Nvidia introduces a new Gameworks feature in Just Cause 3 : Waveworks

Mr_Troll

Just Cause 3’s WaveWorks Detailed; NVIDIA: No Other Solution Can Achieve This Realism

It turns out that Avalanche Studios has chosen to implement NVIDIA WaveWorks. After all, Just Cause 2 was the first game to use CUDA Water and for Just Cause 3 they renewed the partnership with NVIDIA. According to NVIDIA, this solution is the most advanced ever seen in games:

…a next-generation water simulation with capabilities far beyond those seen in Just Cause 2, and far beyond those found in other games.

Running on the CPU on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, WaveWorks is a full multi-resolution spectral simulation solution, capable of simulating any sea state from Beaufort 1 to Beaufort 12, with a high level of surface detail, right down to centimeter-scale micro-ripples.

It is these unique capabilities that have enabled Avalanche to realize their vision of a rich and ever-changing ocean surface that’s also capable of affecting the physics of water-borne objects, such as swimmers, jet-skis, other vessels, and the planes and cars you’ll inevitably crash into the ocean during your in-game antics.

No other solution can achieve this level of realism or scalability, either on a GPU or CPU, making WaveWorks the go-to choice for Avalanche, and for Gaijin Entertainment, who recently added Waveworks into War Thunder, their popular World War II free-to-play action game.

In Just Cause 3, WaveWorks’ capabilities enable boats to skip across waves, water to crash on shores, and every body of water to be enhanced and improved immeasurably.

While all the versions of Just Cause 3 enjoy the CPU simulation, only PC users can enable the GPU powered Water Detail setting. This tweaks things like the fidelity of waves and the visibility of certain effects, such as underwater God Rays as seen in the screenshot below.

just-cause-3-underwater-635x357.png

According to NVIDIA, enhancing WaveWorks can cost up to 16 FPS on the Very High setting. If you need to get some performance back you can go down to High; any further and the foam effects are disabled.

just-cause-3-water-performance-635x384.p

There’s another setting that you can tweak in Just Cause 3 PC, and that’s Water Tessellation. When enabled, this adds tessellated detail to waves, ripples and wakes for a cost of about 4 frames on GTX 900 cards and 7 frames on GTX 700 cards.

just-cause-3-water-tessellation-performa

Just Cause 3 WaveWorks, Water Detail & Water Tessellation Footage:

So that is why amd users have problem with the flickering water in JC3. Its tesselated. What a surprise.

Source:http://wccftech.com/just-cause-3-waveworks-detailed-nvidia-no-solution-can-achieve-this-realism/

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/just-cause-3-graphics-and-performance-guide#just-cause-3-water-detail

Nvidias youtube channel

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Why is nVidia's tech so fucking demanding? FFS!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

It's a cool new render tool, but who cares? It still doesn't support any kind of multi-gpu config.

I'll start caring about that game once the bring multi-gpu support.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Gotta say, I love the developments that Nvidia are working on but it's seriously destroying the industry as it's not compatible across vendors and I can't help but feel like it's somewhat deliberate. 

Almost like paying of a dev. for an exclusive launch - I'm looking at you Tomb Raider. 

So that is why amd users have problem with the flickering water in JC3. Its tesselated. What a surprise.

I don't think the problem can be pinpointed to just this one thing.

Just wondering, in JC3, do you find yourself in the water often? Seems like this tech is just wasted, since in-water gameplay has little to no role in these kinds of games.

It looks ugly as fuck >.>

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Hahaha, Battlefield 4's water looks way better (above it,) the waves are super cool (SYNCED TO EVERY PLAYER ON A SERVER! THAT'S COOL!) and they're way more functional than this. And that's a game from 2013!

NVidia, shut your whore mouth. Just ask Frostbite 3 if you want good water.

I used to be quite active here.

How is a Gameworks feature running on AMD consoles?

Gameworks is trash, it obliterates fps for relatively little graphical return.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Simulating light water and wind is where games need to go to up the bar, graphical improvements have diminishing returns, it's got to be animation and simulation that carry them forward now, sucks that Nvidia is doing it all though and potentially locking it out

It says in the post, kind of like PhysX, it runs on the CPU when there's no NVidia GPU present.

Hahaha, Battlefield 4's water looks way better (above it,) the waves are super cool (SYNCED TO EVERY PLAYER ON A SERVER! THAT'S COOL!) and they're way more functional than this. And that's a game from 2013!

NVidia, shut your whore mouth.

I will say Dice knows how to make pretty games, of course is EA really better than Nvidia........cuz I really doubt most people view EA favorably more so than team green, that's like asking if Comcast or Time Warner is a better company as both suck.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I will say dice knows how to make pretty games, of course is EA really better than Nvidia........cuz I really doubt most people view EA favorably more so than team green, that's like asking if Comcast or Time Warner is a better company as both suck.

DICE is a developer, NVidia is a graphics processor/mobile CPU manufacturer.. I don't see your point.

I would say that EA is more reputable than 2014+ NVidia, lying about GPU specs (the whole 970 debacle, lying about specs then nerfing .5 GB of its VRAM,) tanking performance in games using Gameworks, shipping out thousands of Shield TVs ready to fail, (recently) poor drivers.. So much. What has EA done? Made a few video games that some people didn't like?

About my original post, I was comparing the water in Frostbite 3 to the water from Waveworks or whatever.. In 2013 DICE had (almost) perfected water, water waves, water physics ect.. Even down to thousands of waves on one multiplayer server being synced up between every player (which is impressive!)

What did NVidia do? Godrays under water?? What else?

DICE is a developer, NVidia is a graphics processor/mobile CPU manufacturer.. I don't see your point.

I would say that EA is more reputable than 2014+ NVidia, lying about GPU specs (the whole 970 debacle, lying about specs then nerfing .5 GB of its VRAM,) tanking performance in games using Gameworks, shipping out thousands of Shield TVs ready to fail, (recently) poor drivers.. So much. What has EA done? Made a few video games that some people didn't like?

Shield handhelds with burning batteries :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

EA owns Dice and forces them to cut content to sell as dlc, my point is corporations on average are shitty, EA has hired false protesters to generate hype thus making the industry as a whole look like a fool, also EA lies constantly about their products so.......

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

EA owns Dice and forces them to cut content to sell as dlc, my point is corporations on average are shitty, EA has hired false protesters to generate hype thus making the industry as a whole look like a fool, also EA lies constantly about their products so.......

Do we want Nvidia to be like EA? Answer is no. I like the products and dislike the company (980, 980 Ti, 950 - all great cards for what they are intended). Hell, I love the 750 Ti and the amount of power it delivers for the price and power

It says in the post, kind of like PhysX, it runs on the CPU when there's no NVidia GPU present.

WaveWorks is just an Nvidia effect. PhysX has two versions: one being a collision engine like Havok and the other adds extra effects to games. The collision one will run on the CPU no matter what, the other will run on the GPU if you have an Nvidia card (and you didn't mess with any of the options in Nvidia control panel).

WaveWorks running on the CPU is a bad idea, and if it's currently enabled on consoles then that might be why the game is having performance issues there.

Lmao, that's exactly what the Xbone needs to be wasting runtime on, simulating water physics.

Jesus the thing barely has enough horses to run its own OS, let alone a game and water physics on top.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Gotta say, I love the developments that Nvidia are working on but it's seriously destroying the industry as it's not compatible across vendors and I can't help but feel like it's somewhat deliberate. 

Almost like paying of a dev. for an exclusive launch - I'm looking at you Tomb Raider. 

Gameworks works on both CPUs and GPUs. What is so hard to understand.

And why do so many people complain about it? It's getting so damn annoying. You guys want better graphical fidelity with no performance hit? And then , there's the fact that the game doesn't perform badly because of Gameworks, it performs badly because of the devs which didn't have time to properly finish the game, probably due to the publisher's demands.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

And why do so many people complain about it? It's getting so damn annoying. You guys want better graphical fidelity with no performance hit? And then , there's the fact that the game doesn't perform badly because of Gameworks, it performs badly because of the devs which didn't have time to properly finish the game, probably due to the publisher's demands.

Can you name 3 games released in the last 12 months that have had GWs and haven't had performance issues?

No one is saying we don't want it, were saying we want it to work without destroying the FPS to a point where the game is unplayable, otherwise it kinda defeats the point of having it, does it not?

Define "works".

You need to remember, these are game developers. They aren't exactly the best programmers.

Define "works".

You need to remember, these are game developers. They aren't exactly the best programmers.

They should be good programmers. Or at least there should be some good programmers among them,

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

They should be good programmers. Or at least there should be some good programmers among them,

If most game developers were good programmers, we wouldn't have games like Fallout 4 that look the way that they do but run like garbage.

If most game developers were good programmers, we wouldn't have games like Fallout 4 that look the way that they do but run like garbage.

Be careful before you anger the Fallout cheerleaders.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Can you name 3 games released in the last 12 months that have had GWs and haven't had performance issues?

It's funny because all of the games with GW have performance issues with and without NVidia GPUs.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. Though, the protesters thing is true, but really most all game publishers generate hype artificially somehow (look at Kotaku :/ )

Be careful before you anger the Fallout cheerleaders.

I really wish Fallout 4 either looked better, or ran better. It looks pretty good for its engine (I could tell lots of smaller textures when playing Skyrim, I don't see that as much in Fo4) but it still runs like SHIT (Skyrim runs better with dozens more things happening on screen!)