EMP Proof PC?

TIM74UK
Go to solution Solved by MichelleS,

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/Tempest

However, this tech isn't permitted for consumer use. 

If it comes to that, I think my PC would be my least concern, besides, if they detonate EMP then there will be no power anyway, and you will have no fridge for food, no cooker, no lighting, 

Also, you are probably at war.......

doubt you are gonna fire up counter strike

True. 

However when I think about shielding a PC from an EMP, I'm thinking more in terms of e-books and how-to videos on how to live off the land, make basic tools, how to properly store food without refrigeration etc etc. 

A laptop with a solar charger in a Faraday cage may be a very useful thing if you store all that kind of info on it.  You can use it to look such things up or to educate people who never bothered to acquire any of the skills needed to live in a post-EMP situation.

There's life living thousands of meters under water, getting sustenance from methane vents and geothermal heat. Nothing we can do could wipe that out.

You are still getting too picky on wording. How different your "almost all" is from my "most"? Imo your implicates more deaths than mine.

And by this we are getting way off topic.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You are still getting too picky on wording. How different your "almost all" is from my "most"? Imo your implicates more deaths than mine.

And by this we are getting way off topic.

Most depends greatly on how you measure it. By biomass, # of individual living organisms, # of species and so on. I think we would wipe out most species of animal, and it would be noticeable in the fossil record in the future as another mass die off, but it would be survived by enough species to have another explosion of diversity afterwards. Would be quite cool to be able to see what would actually evolve after that. Anyway, yeah, we're off topic by a mile.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

There's life living thousands of meters under water, getting sustenance from methane vents and geothermal heat. Nothing we can do could wipe that out.

That just sounds like you're offering this as a challenge for someone to accept :P

I bet we could if we tried... lots of poison or something

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You would have to have an all-steel case and no conductive part of a component could be touching the case. It would mean: -1. No IO shield

-2. No GPU

-3. No rubber case feet

-4. PC plugged into surge protector

-5. No HDDs

-M.2 SSD or SSD mounted with velcro/double sided tape

-No side panel window

-ALL steel case

-Plastic or rubber motherboard standoffs

-No fans, no Case IO if surrounded by plastic

-Air cooled CPU, cooler not touching case

-Lots of prayer to Lord GabeN

If it comes to that, I think my PC would be my least concern, besides, if they detonate EMP then there will be no power anyway, and you will have no fridge for food, no cooker, no lighting, 

Also, you are probably at war.......

doubt you are gonna fire up counter strike

You clearly do not know me.. xD

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

you'd need to put your pc inside a farraday cage, preferably grounded to earth as well as you can to safely dispose of the charge.

and with farraday cage i mean pretty intense farraday cage, and 100% no holes trough it, so no power cords, no breathing holes, no anything.

or put a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage and so on until it's as protected :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

or put a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage in a Faraday cage and so on until it's as protected :P

26883235.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

My concern would be protecting data from an EMP, it would be possible to eventually rebuild computers and the power grid.

Absolutely!

Like the SAS survival guide Ebook :)

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/Tempest

However, this tech isn't permitted for consumer use. 

Excellent! Well Done!

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10