Ransomware and scammy tech support sites team up for a vicious one-two punch

Source #1: http://www.csoonline.com/article/3011061/security/ransomware-and-scammy-tech-support-sites-team-up-for-a-vicious-one-two-punch.html

Source #2: http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/tech-support-scams-redirect-nuclear-ek-spread-ransomware

Source #3: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2934472/your-pc-may-be-infected-inside-the-shady-world-of-antivirus-telemarketing.html

Symantec has seen a curious fusing of two pernicious online threats, which would cause a big headache if encountered by users.

Some websites offering questionable tech support services are also dishing up ransomware, which locks up a users files until they pay a fee to decrypt them.

The support scams involve trying to convince users they have a computer problem and then selling them overpriced software or support services to fix it. It's often done via a pop-up message that urges people to call a number or download software.

ZTIbycf.png

Symantec has seen tech support websites also trying to install ransomware in the background. Ransomware is malware that encrypts a computer's files and asks for a payment, often in bitcoin, for the decryption key to be released.

" Unfortunate victims could end up paying both the fake tech support scam for "help" and the ransomware to decrypt their files." wrote Deepak Singh, an associate threat analyst with Symantec, in a blog post

On one tech support site seen by Symantec, an iframe hidden on the page redirected to the Nuclear exploit kit, a popular one used to spread malware.

It's unclear if the people running tech supports scams are working with those who create and rent out of the use of exploit kits and associated infrastructure. But some tech support scams have experimented with ransomware, Singh wrote.

'Your PC may be infected!' Inside the shady world of antivirus telemarketing

j4DSSdV.jpg

Funny that, I got a call from "microsoft security services" voiced by a very indian sounding woman who said my email was downloading viruses to my computer causing corrupted files and it's been sending error reports to their servers. 

Asked her a barrage of questions, what kind of virus, how much data is corrupted, what email address downloaded it, how long ago did this start, she couldn't answer any of them, just kept insisting I went on their god knows what website, says the whole thing would only take 2 minutes at most.

Told her I have at least 2 terabytes of storage, you physically cannot access and analyse that much data in 2 minutes. Laughed and hung up.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I act like. Mum is that you???

Magical Pineapples

I can't believe anyone falls for this... :mellow:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

How about I go over there and kick some ass. I'll show them ransomware after am done with them yeee.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I like trolling these guys when they call. Sometimes I act like I cant speak English, sometimes I just play stupid.

My favourite is when they say "we're calling about your computer".

You reply with "Oh! My Mac?"

They inevitably say "Yes! That's the one!"

At which point you explain you don't have a Mac.

"SYMANTEC BLOCK HUNDREDS..." Looking at the grammar, I suspect this was created in India. Perpetuation of the scam! Ransomware, tech support to fix it, and more software to prevent it!

I see crap like this while using my consoles especially the Xbox one edge browser which i know is fake. the fake flash downloads/ Java & that annoying beeping sound telling you , you've been infected call the # now for help -_- like a console can get infected.

I too get calls from these Indian sounding folks that apparently are with Microsoft. "You have a problem with your Windows installation, please pay $xx so we can fix it for you." and I'm like "Uhu, uhu. Well I feel terribly sorry for you but it appears your own systems have a problem because I run OS X. Have a nice day." Trolling them is funny as fuck.

Ye ole' train

I too get calls from these Indian sounding folks that apparently are with Microsoft. "You have a problem with your Windows installation, please pay $xx so we can fix it for you." and I'm like "Uhu, uhu. Well I feel terribly sorry for you but it appears your own systems have a problem because I run OS X. Have a nice day." Trolling them is funny as fuck.

Driving them to the point of rage (ergo swearing) is even funnier. (Some of the stuff I say only to them because the are fucking scumbags trying to steal from people).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I like trolling these guys when they call. Sometimes I act like I cant speak English, sometimes I just play stupid.

I genuinely once received a call from 'Microsoft Support' claiming my OC had reported a virus to them while I was in the process of installing a new motherboard and CPU. I told my mates to shush and put it on loudspeaker so they could all listen.

I allowed him to reel of his bull shit pretending to be clueless until he asked me to install teamviewer at which point I told him that would be difficult as my PC was in pieces on my desk in front of me.

He then tried to tell me I was lying and he knew my PC was switched on as he was receiving virus alerts from it while we were speaking.

At this point I placed my phone on my desk then my mates and I all laughed at him until he hung up.

It still took him about 3 minutes to hang up though, he was still shouting about how he was going to lock my system so I couldn't access my data and other threats.

I genuinely wish I had recorded that conversation, it was brilliant.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I can't believe anyone falls for this... :mellow:

The scammers mostly target elderly people who don't know anything about PC's. It is really sad. :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I'm still waiting for my time to troll one of these scammers, they never call me (luckily and sadly)

I trolled one of these fuckers so hard its baaaad I made them rethink their life at the end it was soooooo good

the douchebag in me came out it was amazing :D

My friend claims to have done this for telemarketers and scammers alike, I don't know if he's lying.

You: "Sir, do you need fire dept, ambulance, or police?"

Them: "This is Bob with TechScam"

You: "Sir, what is your emergency?"

Them: "I'm calling because your PC is infected"

You: "Sir, is anyone in immediate danger?"

Them: "Your PC is infected with ScaryVirusV9001"

You: "Sir, this is 911, did you know fraudulent 911 calls are against the law and the penalty is *research this before hand, find out jail terms*"

Them: "..."

You: "Sir, we have traced this call and have forward it to the state police, have a nice day"

*click*