_1024.jpg

I would totally want to do that once I get old.
I mean just imagine the possibilities ! what if you were connected to the internet ? woah !

Source : http://www.sciencealert.com/a-new-start-up-wants-to-transfer-your-consciousness-to-an-artificial-body-so-you-can-live-forever

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

One day they woke me up...

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

oh great....

i think there was a movie about this.... oh yes.... its called Transcendence, featuring Johnny Depp....

and yes... uploading a human to the internet would prolly yield a result like in that movie..

humans are known to use, and abuse, their surroundings...

oh great....

i think there was a movie about this.... oh yes.... its called Transcendence, featuring Johnny Depp....

and yes... uploading a human to the internet would prolly yield a result like in that movie..

humans are known to use, and abuse, their surroundings...

I think it would take me like 20 minutes to go from page to page, to then realise I can probably relocate myself and do that forever.. and kill everything

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I'm ok with this, in fact all of you are: every time you fall asleep or loose consciousness you could basically wake up as a different person and find your previous physical body dead and it wouldn't feel at all different from waking up every morning.

Your consciousness literally dies everyday and resurrects in your dreams or in the morning.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm ok with this, in fact all of you are: every time you fall asleep or loose consciousness you could basically wake up as a different person and find your previous physical body dead and it wouldn't feel at all different from waking up every morning.

Your consciousness literally dies everyday and resurrects in your dreams or in the morning.

yeah. but the big question is.

do memories follow along ?

yeah. but the big question is.

do memories follow along ?

They should: after all they follow along when you wake up. The only weird aspect would be to wake up the virtual you while you're still conscious that's when you'd feel "That is not me" basically because we cannot experience anything outside our physical body at the present time. However once we learn to interconnect ourselves with biotechnology and we can basically have internal access to things like the internet (Like no computers just concentrate to make an in brain connection to a network) a back up consciousness would feel completely natural to us.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This and inside an android body... I'm gonna be eight feet tall and ripped.

TBBT

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I can see preserving ones brain, freeze it, repair it, transplant it to different body... As far as thoughts in computer, as you, wouldn't that be just mathematical and not that person? And saying resurrecting human. I can see ones thoughts being computerized but how would it function on it's own? Cause via software or "AI" it would just be simulation, with those thoughts? That would be copy and not you as in original and alive.
And what about soul :( ?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I can see preserving ones brain, freeze it, repair it, transplant it to different body... As far as thoughts in computer, as you, wouldn't that be just mathematical and not that person? And saying resurrecting human. I can see ones thoughts being computerized but how would it function on it's own? Cause via software or "AI" it would just be simulation, with those thoughts?

And what about soul :( ?

"soul" doesn't exist.

how ever  the consciousness would be gone if you put a human on a computer, as it would be a copy and not the transfer

Think of it this way - If they manage to get it to a point where we can replicate brains and consciousnesses in binary, digital-logic-based computers, we could technically also make photocopies of peoples' consciousnesses, and then comes the absolutely cosmic deluge of philosophical questions and thoughts - Is a computerized version of you still you, even if the original, organic version of you is still alive? If so, which is the real you? Are they both the real you? But one is a copy, the other is the original, so one must be a false shadow. And anyway, you're you, that computer isn't you, surely! But the computer is still conscious. But it's not human. But it's sentient. But it's not, really. But it passed a Turing Test. But the Turing Test is just a set of criteria to satisfy. Alan Turing died in 1954, when computers at the time consisted of vacuum tubes and mechanical relays. Computers couldn't even generate true random numbers back then. Sixty-two years later, things are different. You can easily program a logical, false AI computer to pass a Turing Test with flying colours, because the underlying code is a set of instructions that directly and constantly defines how a program will behave, and to what parameters within which it will operate. Emotions in AI are and will be similarly controlled.

Biological organisms are not the same. Our DNA instruction set builds us but it does not control us. We're purely and totally analogue organisms, we're affected by a huge array of analogue inputs and conditions, the extent to which even the greatest scientific minds have not scratched the surface. Nor have they discovered in entirety what our minds and our brains are truly capable. We don't operate on mathematical functions or logical gates. We operate irrationally and unpredictably, at least on a microscopic level, affected by chemical balances and outside influences we have no control over. We are not, and cannot, be digital computers and still retain the essence of what we are.

This is why I am fascinated by the study of what people would call the spirit or the soul. Most people will dismiss it as nonsense, which is fine, have fun going out and getting your brain downloaded into a machine. Emotions and philosphy should be dead to you if you wholeheartedly believe that there is nothing to our hearts and our minds but a load of synapses. Also, if that's the case, this entire post should be ignored along with most of human ethics and understanding. If emotions can be quantified by digital logic, we'll see. In my opinion, they can't - irrationality is a trait seen in biological organisms but impossible for binary machines, even quantum computers. In any case, the soul and its structure is a fascinating subject to me. Even if there is but a sliver of truth to the existence of the soul, it totally undermines, in my mind, the possibility of actually transferring a consciousness to a digital medium. Even just philosophically, the idea creates a huge slippery slope on so many levels, and I think that we should fully understand the nature of our minds, thoughts, and emotions before we go sticking them in a machine. Humanity should understand by now what happens when you start messing around with things about which we know next to nothing.

Just sayin'... It could turn out like the Cybermen in Doctor Who - A metal world, with metal men and metal thoughts.

And anyway, I want my fox lolis. You can't hug a data center. Data centers don't have warm, furry bodies to cuddle forevar. Fuck that shit.

"soul" doesn't exist.

how ever  the consciousness would be gone if you put a human on a computer, as it would be a copy and not the transfer

So you're saying there's no such thing as 'immortal essence of a human'? What do you mean?

Are we then just amalgamation of material chemicals that regulate our emotions and feels and brain waves being our consciousness?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Synths, Synths everywhere.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

So you're saying there's no such thing as 'immortal essence of a human'? What do you mean?

Are we then just amalgamation of material chemicals that regulate our emotions and feels and brain waves being our consciousness?

That's the problem I have with the whole thing. I can't imagine that humanity would have turned out the way that it did if philosophy, emotions, pain, everything that makes us human were of no worth, came from nothing and would come to nought. If spirituality and philosophy are dead to you (theoretically), then killing everyone you see for absolutely no reason should have no bearing on you or anyone else. But it does. It cuts people to the core. But if the soul doesn't exist, then killing everything and destroying the world should be totally fine, right? I mean, you're gonna die at some point anyway, right? May as well kill yourself, get it over with, and what would be wrong with taking out as many other people as you can with you, right? Because they're all stupid, they're going to die at some point and just cease to be, so their lives don't matter.

That's the non-sequitur that people of no belief are subject to that never escapes me. I mean, if the soul doesn't exist, if there is no post-mortal existence, if there is no different plane of existence, then this universe and everything in it, the ideas people have, the happy times you have with people you care for, should be so utterly worthless to you that you choose not to bother with them. It makes no sense. It makes absolutely no sense to me. There's gotta be something beyond this life, something, anything. We just don't know what, for sure.

In my opinion.

It's not living forever, it's a crude emulation of your consciousness, nothing more.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

They are doing it wrong. Human is just memories + as religion says soul. But in reality you, yes you are just what you remember. And if they somehow transfer these memories to computer and it can think. It will not be you. It will think as you, make decisions like you would but that will not be you. If you want to live forever, you have to find a way so your brain do not dies. If it dies that's it you are dead!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

No, screw that. I want them to create real-life fox girls in 30 years. Not stick us all in computers.

this a million times this

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

To bad it wouldn't be you, just a copy. So its irrelevant your still dead.

They are doing it wrong. Human is just memories + as religion says soul. But in reality you, yes you are just what you remember. And if they somehow transfer these memories to computer and it can think. It will not be you. It will think as you, make decisions like you would but that will not be you. If you want to live forever, you have to find a way so your brain do not dies. If it dies that's it you are dead!

These two comments are just what I was going to say. This will not let you live forever. Even if you copy your entire brain to a computer it will just be a copy. It would be an identical twin. The you that is reading this message and experiencing the world will still die and cease to exist. Your "twin" will still live on but you will not be there to experience it.

Or at least that's what I was going to say, until I read more of the article...

What does that mean in plain speak? While it sounds very much like the singularity (with our brains being uploaded into computers), basically the company just wants to cryogenically freeze your brain and put it back in another body once the technology is ready to hook it up and repair it.

"When the technology is fully developed we'll implant the brain into an artificial body," Bocanegra explained to Popular Science. "The artificial body functions will be controlled with your thoughts by measuring brain waves. As the brain ages we'll use nanotechnology to repair and improve cells. Cloning technology is going to help with this too."

So you're not uploaded into a computer. They will just cut your brain out, freeze it and then hook it up into a robot. Good luck with that buddies. We have haven't even figured out how to cryogenically freeze an entire human yet. Now you think you're going to do that but to only the brain, and then hook it up to a robot? Come on...

I did not read article just that part where consciousness and memory was transfered to computer. But as i said as long as your brain is alive you are alive :)

Ok now we just need to find out how to freeze brain without killing it not to mention Defrost :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

These two comments are just what I was going to say. This will not let you live forever. Even if you copy your entire brain to a computer it will just be a copy. It would be an identical twin. The you that is reading this message and experiencing the world will still die and cease to exist. Your "twin" will still live on but you will not be there to experience it.

So you're not uploaded into a computer. They will just cut your brain out, freeze it and then hook it up into a robot. Good luck with that buddies. We have haven't even figured out how to cryogenically freeze an entire human yet. Now you think you're going to do that but to only the brain, and then hook it up to a robot? Come on...

but we have been able to head transplants... which is a start,,,,