EMP Proof PC?

TIM74UK
Go to solution Solved by MichelleS,

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/Tempest

However, this tech isn't permitted for consumer use. 

Given all the rhetoric of late I wondered what would be needed to build a PC that could withstand an EMP burst?

Are we talking lead lined cases?? 

PC's in Wire Cages??

What's your thoughts :)

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

Build a nuclear bunker and put a PC in?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Wrap it around mulipule EMP coil failsafe wire ?

(⌐■_■) 

Yeah, no, you can't really do that. The EMP propagates through the power lines into your pc. An unplugged all-metal laptop would be best.

But riddle me this, friend, what would you do with a pc with no internet?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Faraday Cage

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

you'd need to put your pc inside a farraday cage, preferably grounded to earth as well as you can to safely dispose of the charge.

and with farraday cage i mean pretty intense farraday cage, and 100% no holes trough it, so no power cords, no breathing holes, no anything.

If it comes to that, I think my PC would be my least concern, besides, if they detonate EMP then there will be no power anyway, and you will have no fridge for food, no cooker, no lighting, 

Also, you are probably at war.......

doubt you are gonna fire up counter strike

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

you'd need to put your pc inside a farraday cage, preferably grounded to earth as well as you can to safely dispose of the charge.

and with farraday cage i mean pretty intense farraday cage, and 100% no holes trough it, so no power cords, no breathing holes, no anything.

yup ... definitly a big cage and a generator in it

He would have previously downloaded over 5000 hours of (What we know!) and use it like that... Also he would have a super power solar charging energy bank!

faraday cage sounds good but doesnt protect the wall power

and 5000h of discovery channel research stuff would be nice to learn everything usefull while living in a fallout shelter

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

....what would you do with a pc with no internet?

There is another problem: if (or when) EMP strikes power lines will go down- I can use PC without an internet for many things, but definitely I can't use it without electricity... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

so I'm getting that I need to protect a power source as well as the pc.... 

and absolutely it would be about information store....

If the fit hit the shan then information would be very very valuable....

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

a fine mesh around the whole thing would work... if the EMP wouldn't result in a huge power surge in your mains. Then no amount of surge protection would help (we are talking nuclear weapon-sized EMP,right?)

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

not possible imo...

How do you put everything, peripherals and all in a Faraday cage?

It'll be easier to build a house (with its own electrical generation system) within a faraday cage...

not possible imo...

How do you put everything, peripherals and all in a Faraday cage?

It'll be easier to build a house (with its own electrical generation system) within a faraday cage...

I saw documentary not so long back about a guy that actually did this.

It was amazing... he even demoed what happens to the radio when he opens and closes his door :)

He would have previously downloaded over 5000 hours of (What we know!) and use it like that... Also he would have a super power solar charging energy bank!

Wikipedia is more hours than that, mate.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Still 60% of it is a complete lie xD

That much of it? surely not.

Anti EMP Dongle.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

They proved that the best consumer Faraday cage would be a grounded metal trash can, with the lid sealed.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

They proved that the best consumer Faraday cage would be a grounded metal trash can, with the lid sealed.

Though I wonder if there was a non heat conductive material.... since it might get a tad hot given the conditions it is likely to experience.

Satellite connection. Change of globe wide EMP is slims with modern technology.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah, no, you can't really do that. The EMP propagates through the power lines into your pc. An unplugged all-metal laptop would be best.

Minesweeper!

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Minesweeper!

of all the games in the world... you pick minesweeper lol  :lol: