Best GTX 970 out there?

I was planning on getting an R9 380X but its performance, although great against the GTX 960 4GB was good, didn't live up to my expectations on how it was going to perform in Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (which are the games I'm looking forward to play this holiday)

So I'm thinking that the Best GTX 970 around is the G1 Gaming from Gigabyte just because of the thermal image I saw from a review in Guru3D.

I was originally thinking about getting a Strix but it seems the highest temperature it gets 83 degrees Celsius in one area of the card, and on Gigabyte the worst was actually 65 degrees Celsius.

I think the temps has an overall impact on the cards' longevity.

What do you guys think?

Any owners out there?

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

My Nitro 390's average temperature playing Fallout 4 is 54.4c, I use Trixx to keep track of it.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The GTX 970 G1 Gaming from Gigabyte was the best, but now a new one from Gigabyte is the best the GTX 970 Xtreme Gaming.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I have a G1 Gaming 970, shoved into an HP prebuilt with no more than a few millimeters of breathing room, and it hits 75 C max, even in that oven case, and overclocks to 1250 Mhz. I would definitely recommend. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I was planning on getting an R9 380X but its performance, although great against the GTX 960 4GB was good, didn't live up to my expectations on how it was going to perform in Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (which are the games I'm looking forward to play this holiday)

So I'm thinking the that the Best GTX 970 around is the G1 Gaming from Gigabyte just because of the thermal image I saw from a review in Guru3D.

I was originally thinking about getting a Strix but it seems the highest temperature it gets 83 degrees Celsius in one area of the card, and on Gigabyte the worst was actually 65 degrees Celsius.

I think the temps has an overall impact on the cards' longevity.

What do you guys think?

Any owners out there?

Gigabyte G1 Gaming is the best of them.

I've got it, it's amazing, use this mod on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/275897-tutorial-how-to-make-your-900-series-video-card-have-a-0-fan-mode/ and it will be silent at idle just like the strix.

My g1 gaming gets up to roughly 72c when running benchmarks or gaming when given a pretty significant overclock, and with a custom fan curve set to help decrease noise at lower temps and increase cooling at higher temps while still not being too excessive with the noise levels.

I can get +125Mhz core and +494Mhz memory clock speeds just by setting the power limit to 112%, no crashing or anything with it, pretty damn nice. (1500Mhz core, 8Ghz memory)

Though looking at this, gigabyte might be replacing the g1 gaming at the top of the charts with the xtreme gaming:

http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1405

Imo the xtreme looks really cool, maybe I'll get one of those in the future to pair with my current g1 gaming :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

HOF

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

HOF

There is no HOF 970...

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

There is no HOF 970...

Lol I'll let my once eGF who turned out to be a male deal with you. He was faster at linking it anyways :)

Actually I'll link the actual cards for sale since all he gave you was a review.

http://galaxstore.net/GALAX-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970-HOF-4GB_p_37.html

I guess you'll say there is no Santa and that Elvis really is dead next...

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Just to make you guys get my feels, I missed a sale of a GTX 980 HOF that went for the same price as a GTX 970 G1 :lol: :funnynotfunny:

But to its defence, I didn't have the money at that time so...

I know some of you guys recommend a 390. I see some and they are at the same price range as the 970.

The G1 gaming of both versions cost almost the same.

I don't know, I have 2-3 weeks to think about it though.

If I see that GTX 980 again, I might take it though as it came up the same price as the GTX 970 G1.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."