EMP Proof PC?

TIM74UK
Go to solution Solved by MichelleS,

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/Tempest

However, this tech isn't permitted for consumer use. 

of all the games in the world... you pick minesweeper lol  :lol:

1- Does not require internet

2- Requires thinking, something that will be important in a warring world.

3- It's fun 

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

1- Does not require internet

2- Requires thinking, something that will be important in a warring world.

3- It's fun 

Agree on all points apart from the last one, but hey each to their own :)

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

If it comes to that, I think my PC would be my least concern, besides, if they detonate EMP then there will be no power anyway, and you will have no fridge for food, no cooker, no lighting, 

Also, you are probably at war.......

doubt you are gonna fire up counter strike

Gotta get that GE grind. Plus CS is good for spray control ;)

Gotta get that GE grind. Plus CS is good for spray control ;)

Shame it doenst help ACTUAL shooting 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The system name would have to be 'The Cockroach' lol 

After all aren't they supposed to be able to survive a nuke?

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

The system name would have to be 'The Cockroach' lol

After all aren't they supposed to be able to survive a nuke?

I believe Mythbusters busted that one, the roaches can endure more radiation than a human, but will also die from the radiation of an atomic bomb, if I remember that all correctly.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I believe Mythbusters busted that one, the roaches can endure more radiation than a human, but will also die from the radiation of an atomic bomb, if I remember that all correctly.

hahahaha those guys... honestly :)

Then just perhaps 'The EMPPPC' :)

Hm...an interesting thought experiment.

As people have mentioned, an EMP burst would essentially send a massive surge of current through the power grid near where it happened, which would just fry most any electronics plugged in to it.  There's nothing you can do about that short of having probably the world's largest surge protector, which would be prohibitively expensive.

As for protection from the direct effects of an EMP--a massive electric/magnetic field flux--that's a bit more possible.  But no less impractical.  You'd need a way to more or less completely isolate your system from external electric and magnetic fields, which would require some metal with very high conductivity and permeability.  High conductivity/permeability --> subtance can react quickly to external electromagnetic fields and create one inside itself --> due to resulting charge/dipole distributions, this can cancel out large portions of the magnetic field inside a hollow cavity in the object, which you want, because a huge magnetic or electric flux through your system could generate large currents in the circuitry even without being connected to the wall socket, which could ruin everything yet again (if close enough to an EMP detonation).

I don't know enough about typical strengths of EMP blasts or typical effectiveness of EM shielding, but if you wanted to be fully EMP-proof, you'd probably need a lot of, probably, iron, copper, nickel, and other highly conductive materials to shield your rig with.  The cost would probbly be significant--building a solid metal cage of multiple different metals (probably layered) with the right dimensions for your computer isn't cheap or easy.  And it might not be guaranteed to work without a hell of a lot of shielding, if you wanted the compuer to survive the direct effects of an EMP.  That said: it's not impossible.  Just very improbably and impractical.  And kind of fun to think about.

Addendum: some quick Googling (and me remembering my physics classes) lads me to conclude that a series of thin layers, rather than a single very thick one, would be far more effective.  But you'd need to make the layers out of a few different materials for maximum efficiency, since different metals are better at shielding from different frequencies of EM radiation, some are better against static fields, some are better against changing fields, etc etc.  This would again increase the time/effort/cost associated with building the case, as you have to nest layers inside layers inside layers.  With enough layers, you should be pretty safe, but I don't know how many layers that would take.

Build a giant tinfoil hat for your PC. If you're someone who is actually worried about an EMP blast, I assume you already have. You might even believe it would work. :P

Satellite connection. Change of globe wide EMP is slims with modern technology.

I like that answer.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

My guess is if you had a UPS with good grounding the pc MIGHT make it :D

Just download emp resist pro from thisisascam.com

100% virus free!

*insert sketchy pc optimizer pro salesman voice*

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Faraday Cage + Lead Box + Gold Box + No Active power to the computer.

Actually not that simple. Satellites have farady cages and yet their maximum litography (for now) is 65 nm (andvmost of them are dtill on 185 nm). Anything bellow that and they fry.

True it is pretty much constant bombardment by solar radiation but a strong enough nuke could render the system useless. Best bet would be a reinforced bunker underground. Like 20 meters bellow should suffice (as in a number pullet out of my ass based on the fact that 20 meters is a lot of rock and an emp would be troubled to cross it.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Hmmm , large Get a PC cages in eBay then put your PC in there then , spray paint inside the cage with primer.

Heil Linus

Wrap your pc with tinfoil and now watch it burn from the inside. Lol

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

so I'm getting that I need to protect a power source as well as the pc.... 

and absolutely it would be about information store....

If the fit hit the shan then information would be very very valuable....

Only way I know to store data that's truly safe is actually good old optical media.  HDDs, SSDs etc all can be wiped by intense enough fields I think but optical should be safe

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It'd help to have the smallest PC possible, something smaller than a wrist watch. Those aren't big enough to receive the EMP and be fried, so that along with probably some lead plates making a large box around it would probably survive. It would also be essential that the PC is not plugged in or turned on or whatever.

Only way I know to store data that's truly safe is actually good old optical media.  HDDs, SSDs etc all can be wiped by intense enough fields I think but optical should be safe

Yep, optical is physically etched into the plastic that makes the disc, so only an actual bomb would hurt anything on it.

Yep, optical is physically etched into the plastic that makes the disc, so only an actual bomb would hurt anything on it.

True of manufactured DVD's but not true of DVDR or RW, they use a kind of ink in between two plates of plastic. The data is etched into that. which is why DVDR /RW degrade over time.

Even the so called archive disks suffer from ink bleed, where the material acts as a liquid over time and causes the data to corrupt.

But if manufactured in a proper press then sure you are right.