Can you spot a persons age by the way they type?

Moondrelor

Kids are awesome, I love hanging out with them as long as they're mature. They're so much more fun to be around than boring old my-age people because they have that seemingly limitless supply of energy. I've met tons of kids with the sharpest heads on their shoulders I've ever seen.

Me: Hey, you like vegetables, right?
Kid I met in Japan(7 at the time): Yep!
Me: What kinds do you like?
Kid: Hmm... broccoli, carrots, parsnips... *lists off a column of vegetables I've never heard come from a kid on their list of likes*... and tomatoes.
Me: Wow, cool... But you know, tomatoes aren't vegetables.
Kid: Really? What are they?
Me: They're fruit.
Kid: Ehhh? how are they fruit?

Me: They've got seeds.

Kid: ....Ohhhhhhh ok.
Me: If it has seeds in it, it's a fruit.
Kid: Hmmmm... then what about cucumbers?

Me: ( ;°_°) uhhhhhhhhh.... (I hadn't put two and two together by now and didn't know that indeed, cucumbers do technically count as fruit)... let me look that up...
Kid: =.=

Oh, and kids are also brilliant resources for learning a second language, because the language they use is simpler, and they don't mind as much when you make a mistake.

so, no, age does not mean mature or immature, and mature does not mean old.

Kids are awesome, I love hanging out with them as long as they're mature. They're so much more fun to be around than boring old my-age people because they have that seemingly limitless supply of energy. I've met tons of kids with the sharpest heads on their shoulders I've ever seen.

Me: Hey, you like vegetables, right?

Kid I met in Japan(7 at the time): Yep!

Me: What kinds do you like?

Kid: Hmm... broccoli, carrots, parsnips... *lists off a column of vegetables I've never heard come from a kid on their list of likes*... and tomatoes.

Me: Wow, cool... But you know, tomatoes aren't vegetables.

Kid: Really? What are they?

Me: They're fruit.

Kid: Ehhh? how are they fruit?

Me: They've got seeds.

Kid: ....Ohhhhhhh ok.

Me: If it has seeds in it, it's a fruit.

Kid: Hmmmm... then what about cucumbers?

Me: ( ;°_°) uhhhhhhhhh.... (I hadn't put two and two together by now and didn't know that indeed, cucumbers do technically count as fruit)... let me look that up...

Kid: =.=

Yeah but that's 7. Now put him in a competitive game with you. It's typically the 9-15 year olds that are the bad rotten ones that you want to mute.

Yeah but that's 7. Now put him in a competitive game with you. It's typically the 9-15 year olds that are the bad rotten ones that you want to mute.

Yeah, but that's for competitive games. Of course they're gonna be the annoying little gits who laugh when they kill you but bitch when you kill them. That's the general demographic of kids who play things like CS:GO. I was just giving a general example of how good kids can be in a normal environment.

Yeah, but that's for competitive games. Of course they're gonna be the annoying little gits who laugh when they kill you but bitch when you kill them. That's the general demographic of kids who play things like CS:GO. I was just giving a general example of how good kids can be in a normal environment.

Yeah, in a normal environment i love them, but typically over the internet is not normal environment. I've met very few well mannered kids. Hell, here in America I've noticed a huge difference between parenting from Thailand and America. I want to beat the shit out of some of these kids here in America -__- Geez, I can't even begin to word my hatred and anger towards some of these parents. 

m8 ill shag ur nan jus after i rek u m9

im 25 and 9/11 quarters xdddddddd

2013 called. They want their memes back.

Yeah, in a normal environment i love them, but typically over the internet is not normal environment. I've met very few well mannered kids. Hell, here in America I've noticed a huge difference between parenting from Thailand and America. I want to beat the shit out of some of these kids here in America -__- Geez, I can't even begin to word my hatred and anger towards some of these parents. 

Join the club. Asian and European kids - good as gold.

American kids - Spoiled, entitled, whiny little buggers.

British kids - Like americans, but with an annoyingly "pompous" edge to their voice.

/generalization

Not really, you may be able to spot really young kids from their behavior but even that it's pretty hard.

Take me for example, my english skill could be tagged as mediocre at best, so you may think that I'm young but the thing is that english is not my first language so that's causing my grammar mistakes.

And even from a behavior point of view it's hard to guess, old people may act like kids just like the opposite may happen.

Not really, you may be able to spot really young kids from their behavior but even that it's pretty hard.

Take me for example, my english skill could be tagged as mediocre at best, so you may think that I'm young but the thing is that english is not my first language so that's causing my grammar mistakes.

And even from a behavior point of view it's hard to guess, old people may act like kids just like the opposite may happen.

There is more to typing than you think. Questions they ask, how they respond and take advice, if they clearly have a job or not, ect. You can tell by their log in habits as well. You can very easily distinguish a child from an adult 80% of the time.

No.

You have twelve year olds with good or bad grammar, just like you have 30 year olds with good or bad grammar.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

No.

You have twelve year olds with good or bad grammar, just like you have 30 year olds with good or bad grammar.

Grammar is only a very small potion in typing habits.

True, but it is something people often like to judge people on.

Of course you have vocabulary too, like if they use big words or they just explain certain types of terms, rather than using the term itself

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Usually with people for whom English is not their first language, the grammatical and spelling errors are understandable for people without an extensive understanding of English. Whereas with little kids with English as their actual first language, who ought to know better, the errors are usually blindingly obvious even to non-native speakers. Personally, I can spot the difference a mile off.

I don't know if one would be able to accurately guess another's age via their typing habits because  I do know of (I know personally, even) people who are very well-spoken IRL but the complete opposite online and vice versa. It is rare, but it happens.

I'm one of those rare people who practice good grammar and general English both in text and in speech. Yay, I guess.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I wouldn't think so. I mean sometimes its blatantly obvious and in that case, yeah. 

"if you dont capitalize anything then you are probably under 17 especially the i."

For example:

i just got the fallout pipboy edition!

This one bugs me the most^

If You Capitalize Every Single Word Then I Don't Know What That Says Lol.

Aside from those two, If you use big words then that usually indicates as older. But just from typing alone, no. Its too broad and there are too many outliers. 

Not really, but I can tell when someone, usually a young smartass, is being pretentious by using large, complicated words in a feeble attempt to hide their actual immaturity. Words cannot express how much it irritates me.

My younger brother is a prime example of this.

I Can Tell If Someone Has Just A Really Obnoxious, In-Your-Face Personality When They Type Like This All Of The Time.

12-year olds have a habit of abbreviating words that ought not to be abbreviated.

teenage girls in their cliquey angsty, and possibly ValleyGirl phase when they start repetitiously using "omg" and "like" and "totally". They really piss me off.

Illiterate 19-year-old high school dropouts usually misspell or mispronounce half their words, (words that my 3rd grade teacher would have cursed me into the ground for misspelling), and then when you call them out they usually respond with something like "shuddafukup fagut."

There are also the older people out there, you know, the ones who for whatever reason, are still living in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and are of the firm opinion that people who are more than 10 years younger than them don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, and use that as justification to condescend and belittle them, and to reject their valid points of view as ridiculous and of no worth. Because we all know that age is the end-all, be-all measure of wisdom, intelligence and authority these days, don't we?

Any fool should be able to spot them instantly - you can see the sarcastic chiding oozing and dripping from the text.

I love it, you have absolutely made my day with this. Such a picture that you have managed to paint with your words... what a masterpiece... fantastic  :lol:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

First of all, we must internalize the 'flatulation' of the matter by transmitting the effervescence of the 'Indianisian' proximity in order to further segregate the crux of my venereal infection. Now, if I may retain my liquids here for one moment. I'd like to continue the 'redundance' of my quote, unquote 'intestinal tract', you see because to preclude on the issue of world domination would only circumvent - excuse me, circumcise the revelation that reflects the 'Afro-disiatic' symptoms which now perpetrates the Jheri Curis activation. Allow me to expose my colon once again. The ramification inflicted on the incision placed within the Fallopian cavities serves to be holistic taken from the Latin word 'jalapeno'. Only then will we be able to evacuate , excuse me , ejaculate the proper age of a person.

Also, I believe it was Plato ... No, excuse me, I mean Play-Doh ... who stuck to the wall when he said one must not put one's transvestite in jeopardy if one is to become a cunning linguist.

/s

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

post-77647-0-47295800-1448305491.jpg

I'm sorry, I had to.

But seriously, though, grammar is pretty small compared to other things. At least to a certain extent, at least in English. Once you start messing up sentence structure beyond even the bounds of English (which is what some 12-year-olds do, strangely enough), then it starts being a shitstorm. But by then there are generally illegible spelling mistakes.

I would say it's difficult. You might be able to infer someone's age from their writing style, but in reality it's more of a wild guess then an educated assessment.

Also, maturity != age, which can make it more difficult (immature adult vs. mature teen/young adult).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

There is more to typing than you think. Questions they ask, how they respond and take advice, if they clearly have a job or not, ect. You can tell by their log in habits as well. You can very easily distinguish a child from an adult 80% of the time.

Maybe, but it's not that simple.

Try to take a shot at my age :P (it's not really a secret I said it before, and it's pretty easy to find out but... let's see) 

-snip-

I'm sorry, I had to.

But seriously, though, grammar is pretty small compared to other things. At least to a certain extent, at least in English. Once you start messing up sentence structure beyond even the bounds of English (which is what some 12-year-olds do, strangely enough), then it starts being a shitstorm. But by then there's generally illegible spelling mistakes.

Oh, I see what you did there. I said potion not portion. Woops. Lol. Good meme. Good pun.

I would say it's difficult. You might be able to infer someone's age from their writing style, but in reality it's more of a wild guess then an educated assessment.

Also, maturity != age, which can make it more difficult (immature adult vs. mature teen/young adult).

I 100% agree with that.

If You Capitalize Every Single Word Then I Don't Know What That Says Lol.

Pretty sure it says that you're Will Smith's son...

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Oh, I see what you did there. I said potion not portion. Woops. Lol. Good meme. Good pun.

Forgive me, drelor, for verily I have stooped.