EMP Proof PC?

TIM74UK
Go to solution Solved by MichelleS,

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/Tempest

However, this tech isn't permitted for consumer use. 

Just download emp resist pro from thisisascam.com

100% virus free!

*insert sketchy pc optimizer pro salesman voice*

while you're at it, just download a few more gigs of ram!

- snip-

while you're at it, just download a few more gigs of ram!

What's really going to blow your noodle is in the not too distant future this is exactly what you will be able to do with your nice consumer grade 3D printer.

:)

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

What's really going to blow your noodle is in the not too distant future this is exactly what you will be able to do with your nice consumer grade 3D printer.

:)

taking "building" a PC to the next level... I wouldn't even trust anything I'd print to not be faulty!

taking "building" a PC to the next level... I wouldn't even trust anything I'd print to not be faulty!

Well wait a little longer and the pc's will be redesigning themselves... Dun Dun Daaaaaa :)

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

True of manufactured DVD's but not true of DVDR or RW, they use a kind of ink in between two plates of plastic. The data is etched into that. which is why DVDR /RW degrade over time.

Even the so called archive disks suffer from ink bleed, where the material acts as a liquid over time and causes the data to corrupt.

But if manufactured in a proper press then sure you are right.

Not sure if that's true or not but it's not the point; I would just like to point out that it is possible for both your statement and mine to be simultaneously true :) (assuming an emp wouldn't cause degradation of the ink at an increased rate)

Also, that's what mdisc is for :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Not sure if that's true or not but it's not the point; I would just like to point out that it is possible for both your statement and mine to be simultaneously true :) (assuming an emp wouldn't cause degradation of the ink at an increased rate)

Also, that's what mdisc is for :)

I really really loved my minidisc player.... the quality of a digital format with the nostalgia of a tape based walkman :)

I really really loved my minidisc player.... the quality of a digital format with the nostalgia of a tape based walkman :)

That's cool, but I meant mdisc :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah, no, you can't really do that. The EMP propagates through the power lines into your pc. An unplugged all-metal laptop would be best.

But riddle me this, friend, what would you do with a pc with no internet?

So, MacBook?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

That's cool, but I meant mdisc  :)

You know what I know this is actually super relevant to the topic and thank you for that.... but I want to understand the marketing behind this...

Archived data integrity guaranteed for 1000 years.... What if it fails in like 799 years... who is going to be there to ask for a refund? lol  :D

If it comes to that, I think my PC would be my least concern, besides, if they detonate EMP then there will be no power anyway, and you will have no fridge for food, no cooker, no lighting, 

Also, you are probably at war.......

doubt you are gonna fire up counter strike

Yes, rather you will fire up a counterstrike. 

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Yes, rather you will fire up a counterstrike. 

Unless it's not a war scenario.  Sure a nuke detonated at very high altitude creates an EMP that could take out an area roughly the size of the US (iirc) but I think the bigger threat (since it's probably more likely and not controllable by humans) is the Sun.  It produces coronal mass ejections (CME) every now and then, and if we just happen to be very unlikely and a particularly strong one is sent straight at us, we'll have a few days tops of warning to do something about it and I'm not sure what we even can do.  There was a particularly bad one in the 1800s and it took down all the telegraph system for the whole country iirc, which at the time was an inconvenience but nothing too big really.  If that same thing happened to day, we'd be back to the stone age.  It would be mass chaos, anarchy, and basically the apocalypse as all power, and access to data (if not the data itself) was lost for a minimum of several months, if not years.

You know what I know this is actually super relevant to the topic and thank you for that.... but I want to understand the marketing behind this...

Archived data integrity guaranteed for 1000 years.... What if it fails in like 799 years... who is going to be there to ask for a refund? lol  :D

Well that's the idea - it's good enough that who ever buys it is going to be satisfied for their lifetime at least :)

Unless it's not a war scenario.  Sure a nuke detonated at very high altitude creates an EMP that could take out an area roughly the size of the US (iirc) but I think the bigger threat (since it's probably more likely and not controllable by humans) is the Sun.  It produces coronal mass ejections (CME) every now and then, and if we just happen to be very unlikely and a particularly strong one is sent straight at us, we'll have a few days tops of warning to do something about it and I'm not sure what we even can do.  There was a particularly bad one in the 1800s and it took down all the telegraph system for the whole country iirc, which at the time was an inconvenience but nothing too big really.  If that same thing happened to day, we'd be back to the stone age.  It would be mass chaos, anarchy, and basically the apocalypse as all power, and access to data (if not the data itself) was lost for a minimum of several months, if not years.

Usually thought, if an EMP is involved, it is most likely a war scenario.

I remember reading about the CMEs,

Basically you would have to put all your electronics in your basement and seal them in sheet metal.

But even that could only do so much.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Usually thought, if an EMP is involved, it is most likely a war scenario.

I remember reading about the CMEs,

Basically you would have to put all your electronics in your basement and seal them in sheet metal.

But even that could only do so much.

Yeah, assuming we had enough warning, I think if all electronics (and I mean all the servers, not just home PCs - we're talking world stock market and banking info, the collected knowledge of human kind, etc.) were shielded and the power grid was temporarily shut down during the "storm", we should be OK, but even that is a major upset.  A lot better though... (still hard to do though! :wacko: )

Satellite connection. Change of globe wide EMP is slims with modern technology.

No idea where I read this but someone theorized that if nukes were used in a war it could potentially wipe out most electronics on Earth. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

No idea where I read this but someone theorized that if nukes were used in a war it could potentially wipe out most electronics on Earth. 

yeah a nuke detonated at high altitude can basically EMP a large country, so it wouldn't take many to do all of earth

And most living things along so would defeat point of computers anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You could have a diesel gen set. Don't need any electronics in one if those. Also run your house on old school electronics with no circuit boards.

The thing was written in a way that made it seem the effects of the EMP were much farther reaching then the effects of the nuke, almost global for a local detonation.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

you're best just printing off all valuable information and keeping it in a massive binder. ''survival almanac'' i guess.

make weapons, tools, bags, learn how to farm and hunt, and from there start working on creating an underground cage to protect electronics and valuable materials. 

when i think EMP i dont think like some cool spy tool. im imagining the whole solar flare meteor crash blah blah that puts the whole world to a halt. humanity will be at war, in a state of crisis, you're better off preserving non-electronic means as well, since they will be of very little use untill there are enough of the new ones to interact with them. keep in mind it wont take humanity a whole 200+ years to get back on its feet, we already have 5Ghz consumer proccesors, super computers, wireless invisible and inaudible means of communicating (wifi/radio) and understand how those thigns work. i'd imagine 20-50 years to get back to where we are today.

unless ofcourse non-electric machines are fucked up too. in which case DIS GON BE FUN

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

BKB

Any DOTA players in here?

i gotchu bro

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k l Mobo: msi z97 pcmate l GPU: MSI Gtx 970 4gb OC l PSU: CM V550 l RAM: RipJaws 8gb l Case: NZXT H440 l Cooling: CM Hyper 212x l Storage: Crucial mx100 128gb ssd l OS: Windows 7 l Keyboard: CM storm quickfire ultimate(Blue) l Mouse: Razor Mamba l Display: Some shitty samsung monitor

It's like Vault tec. They promise to protect you and are legally bound to do so, but when their services are actually used there won't be any system in place to enforce the laws that prevent them from experimenting, so they do.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Almost all living things. Please, life survived a very large asteroid impact, you think we could wipe it out with our nukes? No chance. At most we'd wipe out a significant portion of large animals and predators (due to bio-accumulation of toxic/radioactive substances).

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Almost all living things. Please, life survived a very large asteroid impact, you think we could wipe it out with our nukes? No chance. At most we'd wipe out a significant portion of large animals and predators (due to bio-accumulation of toxic/radioactive substances).

Meteorite impact (asteroid is incorrect term) is very different from nukes to start. Nuke detonated in upper athmostphere would cause wide damage to most and also almost all (same thing...) living things. But in local area only. Radioactive particles would spread like in nuclear power plant explosions. But their effectiveness would be limited on how weather is around the area. How and where wind blows etc.

With meteorite impact and bigger volcano eruptions you don't have same kind of wide and local poisoning thing. Immediate are would be decimated by toxic gasses, shock wave, heat, molten rock and ash. But after while that would settle down. Bigger problem is ash cloud. That would eventually travel to atmosphere and block UV radiation and most of sun light. Thats the cause of living things to die more effectively than toxic itself.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Meteorite impact (asteroid is incorrect term) is very different from nukes to start. Nuke detonated in upper athmostphere would cause wide damage to most and also almost all (same thing...) living things. But in local area only. Radioactive particles would spread like in nuclear power plant explosions. But their effectiveness would be limited on how weather is around the area. How and where wind blows etc.

With meteorite impact and bigger volcano eruptions you don't have same kind of wide and local poisoning thing. Immediate are would be decimated by toxic gasses, shock wave, heat, molten rock and ash. But after while that would settle down. Bigger problem is ash cloud. That would eventually travel to atmosphere and block UV radiation and most of sun light. Thats the cause of living things to die more effectively than toxic itself.

There's life living thousands of meters under water, getting sustenance from methane vents and geothermal heat. Nothing we can do could wipe that out.